Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift lets players race in vehicles of all shapes and sizes across the harsh, untamed terrain of a tropical island in the Pacific Ocean.

A trip to Moosejaw Falls ?

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n

I love drawing comparisons between new and old games. Or maybe I just do it unwillingly without actually "loving" it since I´m such a huge nostalgia guy. But I´ve spent alot of time with MotorStorm: Pacific Rift over the last couple of days and I cannot help getting nostalgic and thinking back to that summer in 1997 when I went over with my bike to a friends house nearby and played Ignition for hours every day. Ignition is one of the best offroad racers ever made and it shares alot of similarities with the recent MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, a game that I´m really digging so far. But every time I put it in to play some more I cannot help but thinking back on Ignition.
    This classic PC racer was developed by a couple of Swedish guys in an apartment in the late 90s and with it they totally stole my offroad racer heart. Am I loving Pacific Rift because of Ignition? Is that the case deep down in my heart? I´m not sure but either way I felt I needed to share some Igniton footage with you all. Compare it to Pacific Rift and you´ll see that its pretty much the same game with 2008 style graphics and camera and more vehicles. The cornerstones of the concept is very much intact tho. Multiple paths through a vivid offroad environment, different carclasses with different strenghts, the arcade style racing, the boosting and alot of crashing.
    I think I say this mostly because I´m pretty much loving Pacific Rift now, as I liked Ignition back then. Its a fantastic offroad racer experience.

IGNITION (PC - 1997)
    The dude playing only takes one road and the quality of the footage is LOW but theres several paths to take during the rainy part of the stage. Also, not alot of crashes during the race. Also, the stage shown might not be the one with most likeness to Motorstorm but theres not alof of footage out there from this game.

MOTORSTORM - PACIFIC RIFT (PS3 - 2008)
    The camera is different and choice of vehicle is different from the Ignition clip but try to see past that.

Let me just end by saying this. Even if you didnt play Ignition back in the day, you should still make sure you check out Pacific Rift. The game is seriously awesome ! Also, the game feautures the song Sulfur by Slipknot. Racing to this dual drumpedal work by Joey Jordison always makes me try harder. Total awesome sauce!
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimbo_n

I love drawing comparisons between new and old games. Or maybe I just do it unwillingly without actually "loving" it since I´m such a huge nostalgia guy. But I´ve spent alot of time with MotorStorm: Pacific Rift over the last couple of days and I cannot help getting nostalgic and thinking back to that summer in 1997 when I went over with my bike to a friends house nearby and played Ignition for hours every day. Ignition is one of the best offroad racers ever made and it shares alot of similarities with the recent MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, a game that I´m really digging so far. But every time I put it in to play some more I cannot help but thinking back on Ignition.
    This classic PC racer was developed by a couple of Swedish guys in an apartment in the late 90s and with it they totally stole my offroad racer heart. Am I loving Pacific Rift because of Ignition? Is that the case deep down in my heart? I´m not sure but either way I felt I needed to share some Igniton footage with you all. Compare it to Pacific Rift and you´ll see that its pretty much the same game with 2008 style graphics and camera and more vehicles. The cornerstones of the concept is very much intact tho. Multiple paths through a vivid offroad environment, different carclasses with different strenghts, the arcade style racing, the boosting and alot of crashing.
    I think I say this mostly because I´m pretty much loving Pacific Rift now, as I liked Ignition back then. Its a fantastic offroad racer experience.

IGNITION (PC - 1997)
    The dude playing only takes one road and the quality of the footage is LOW but theres several paths to take during the rainy part of the stage. Also, not alot of crashes during the race. Also, the stage shown might not be the one with most likeness to Motorstorm but theres not alof of footage out there from this game.

MOTORSTORM - PACIFIC RIFT (PS3 - 2008)
    The camera is different and choice of vehicle is different from the Ignition clip but try to see past that.

Let me just end by saying this. Even if you didnt play Ignition back in the day, you should still make sure you check out Pacific Rift. The game is seriously awesome ! Also, the game feautures the song Sulfur by Slipknot. Racing to this dual drumpedal work by Joey Jordison always makes me try harder. Total awesome sauce!
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr
    SuperMooseman said:
    "Moosejaw Falls, I know it well."
    The place where i found you as a neglected moose cub, and raised you as one of us...
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Pacific Rift has some of the most amazing graphics I've ever seen, and even though I'm horrible at it, I still boot it up all the time just to see it in all its shiny glory.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jimbo_n

Yea pacific rift might actually be the best looking racer out there.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Daryl

Ignition is still better :P

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jimbo_n
    @Daryl said:
    "Ignition is still better :P"

You are correct.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.