Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Yes, its early to talk about a sequel....

xForceCh0keYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xForceCh0keYou

But I was thinking about, and it would be pretty cool if they went and made a game that covered the stories of 4-Armageddon.....sure, a lot of the new characters sucked, but who knows, they could be a lot more fun to play using the MK9 engine...

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I hope they keep going, I'll be fair and say that I barely played MK9 after I finished storymode.
    They could, and should, start out with a nice big DLC pack in my opinion.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

I see no reason for a sequal yet.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kjellm87

Enough MK, where is Darkstalkers?

xForceCh0keYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xForceCh0keYou
    @Hizang said:
    Neither do I, I'm just saying that as much as the newer games sucked and pretty much all of the new characters were pretty lame....I wouldn't mind seeing them in a game that plays more like MK9
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang
    @xForceCh0keYou said:
    @Hizang said:
    Neither do I, I'm just saying that as much as the newer games sucked and pretty much all of the new characters were pretty lame....I wouldn't mind seeing them in a game that plays more like MK9

Some of the PS2 MK games were pretty good..
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

If they do make a sequel, which the most likely will, I want them to take their sweet ass time with it.  If it comes out in two years, that's too soon.  Let the community play the game and grow before releasing a new game.

xForceCh0keYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xForceCh0keYou
    @JJOR64 said:
    If they do make a sequel, which the most likely will, I want them to take their sweet ass time with it.  If it comes out in two years, that's too soon.  Let the community play the game and grow before releasing a new game.
    this
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @xForceCh0keYou said:
    But I was thinking about, and it would be pretty cool if they went and made a game that covered the stories of 4-Armageddon.....sure, a lot of the new characters sucked, but who knows, they could be a lot more fun to play using the MK9 engine...
    I say throw those characters away, keep the MK9 character dead and make a new roster. 

What killed fighting games the first time were bloated rosters of rehashed characters and moves.
    Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Moody_yeti

I think  they should patch the online play tbh before a sequel.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bestostero

Definitely looking forward to a sequel, don't care if it comes out sooner or later, but i want it.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJOR64 said:
    I agree with this
    Fayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fayt

Just got it today with a new 360 (never owned a console this generation!) and loving it!  So much replay value here that I don't think I'll be needing a sequel for a while, but maybe I'm still exploding with joy from owning a new console :P

Korrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Korrz
    @JJOR64 said:
    I agree with this as well. There are many, many characters they can release as DLC (Give me Rain damnit!) and I would love some more costumes too.  If they need to get their boxed copies sales up, do an ultimate edition with all the DLC characters, maybe a new set of x-rays for the characters?  Either way, there's plenty of ways for them to make money without jumping right into the next game; they've got a solid base here in this engine to expand upon.
    Greenlight13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Greenlight13

WARNING: STORY MODE SPOILERS

I was thinking about this myself in a "where do they go from here way". Now I don't want a sequel anytime soon, but come on, if you sell over a million copies of a game you're going to make a sequel, that's just the business.

But where DO they go? The ending of story mode clearly sets up a re-telling of MK4. Now I kind of enjoyed it because I'm just an MK die-hard and am in the small minority that love Quan Chi and Shinnok. Tanya was made good in Deception, and Reiko was alright. I'm not a fan of Fujin, Kai, or Meat however. The story is a good one though, an Elder God breaking free from his prison and killing other gods. The combined powers of Quan Chi and Shinnok also allow pretty much anyone to be resurrected so all those pesky main character deaths from story mode can of course be undone.

Unfortunately it seems not everyone likes Quan Chi, and can't forgive Shinnok being a playable boss who didn't actually shapeshift and was no more challenging than the other fighters. But that will be fixed, I mean look at how much the difficulty of Kahn was ramped up! As characters I think both have nice rich backstories and some cool abilities. Quan Chi is a beast in MK9.

But if they don't redo MK4 (and perhaps beyond) then what can they do? You can't just do another story only involving those same 30 characters. At some point, new ones are going to have to be designed, but the backlash against almost every character created after MK3 is huge. Some were just uninspired like Kobra, Kira, and some were just silly, Bo' Rai Cho. But almost all the others were just acceptable. Ashrah, Mavado, Havik, Frost etc had nothing really wrong with them, it's just people couldn't accept them the same way they did the characters from the original trilogy. Skarlett looks like she plays well, but I too have that disconnect when it comes to her, she just doesn't fit.

So if they can't just start creating new characters then they HAVE to remake 4 right? Now I'd be more than fine with that as I said, but what then? Deadly Alliance and Deception? I don't think so. 

Anyone got thoughts?

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bestostero
    @Greenlight13: Of course they'll redo 4...if not 4 than definitely Deadly Alliance. A new deadly alliance between Outworld and Earthrealm against Netherrealm seems plausible, and since the main timeline is already changed, more changes are definitely possible. I think they're going straight to redoing Deadly Alliance, Kenshi was made DLC before many of the other MK4 characters after all...
    Greenlight13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Greenlight13
    @xhavoc86: Sure, but Quan Chi is playable and he's an MK4 dude, and Shinnok appears at the end. But you're right, they could do what remains of Outworld now that Kahn is gone forming an uneasy alliance with Earthrealm against Quan Chi and Shinnok. I've gone blank on what happens to Shang Tsung in story mode, but if you think about it, Kahn and Liu Kang are dead already, which was their first step, so in many ways they're ahead of the game if they choose to team up.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bestostero
    @Greenlight13: Shang Tsung was absorbed into Sindel and she was killed by Nightwolf, not sure if he was destroyed along with her or if his essence still lingers somewhere...  I'm sure it'll just be a merge of MK4 and MKDA storylines. 

Based on survivors on each side, Earthrealm is very limited...but I'm sure additions will made (Bo Rai Cho, Kai, Kenshi, etc), Outworld has a pretty decent size team so not sure if they would want to team up with Earthrealm, unless they really just don't like Netherrealm's role in Shao Kahn's demise. But then again of the people left of Outworld, none of them are leader material and most of them are pretty scrubby based on the results in storymode fights.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blueduck
    @Hizang said:
    Greenlight13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Greenlight13
    @xhavoc86: That's right, Kahn like empowers her using Tsung doesn't he. I'm guessing they repeat the moment in 4 where Scorpion learns the truth and becomes one of the forces of good again. And pretty much anyone can be resurrected, I mean Quan Chi brought back like 6 heroes at the end to fight Raiden... though they were all blacked out and lame. Still, no deaths in MK are permanent.
    Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Forever

I think at this point, now that they gave me some great mk nostalgia and established a good engine/system, they should look toward something new.  They can still use Shinnok and Quan Chi as villains, as well as a few of the important mk 1-3 characters, but I want a new roster and story.  I know they can make good characters this time! Also i think they will need something different in the story instead of just battle, cut scene, which i enjoyed but yea...that's long down the road.

captainanarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By captainanarchy

I haven't played it yet but heard many good things about it.  Another game should wait at least a couple of years.  We don't want a yearly installment of a game because people will lose interest.
    ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ninjalegend
    @xForceCh0keYou said:
    Really? Remember meat and mokap? How about Bo' Rai Cho (probably from the spanish "borracho" meaning drunk)? They should take their time, cherry pick the better characters, and just re-do the story IF and only if, they feel the magic that inspired them remaking this awesomeness. I hope their inspiration comes from the obvious love for MK the team seems to have now. Forcing a sequel may make the next feel procedural like 4 through 7.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.