Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MotorStorm: Apocalypse

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 03, 2011

Cars, motorcycles, monster trucks and more all race together through improvised tracks in an abandoned city destroyed by an earthquake, in the fourth instalment in the MotorStorm series.

Motorstorm apocalypse annoucned

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

Taken from  http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/10/introducing-motorstorm-apocalypse/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=motorstorm_061010+

More than two years ago we decided where the MotorStorm festival should head next, and I’ve been itching to talk about it ever since. Now, as part of the global announcement, and with E3 just around the corner, it’s so exciting to finally be able to share some information about the MotorStorm Apocalypse.

Here are some of the headlines…

You May Have Heard…We’re Heading to the City!

But this is no ordinary city. In the same way that the first MotorStorm was set in Monument Valley, and MotorStorm Pacific Rift was set on ‘The Island’, inspired by Hawaii and other Pacific islands, we’ve set this MotorStorm in ‘The City’, inspired by the West Coast of America, and, in particular, the Bay Area of California.

MotorStorm’s brand of racing is not about ‘going urban’ though. We all know that the lunatic ‘Stormers would take every expectation about street racing and turn it upside-down. So this is what they’ve done. Welcome to Brutal Urban Off-Road Racing!

Post Apocalyptic? NO!

The city has been abandoned and somewhat damaged after a tremor. When the ‘Stormers find this out, they head straight in. Pretty soon, two things become clear: it isn’t completely empty and Mother Nature isn’t done yet!

Throughout the game the city will be ripped to pieces, in real-time, as you race. Routes will be affected, as will our emergent gameplay.

Buggies using collapsing walls as half-pipes. Big Rigs on the rooftops of skyscrapers as they collapse. Superbikes gunning into the basements of enormous rifts. Supercars flicking on their headlights to barrel through the subways and sewers. Multi-vehicle pile ups on giant bridges as they buckle and twist. Driving through someone’s office and smashing up their desks. It’s all there.

Two groups have also stayed behind, and neither takes too kindly to MotorStorm’s arrival. I’ll talk more about them another time, but for now I’ll say that when they realise there isn’t going to be much of a city left, they start to destroy it too.

This isn’t post-apocalyptic. It’s apocalyptic. You are there when it happens. It’s survival racing.

Variety, Chronology and Depth are King

We’ve listened to everything people said about our previous games and, as a result, one of our priorities is to make a more satifsying overall game experience. In our single-player mode, every race is unique. When a building comes down it stays down. When you race a track again, the buildings will still be down and the MotorStorm crew will have carved yet more routes into the ruined landscape. The only time you’ll see the same thing twice is when you choose to. Underscoring this chronology is the fact that you’ll get to see the game from three different viewpoints.

Nothing annoys me more than the notion that an accessible action racer must also be shallow or plain dumb. So once you have experienced the single-player journey, the true depth of our title will come to the fore. Our overhauled ‘Wreckreation’ mode has been heavily influenced by the best online titles: from shooters and action adventures, RPGs and platformers. It features:

• Sixteen player online multiplayer.
    • Four player split-screen.
    • Combinations of the two. Play with three friends in the living room against 12 more online.
    • Massive vehicle customisation. Change vinyls, vehicle parts, vehicle shapes and more. Upload them to the community site and share them with others. They automatically work on all vehicle types, and include your PSN ID.
    • Vehicle perks. Modify your handling, boosting and offensive abilities as you unlock new perks.
    • A wealth of rankings to progess through online with associated rewards and recognition.
    • Stacks of online rewards to earn and persistent progress giving the most determined and successful racers the status and recognition they deserve.
    • Persistent matchmaking. Keep your party together throughout your gaming session.
    • A Game Mode Creator. From a completely blank canvas you can design your own game rules and victory conditions, play them online, and incorporate them into tournaments.

Lots More

We’ve got a lot more to reveal too; things like replacing loading screens with cut-scenes that finally reveal what it’s like to be a part of the MotorStorm subculture, to changes to handling and boosting, to the five completely new vehicle classes making their way to this festival.

