Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Motion Control

Concept »

Using gestures with the controller to control on-screen actions. Alternatively, these gestures can also be detected by motion-sensing cameras.

Motion, Nintendo, and the Gaming Industry as a Whole

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

Edited By JackiJinx

Now that Nintendo no longer holds the market in motion gaming, how do you believe this will effect the gaming industry?

It is my belief that, like Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony will take on a much more casual audience like they are probably anticipating. Does that mean a giant slew of multi-platform shovel-ware titles with the core audience forever being pushed aside? I do not think so. What I do think will happen is that Nintendo will have a significant decrease in sales once these other peripherals are out, leaving Nintendo in the dust, and either forcing Nintendo to change it's incredibly kid and mom oriented market for a more creative outlet like the company originally had, find a way to or even develop higher quality software geared towards a general audience (yes, I'm talking about the ridiculous dress-up games and pet games), or, the least likely, will stay stubbron and turn into Sega.

I am very curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By JackiJinx

Now that Nintendo no longer holds the market in motion gaming, how do you believe this will effect the gaming industry?

It is my belief that, like Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony will take on a much more casual audience like they are probably anticipating. Does that mean a giant slew of multi-platform shovel-ware titles with the core audience forever being pushed aside? I do not think so. What I do think will happen is that Nintendo will have a significant decrease in sales once these other peripherals are out, leaving Nintendo in the dust, and either forcing Nintendo to change it's incredibly kid and mom oriented market for a more creative outlet like the company originally had, find a way to or even develop higher quality software geared towards a general audience (yes, I'm talking about the ridiculous dress-up games and pet games), or, the least likely, will stay stubbron and turn into Sega.

I am very curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Disgaeamad

I'm of the opinion that Sony'll be able to implement the Playstation Dildo into games geared towards the more "hardcore" audience. It might take a while, but I can definitely see them pulling it off.

As for Nintendo, I'm hoping for the former option you presented.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

I think Nintendo will probably come out with a seperate system at some point that is both more powerful and uses an upgraded Wii remote in the next 3 years in order to hold on to some of the hardcore, and continue on with the wii for a few years (with the people the wii is targeted at, brand recognition is everything, so the Wii will likely continue to be dominant in the casual market). At any rate, Nintendo won't become sega. they were the ones that saw what the Wii and DS would go on to do, so i have little doubt that they have a strategy. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

Sony's presentation today was the first time since early VR implementations that I saw a potential product which could make awesome games.

I think concepts like motion control, voice and face recognition, and advanced AI are all absolutely necessary for the evolution of gaming.  However, gimmicky elements like the waggle of early Wii games are just crap.

Even Wii Motion Plus seems to make available massive strides in motion based gameplay.  I don't want to play every game standing up making massive motions, but just stuff like frizbee throwing and archery in Wii Sports Resort looks appealing to me.

The success / failures all depend on things outside gaming.  A good marketing campaign will always win out over actually having a quality product.  I can't tell you who will win because it depends on stuff like pricing, and if you can get people to pick up the product and tell others.  Mass market success depends on ignorant people, no matter what.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ZeroCast

This will drastically shape the future of gaming, Sony and Microsoft entering Motion Controlled gaming puts Nintendo in the corner of stuff because not only will they have to think of new innovative ideas, but the fierce competition that this new technology will create, is just unbelievable and could expand into so many ways.

I do believe Nintendo is not going to pull the plug just yet, they will try to sustain there place on the market as the definitive (and starters) of Motion based gaming, but like you said, if they stay stubborn and not do anything, then they might as well release Wii HD in E3 2010!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Technology is irrelevant, lady. If technology were relevant, sales and popularity would've been a lot different in the past generations.

It's in the marketing.

And sorry, but Nintendo has got the marketing perfected to such a high degree, pinned down to such a spot-on essence, and is following that path so relentlessly (as the conference showed once again!), and has the market in such a tight grasp, that Sony and Microsoft could make a motion controller that prints bacon and they would still get only a little slice of the Nintendo nongamer pie.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Nintendo is screwed. They still have not figured out that their audience is just not into the whole gaming thing. I bet that over half of the casual non-gamers who bought a Wii are still playing Wii sports on it and have not gotten into other games.
    With the release of Sony's incredible tech demo and Microsoft's innovative "No controller" dealie-o. Nintendo is left in the dust as being innovative and then outdone.

Nintendo also released the heart monitor so they can listen to their own pulse slowly wither and die.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Feanor

Natal seems like it could have a huge impact on the casual gaming industry.  You are going to see hundreds of titles designed around this hardware.  A lot of people are just calling it another eye toy, which is kind of true, but its a better eye toy.  Also when the eye toy was out, moms,grandmas, and families were not playing video games like they are now.

But I do not see this type of hardware changing how we play any of the games that we are use to.  Could you imagine if they implemented this to a game like MGS?  How awful would that be?  But if they use this with something like Bloom Box? It would be amazing.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I'm content with Nintendo feeding me crumbs as they gorge on the masses. They're ahead, they're lean, and Wii Sports Resort will sale big along with the Motion Plus.

I hope the new motion controllers do will, but the Xbox 360 is known to fail... Hell, I'm scared every time it makes a different noise... it's a gamer machine and the things they like. Sony still has work to do even as impressive as their showing was.

Who is going to buy and Xbox 360 for casual games, excercise... Cost of machine and Natal would be up there.
    Sony... Take what Nintendo did and do it better. So they hope.
    Nintendo played some cards and won... feeding off the masses.

Playstation 3 is looking long-term. Microsoft is working on their share. Nintendo is the card company mafia.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ThomasP

Nintendo's owned these last four years. The DS and Wii are both successes. Microsoft and Sony are now following suit and expanding on the foundation Nintendo's laid down. The Natal camera looks really nice and Sony's remote/controller/dildo demonstration was excellent.

Nintendo will be fine and continue to make games that I love. I'm stoked for New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Golden Sun DS, Galaxy 2 and the new Metroid. These are all games from Nintendo announced today. Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Sin & Punishment 2, Pikimin 3 and a new Zelda for Wii are all confirmed, as well.

Nintendo are going to be just fine, as usual. They could add HD graphics and a more robust online experience. That's about all they need.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.