Tier-lists (now & after patch) - Tom Brady & REO

#1 Edited by FLStyle (4590 posts) -

Tom Brady

Pre-patch

Tier
Characters
 TopCyber Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kabal(block inf), Kano, Cyrax, Nightwolf, Johnny Cage, Ermac, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung, Sindel(reset inf)
 Upper-MidKitana, Sonya, Mileena, Reptile, Noob, Scorpion, Liu Kang, Smoke
 MidJade, Sektor
 LowStryker, Jax, Quan Chi,
 BottomSheeva, Baraka

Post-patch

TierCharacters
 TomRaiden, Shang Tsung, Kano, Nightwolf, Johnny Cage, Ermac, Kung Lao, Cyber Sub-Zero, Sub-Zero
 Upper-MidCyrax, Sindel, Scorpion, Liu Kang, Kitana, Mileena, Reptile, Noob, Sonya, Kabal, Skarlet
 MidJade, Smoke, Sektor, Stryker
 LowJax
 BottomQuan Chi, Sheeva, Baraka

REO

Pre-patch

TierCharacters
 TopKung Lao, Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, Cyrax, Sonya, Kabal, Reptile, Sindel, Jade, Nightwolf, Raiden, Cyber Sub-Zero
 Upper-MidLiu Kang, Ermac, Noob, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Kano, Kitana
 MidScorpion, Mileena, Sektor, Stryker, Quan Chi
 LowJax, Baraka, Sheeva 
 Bottom 

Post-patch

TierCharacters
 TopKung Lao, Sub-Zero, Jade, Nightwolf, Raiden, Cyber Sub- Zero, Johnny Cage, Reptile, Kano
 Upper-MidLiu Kang, Sindel, Ermac, Noob, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Kabal, Kitana
 MidScorpion, Mileena, Sektor, Cyrax, Sonya, Stryker, Sheeva, Baraka 
 LowJax, Quan Chi 
 Bottom 

I believe this is the closest thing to a true tier list until the frame data of the characters is released. I agree with most of that from what I've seen. Surprised to see that REO thinks Cyrax is going to get hit so badly once his bomb-trap has been removed. Cyber-Sub has risen quickly following REO himself going far with him in tournaments.

And even Skarlett is there on Tom's list, getting that insider info like only he can.
#2 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Kung Lao sure is a popular character.

#3 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

seems about right after watching several tournaments

#4 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Awesome, my two favorite characters, Scorpion and Kano, both rank pretty well. Not that I'm anywhere near good enough for that to matter to my play, but I would like to see more of them in tournaments going forwards.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (23941 posts) -

The lovely thing about these lists is that Sheeva and Baraka are apparently as useless in tournaments as they are in the story mode. :P

#6 Posted by karatetron (690 posts) -

Tom Brady confirmed as Mortal Kombat DLC character?

#7 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

those do look right consider what we've seen so far in tournaments

i thought Baraka would be higher up considering they kept saying how better he's suppose to be, surprised that Skarlet is up there, isnt she banned from Tournaments? or will be i should say lol

#8 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -

Well that explains why getting any real damage out of Sektor is like pulling teeth. 

#9 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

Always fucking knew Cyber-Sub was awesome. He just had that peculiar quality. 

#10 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

How is there no bottom tier? Confused >_>

#11 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -
@NickL said:
I think the implication is that no character is truly bad. It just means a skilled Sub-Zero player who plays a perfect game will always beat a skilled Sheeva who also plays a perfect game. 
#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
@NickL said:
I think the implication is that no character is truly bad. It just means a skilled Sub-Zero player who plays a perfect game will always beat a skilled Sheeva who also plays a perfect game. 
This.  Most people consider everyone in the game to be solid.  Sure there are some characters better then others, but that's fighting games for you.
#13 Posted by FLStyle (4590 posts) -
@NinjaMime said:
Tier lists don't mean anything for me, I think it ultimately depends on who is controlling the character. If I was going against Justin Wong playing Sheeva and I was playing Kung Lao, I think I would get my ass kicked still.
That's the whole point of tier-lists, they're made with high-level players who are on equal standing in mind. For us they're a look at how balanced the game has been made and what to expect at tournaments.
#14 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Interesting list.  I saw the list of post-patch changes on Joystiq a few minutes ago.  I typically use Sub-Zero's X-ray after a freeze, and I thought that I'd noticed it do less damage.

#15 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Pretty happy that the ice themed characters are top tier.

#16 Posted by Pessh (2454 posts) -

lolthisisatierlistoksure

#17 Posted by FLStyle (4590 posts) -
@Pessh said:
lolthisisatierlistoksure
So you plan on trolling every fighting game-related thread I made now? That's where we're at?
#18 Posted by Pessh (2454 posts) -
@FLStyle said:
@Pessh said:
lolthisisatierlistoksure
So you plan on trolling every fighting game-related thread I made now? That's where we're at?
A 'Tier List' with unreleased characters and no matchup data, just a month after release is a load of bull. Nothing to do with you lol, you'll never be that special.
#19 Posted by FLStyle (4590 posts) -
@Pessh said:
@FLStyle said:
@Pessh said:
lolthisisatierlistoksure
A 'Tier List' with unreleased characters and no matchup data, just a month after release is a load of bull. Nothing to do with you lol, you'll never be that special.
Quit fucking around then and just say it in a literal thought-out manner instead of prompting face-palms with your bullshit. I clearly said in the opening post that it wasn't a true tier-list but what I thought was the closest thing to.
#20 Posted by Ulong (444 posts) -
@xhavoc86 said:
those do look right consider what we've seen so far in tournaments

i thought Baraka would be higher up considering they kept saying how better he's suppose to be, surprised that Skarlet is up there, isnt she banned from Tournaments? or will be i should say lol

DLC Characters won't be banned in tournaments if other major fighting games are anything to go buy. And no reason they would be. There's a big difference between the access players have to a 5 dollar dlc character, and the access players have to a console exclusive character like Kratos (who is banned)
#21 Posted by OneManX (1681 posts) -

Isn''t Tom Brady a BETA tester? So him having knowledge of Skarlett wouldn't be that far-fetched?

as for the lists, I'm shocked to see Cyber Sub zero that high, considering didn't see much if any of him in the PDP Tourney.

#22 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

i wonder what specific nerf is making smoke be bumped down a level. i just started picking him up too.

#23 Posted by MKF30 (81 posts) -

Tom was a tester for the game. 

And I've played REO, online but I'm sure soon offline since we live in the same area. I'm in NYC, he's out in L.I. 

But this list has changed since then between the nerfs, updates etc. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.