The end of the world…is just the beginning.

Let me know your thoughts.

Tagged // evolution studiosmotorstorm apocalypseps3

So it would appear that the city setting was correct for the next game!! I personally cant wait! :D 

What do MS fans think? excited! disappointed?! Glad it aint 'Post apocalyptic'? 

Edit :- Heres some more info taken this evening from the webz :- 

"   More info on the Game - It sounds like this one actually has characters and - a - story?!?!?!?! 

Taken from an online interview : 

"It's at this point that you're introduced to three different racers, each of whom will experience a different 48 hours in the city. The rookie is new to the MotorStorm scene, having stowed away on the ship, and will provide newcomers a gentle introduction to the game. Next up is the survivor, who forms the middle difficulty level and will be an appropriate start for those who are used to the series. Finally, there's the veteran, called Big Dog, who will offer the biggest challenge of any MotorStorm yet, according to Evolution Studios. All three characters will have their own prologue and epilogue, where they arrive on the island and attempt to escape it, while each storyline will overlap with the others as you progress.

When the MotorStorm crew arrives in the city, though, they find that they're not the only ones inhabiting the wreckage. Private military contractors and "the crazies"--city dwellers who refuse to leave--are bitterly fighting it out. You're caught in the middle of it all, with the military using high-tech weaponry to attack you from both the ground and the air, while the crazies are rather more low-tech, using wrecking balls and Molotov cocktails to try to displace you. They will also fight each other, and your vehicle will be peppered with gunfire if you're caught in the middle.

Finally, there's the game's ultimate enemy: the earthquake itself, which will tear down buildings, buckle bridges, and open up new areas as you're racing. While we didn't see all of the following during our play session, Evolution Studios says that you'll race on rooftops, through subways and sewers, and even down skyscrapers as they collapse around you. The world will also be persistent, so any damage that's inflicted in one race will remain in place for subsequent events. This means that the city slowly gets wiped out throughout the two-day event, until you're eventually forced to evacuate as it falls around you.

As you'd expect, the game engine is based on the same base technology as Pacific Rift, but with some notable improvements to handle the destructible environment. Night racing and dynamic headlight effects are also included for the first time in the series. There will be much more vehicle customisation than before too, with vinyls, stickers, and paint jobs that can be bought from funds that you earn as you play. You can also buy performance upgrades for boost, handling, and combat, as well as body parts, shells, and completely new vehicles.

On the online side, "multiplayer is as complete as we could make it," claims Matt Southern. There will still be 16-player online races, but this time four split-screen players will be able to join an online race together. There will also be a multiplayer game mode creator, which will allow you to tweak every aspect of game rules and conditions. A new wager system will also allow you to bet on the results of races to win even more money. These bets will be accumulator-style wagers, so you can win more money the more predictions in a row that you get right.

The demo we played was of the same pre-alpha code which will be available at E3, although the LA showing may end up having slightly more in it, according to Paul Rustchynsky. We were able to play with one vehicle--a grippy sports car, with which we navigated a relatively short downtown course. Within the first minute, an oil tanker had careered out onto the track, buildings had toppled and crashed into each other ahead of us, and a truck had exploded over our head as crazies fled from the scene. You can focus on the dramatics by pressing the triangle button, while the ability to run over pedestrians made us think of the classic PC racer Carmageddon. The boost button works in exactly the same way as in previous MotorStorm games, but on this particular track there wasn't much water to cool you down. Our favourite touch was the helicopter that held the starting gate at the beginning of the race and then flew over the action to perform the same task at the finish line." 
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate

Announced* God dammit i lasted this long without a title typo - colour me fail! 

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @The_Laughing_Man: GAH! fuck it, colour me double fail !! haha, alright mods, lock this party up xD
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I liked yours more. He just linked to another site. You give a nice chunk of info. 

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @The_Laughing_Man: Well i just kinda linked the pics and info from the announcement page - and Rhaknar managed to do it without a typo! haha :D 
    Either way though it appears there isn't a lot of interest in this as nether page is getting hype!!! 

