Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Zero interest in online play. Still worth a purchase?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cincaid

After reading review after review praising the game, and also realizing I haven't played a MK game since MK2 on my SNES, I must admit my interest got bigger and bigger. Although I must admit that my interest in any form of online play, be it ranked or "for fun", is almost nonexistant.

Do you think it's still worth picking this up, just looking at it from a singleplayer perspective (and a couch vs.-match here and there against visiting friends)?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Single-player looks fun, but I can't see a fighting-game being a viable purchase for only that.

Unless you have people to play versus with, in which case it is totally worthwhile.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cincaid
    @GetEveryone:
    I see your point. It's impossible for me to get my girlfriend to play any games, but I guess visiting friends here and there might validate a purchase.

Maybe I'll wait for a pricedrop.
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Rayeth

Did you read Jeff's review?

He said the single player is a 7-8 hour affair.  There are tons of challenge modes and arcade ladders for you to do if you want.

Whether that all justifies a purchase is up to you.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ben_H

I'm in the same boat.  I'm picking it up after I finish my lunch.  I may get xbox live again after finals are done, but for now, it will be offline only.  The story mode looks cool and i really like challenge mode type stuff so I think it will be fun.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang

I'm not much into the online fighting scene, I enjoyed MVC3 offline just fine
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cincaid
    @Ben_H:
    I have Live, but just no interest in getting beaten into the ground, hehe.

But yeah, I love the whole crypt-unlocking-part and challenges...!
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Bestostero

Yes!  Challenge Tower, Story Mode, Test Your luck, etc all very fun things to do.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ryanwho

MK games have more single player content than any other fighting game. Soul Calibur comes in a distant second on account of their peripheral content collectively sucking pretty hard.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By CenturionCajun

I've been playing the single player for nearly three hours so far and haven't seen anywhere near all the characters in the game yet. It is also rather incredible how the game switches from the flat fight plane to the cutscenes seemlessly. I also have to hand it to them that the story and voice acting are passable to good. Throw in the huge Krypt full of things to unlock and the Challenge Tower and I would say that if you like Mortal Kombat this will easily keep your attention playing single player.

Raidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raidy

There's no question this game has the most bang-for-buck single player experience out of any fighting game on the market right now.  If you like fighting games in general, it's well worth a purchase for single player / occasional local MP alone.   The sheer amount of modes and characters will keep it interesting for quite a while, and if you are a fan of past MK games, it's a definite must have for the story mode and familiar characters.  

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By TechHits
    @CrazyChris: it's a fighting game, no matter what it will be the most fun when you're playing with a real person. If you have friends that would be willing to play with you, get it. If you don't know a single fighting game fan, I wouldn't even with the single player story there are much better single player experiences out there. Just my thought anyhow. 
    dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By dpedal1

Playing online is a ton of fun, but I don't think you will be disappointed if you stay with all the single player content.  There are A TON of things to do, so I would say go for it.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob

Its a fighting game. Its made for multiplayer.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Noct

I primarily play fighting games SP; you're not alone out there. I've had some stints with playing online, but I get so frusterated with the disconnections and constant verbal abuse that I just tire of it.

I have friends who will play a match or two with me on occasion locally, but as they don't own the games themselves typically, they get frusterated pretty fast and we move on to something else.

Anyways, point being, I buy every fighting game out there, I'm a fanatical fan, and this one will be holding my interest for al ong time to come, I can promise you that. I loved MvsC3, but I've already stopped playing it, I bought a 3DS just to play SSF4 in 3D, and that started to bore me after about one night, but I've put in about 20 hours on MK in the past two days, and I'm watching the clock at work so I can go home and bow to it some more.

Simply put, if you like fighters, and have any interest in MK, it's a definate purchase in my humble opinion. It's exploding at the seams with content, and has so many different variations on how to play that it will take you a long, long time to get bored. I don't want to give anything away, but there are modes uch as Test your luck that toss a bunch of random Kombat Kodes and such at you and the results are hyterical and a blast to play, AI or not.

I say buy it, you will not be sorry. it's easily in the top 5 fighting games ever made from my perspective, and I'm calling it GOTY as far as I'm concerned. (At least, so far.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.