You're saying it wrong!: A Raiden Kombo Video

Posted by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

It's "Rye-den" dammit! Does this bother anyone else?

Sorry I missed you guys yesterday, I was busy trying to beat inFAMOUS2 and playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 while watching the GSL Super Tournament Finals o_O. After the MK9 top 8 at NorCal Regionals I found myself wondering if Justin Wong was really maximizing his damage as Raiden. I hadn't looked at Raiden since I made my last video of him a month ago before all the damage nerfs and balance tweaks. Here's what I found out:

His damage is basically unchanged. I was able to tweak a few of the combos from before to eke out another point or two of damage and came up with a snazzy X-Ray combo, but in the end Raiden is still Raiden. Straightforward combos, straightforward offense, boring to play and flashy to watch. I completely understand why top-level Raiden players seem to be going extinct.

Skarlet comes out today, because this game needs more ninjas... I'll take a look at her later this week and try to be on the cutting edge of MK9 technology. Now I need to try and beat inFAMOUS2 so I can get back to beating LA Noire so I can start trying to pick up AE seriously and polish my incredibly rusty MvC3 skills. So many games, so little time!

#1 Posted by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

It's "Rye-den" dammit! Does this bother anyone else?

Sorry I missed you guys yesterday, I was busy trying to beat inFAMOUS2 and playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 while watching the GSL Super Tournament Finals o_O. After the MK9 top 8 at NorCal Regionals I found myself wondering if Justin Wong was really maximizing his damage as Raiden. I hadn't looked at Raiden since I made my last video of him a month ago before all the damage nerfs and balance tweaks. Here's what I found out:

His damage is basically unchanged. I was able to tweak a few of the combos from before to eke out another point or two of damage and came up with a snazzy X-Ray combo, but in the end Raiden is still Raiden. Straightforward combos, straightforward offense, boring to play and flashy to watch. I completely understand why top-level Raiden players seem to be going extinct.

Skarlet comes out today, because this game needs more ninjas... I'll take a look at her later this week and try to be on the cutting edge of MK9 technology. Now I need to try and beat inFAMOUS2 so I can get back to beating LA Noire so I can start trying to pick up AE seriously and polish my incredibly rusty MvC3 skills. So many games, so little time!

#2 Posted by GregIsRad (164 posts) -

Are you telling us, the players, about the pronunciation? Or are you telling Ed Boon & Co. that they've been saying it wrong for 20 years?
It's RAY-DEN in-game. Yes, I know, it goes against traditional Japanese pronunciation, but that's how it's always been, and I can't imagine saying it any other way.

#3 Posted by GregIsRad (164 posts) -

p.s. cool vid

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

@GregIsRad said:

Are you telling us, the players, about the pronunciation? Or are you telling Ed Boon & Co. that they've been saying it wrong for 20 years?It's RAY-DEN in-game. Yes, I know, it goes against traditional Japanese pronunciation, but that's how it's always been, and I can't imagine saying it any other way.

Neither. I haven't played an MK game since MK2 and so between MGS etc and every teenage nerd in the 90s being way into anime and everything Japanese it just was really disconcerting when I popped in MK9 and heard "Lord Rayden" for the first time time since 1993. It still makes my brain hurt a little bit when I hear it, mostly because I'm a stickler for pronunciation, but I've learned long ago to deal with "Ree-you," "Rye-you," or "Roo" (thanks Seth Killian).

Also thanks for watching :D

#5 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (895 posts) -

I think it's too engrained into the mythos by now for them to change it to the correct pronunciation. Back when MK1 came out nobody in America really knew how to pronounce Japanese stuff, and to suddenly change the pronunciation would be weird, though this reboot would've admittedly been the best time to start. The arcade games all said Rayden, the movies said Rayden, and everyone I've ever heard talk about MK says Rayden. It's not like Street Fighter where the character's name was intended to be pronounced Ree-you but none of the American audience knew how to pronounce it, Raiden was always intended to be pronounced Rayden, and even if the creators pronounced it that way out of ignorance, they've embraced that pronunciation and that's just the character's name.

Side note: They also pronounce Shirai-Ryu "wrong" in the new game, pronouncing Ryu as "Rye-you", the way people used to think the Street Fighter character's name was pronounced.

#6 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I blame Metal Gear Solid 2. I can't even enjoy Rye-den without thinking of Raiden. At least I still have Ryan.

#7 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

Can't you just rationalize it by saying he's not, strictly speaking, "Rye-den" the Japanese Thunder God? I'm no expert on Shinto, but I highly doubt there's anything in there mythos about interdenominational death tournaments. Hell, he even answers to Nightwolf calling him Haokah, the Lakota thunder god. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.