I mean - reading the list of additions and content in the info ? Sounds fricking awesome! Racing and basically BEING the apocalypse of the city? couch party online play? tournaments and custom game mode online play?! 

This sounds like all the best parts of Halo's Online play merged with awesome Motorstorm graphics, gameplay and style - which to be honest if thats what it boils down to, is just absolutely awesome all round!!! 
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " I liked yours more. He just linked to another site. You give a nice chunk of info.  "
    the staff usually does a "proper" article about it later on, so i dont bother getting all fancy. Then again, I never said i was doing anything other than linking the news to people that might not check those sites as much
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " I liked yours more. He just linked to another site. You give a nice chunk of info.  "
    the staff usually does a "proper" article about it later on, so i dont bother getting all fancy. Then again, I never said i was doing anything other than linking the news to people that might not check those sites as much "
    His has pictures. Thats why I liked it more. Lol That is about it. 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
    @The_Laughing_Man: Pictures make a big difference!

On topic, what the hell is Sony's game?  Showing off a shit ton of stuff just a week or two before hand.  I think, they are gonna ditch the industry and let MS and Nintendo take over, and this is Sony's goodbye. 
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @KaosAngel: Well speculation leaves on of 3 options :- 

A) They have some really Neat stuff to show off and its gonna be even more awesome than LBP2 - Killzone 3, MS3 and all these other 'leaks' 
    B) E3 is basically the 'Move' show 
    C) Sony dont know what the hell they are doing  

I hoping for 'A' to be honest
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Aetos
    @OmegaPirate: Don't forget they also let inFamous 2 be shown in game informer.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By get2sammyb

Oh good grief -- I'm bored of every Sony announcement thread being "what will they show at E3"? Can't we just talk about the games? Think of Sony's E3 press conference as a month-long press conference if you must -- you're still getting the goods.

In addition - this game sounds amazing. Sounds like they're making the online a ton better (which is great), the setting sounds really interesting and I'm intrigued by the "Play Create Share" stuff.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By aurahack

YES. 

This is the exact direction they needed to take Motorstorm in. Argh. E3 is going to be so awesome.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Hmm... I dunno. It might be pretty cool, and not just pretty. It might not.

I still want a new PWC game with badass water physics.

krackofdawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By krackofdawn
    @OmegaPirate:

Sony will follow their previous showings and show: 

1) Stats and figures (infographics ftw) 
    2) Longer trailers of things we've seen leaked 
    3) Montages of upcoming games with large numbers attached 
     --- IE. "60 games coming to the PS3 in 2010!!!".. with a mixed bag of PSN titles, multi-platforms and a few exclusives. 

It'll be a good show but they haven't been known for pulling any big rabbits out of their hats at E3.
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By CoolDrMoney

No Caption Provided
    On foot racers! Evolution finally takes the Sonic R cue.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By get2sammyb
    @krackofdawn: Like every other E3 conference from every company in history you mean? Goodness, no trailers have leaked so, they're fine on that front aren't they? Good grief. [/stealth edit]

@CoolDrMoney: Haha - I hope the guys have boost powered roller-skates. :)
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @get2sammyb: Agreed on the E3 part, im just gonna be the optimist and say that this is all awesome whether its at E3 or not, and that they must be confident in what they have in store! 

As far as the game goes - Yeah im so fucking hyped for this!!! i mean it just seems that every motorstorm game gets more and more ambitious and intricate with every entry!  
    I honestly could not have thought of most of what's been announced for this title already yet alone what they have to announce between now and release! well actually i could've thought of it but actually believing it could be implemented is another matter. 

I honestly believe if this delivers half of what it promises it may make Split/Second Obsolete, Racing big rigs over collapsing sky scraper rooftops? yes please!! 

And the fact they openly admit they have taken the online layout, content and infrastructure from the best online titles available is music to my ears, if every game would just be honest and admit to what works - while adding their own little spin, we wouldnt end up with hap hazard cobbled together broken lobby systems !! 

