Please no more motion controls...

#1 Posted by jobe13 (15 posts) -

I'm sorry, but as cool as the technology behind Natal or any motion control is I just can't seem to care about it. I work in a factory for 10 hours every day. The last thing I want to do is come home and jump around in front of my tv. I fully support innovation and am impressed with what they've come up with, but I'm afraid it's just not for me.

#2 Edited by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

Yeah well guess what buddy. you aren't where the money is anymore. :\

Complain all you want but motion controls are bringing in all the money right now, and whether they are a fad, or a technology that will last forever, they are for now, here to stay.

Just don't buy games that use them, while we aren't bringing in the big Wii bucks at the moment, traditional games are still selling by the bucketload, buy those. Vote with your money.

Edit: Besides, what about people who press buttons for 10 hours a day? I'd say some of them might want to come home and wave their arms around for a bit. Maybe.

#3 Posted by AndrewB (7567 posts) -

I'm certainly hoping there won't be a major shift over to motion controls for all games anytime soon. The gamepad should still have a place. Having a choice between more (if admittedly, little) exercise and relaxing would be nice.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Then you don't have to buy it :\? Besides, the "wave my hands around" quote I'm hearing sounds a lot like when non-gaming douchebags (focus on the douchebag, not the non-gaming) describe gaming by holding a fake controller and swerving it about like an idiot. You know what I'm talking about.

#5 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

sadly, it is how the future is going to be like. it looks like PC gaming is going to be where it's at. it just requires a keyboard and mouse to play on. i know some people think that ti will be expensive but it really isn't if u buy it and build it urself. you don't have to upgrade for a couple of years. i'm still playing on pentium 4, it runs crysis on high.

#6 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

I just hope we won't be forced to use that crap in the future. I like having a controller in my hand. As cool as it is, I don't want to shoot terrorists by mimicking the movements in front of the television screen like a monkey.

#7 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I'm all for more motion. The more motion the better. They should come up with a superhero and make a game about him.

MotionMan

Coming to a motion controlled console near you.
#8 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

Nobody should be worried about motion controls replacing every other control scheme in gaming. What previous control scheme has ever gone completely away after newer controls became available? Joysticks, pads, keyboard and mouse, touchscreens, and even rotating dials are all still in use as they have been for decades. Light guns have hit a wall with new TV tech, but there are workarounds. No traditional control scheme is going away, but motion controls are just going to bring about new types of games and ways to play them. If Microsoft even had an inkling that Natal would be the future of everything, do you really think they would have announced two Halo games at their conference? There's no reason to freak out here.

#9 Posted by c_rakestraw (843 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" I just hope we won't be forced to use that crap in the future. I like having a controller in my hand. As cool as it is, I don't want to shoot terrorists by mimicking the movements in front of the television screen like a monkey. "
I don't think we will. The standard controller still has (and always will I hope) a place in gaming, as there are simply somethings that can't be done (or at least done well) with motion controls.

Take Natal for example. From what we've seen so far, it doesn't seem like any game that requires you to move the character around (like most games these days) will be able to work well using that technology. But as I said, I'm basing that assumption on what they've shown of that so far. And if I'm right, then things like Natal, will probably end up being used mainly for mini-game collections, and other types of games that could easily work with that technology.

Which means, that the standard controller would probably still be used for gaming. Heck, Miyamoto himself said in a interview that he thinks a controller of some sort is necessary even with motion controls. So with that in mind, I seriously doubt we'll see the controller disappear anytime in the near future -- or at all for that matter.
#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

It's just a fad that will pass

#11 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" I just hope we won't be forced to use that crap in the future. I like having a controller in my hand. As cool as it is, I don't want to shoot terrorists by mimicking the movements in front of the television screen like a monkey. "
2 out of the big 3 motion solutions still have a controller in your hand so... As for the shooting of terrorists in particular, that's not even something new. Virtua Cop anyone? If you don't find that stuff fun, I'm glad that you're probably, hopefully, in the vast minority...
#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The current state of motion control in games is shit.  I have hope that we'll see the same kind of evolution out of motion control that we saw out of graphics.  I want to have an experience like those early 90's VR programs that required you to use a glove.

I think motion controls will be fun when subtle things like face expression recognition and finger movements are well refined.  When I can pick up a bat in a game just by moving my hand in a realistic way and use it realistically, that will be cool.

#13 Posted by Nasar7 (2611 posts) -

Motion control, more importantly, is not about current-gen games, its about pushing the limits of technology that will eventually find use in a whole variety of gaming and non-gaming purposes. Gotta see the big picture, guys.

#14 Posted by 6n00bkilla9 (149 posts) -

i completly agree i hate anything motion just give me a controller and let me play the game

#15 Posted by jobe13 (15 posts) -

I'm not freaking out about it and i understand if others enjoy it. My point was that it's not for me and I hope that it doesn't turn into another "me too" bandwagon-type issue like "casual gaming".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.