Bring on the MOTORSTORM! :D
    krackofdawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By krackofdawn
    @get2sammyb: 

Agh, stealth edits. I was just being tongue-in-cheek about their conference, every company does that junk and as a consumer and a fan its agonizing. Show us the goods, sony! I hope they have awesome stuff that brings the house down.
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mosespippy

This game looks like a good way for me to spend another 100+ hours. I'm really excited for all the improvements and new announcements.  

Who do you guys think the 2 groups are that stayed behind are? To me it sounds like the cops are one of them. It does say you'll see the game from 3 different perspectives. Probably 1 motorstormer, 1 cop and 1 other.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#21  Edited By Valkyr
    @KaosAngel: Perhaps they are revealing all those ps3 game sequels and then on the show they will come up showing of the psp2 and some awesome new exclusive IP, we have seen so much this week that we are not expecting much more but it could be a surprise.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OmegaPirate

More info on the Game - It sounds like this one actually has characters and - a - story?!?!?!?! 

Taken from an online interview : 

"It's at this point that you're introduced to three different racers, each of whom will experience a different 48 hours in the city. The rookie is new to the MotorStorm scene, having stowed away on the ship, and will provide newcomers a gentle introduction to the game. Next up is the survivor, who forms the middle difficulty level and will be an appropriate start for those who are used to the series. Finally, there's the veteran, called Big Dog, who will offer the biggest challenge of any MotorStorm yet, according to Evolution Studios. All three characters will have their own prologue and epilogue, where they arrive on the island and attempt to escape it, while each storyline will overlap with the others as you progress.

When the MotorStorm crew arrives in the city, though, they find that they're not the only ones inhabiting the wreckage. Private military contractors and "the crazies"--city dwellers who refuse to leave--are bitterly fighting it out. You're caught in the middle of it all, with the military using high-tech weaponry to attack you from both the ground and the air, while the crazies are rather more low-tech, using wrecking balls and Molotov cocktails to try to displace you. They will also fight each other, and your vehicle will be peppered with gunfire if you're caught in the middle.

Finally, there's the game's ultimate enemy: the earthquake itself, which will tear down buildings, buckle bridges, and open up new areas as you're racing. While we didn't see all of the following during our play session, Evolution Studios says that you'll race on rooftops, through subways and sewers, and even down skyscrapers as they collapse around you. The world will also be persistent, so any damage that's inflicted in one race will remain in place for subsequent events. This means that the city slowly gets wiped out throughout the two-day event, until you're eventually forced to evacuate as it falls around you.

As you'd expect, the game engine is based on the same base technology as Pacific Rift, but with some notable improvements to handle the destructible environment. Night racing and dynamic headlight effects are also included for the first time in the series. There will be much more vehicle customisation than before too, with vinyls, stickers, and paint jobs that can be bought from funds that you earn as you play. You can also buy performance upgrades for boost, handling, and combat, as well as body parts, shells, and completely new vehicles.

On the online side, "multiplayer is as complete as we could make it," claims Matt Southern. There will still be 16-player online races, but this time four split-screen players will be able to join an online race together. There will also be a multiplayer game mode creator, which will allow you to tweak every aspect of game rules and conditions. A new wager system will also allow you to bet on the results of races to win even more money. These bets will be accumulator-style wagers, so you can win more money the more predictions in a row that you get right.

The demo we played was of the same pre-alpha code which will be available at E3, although the LA showing may end up having slightly more in it, according to Paul Rustchynsky. We were able to play with one vehicle--a grippy sports car, with which we navigated a relatively short downtown course. Within the first minute, an oil tanker had careered out onto the track, buildings had toppled and crashed into each other ahead of us, and a truck had exploded over our head as crazies fled from the scene. You can focus on the dramatics by pressing the triangle button, while the ability to run over pedestrians made us think of the classic PC racer Carmageddon. The boost button works in exactly the same way as in previous MotorStorm games, but on this particular track there wasn't much water to cool you down. Our favourite touch was the helicopter that held the starting gate at the beginning of the race and then flew over the action to perform the same task at the finish line." 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.