Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift lets players race in vehicles of all shapes and sizes across the harsh, untamed terrain of a tropical island in the Pacific Ocean.

Demo, sluggish?

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeadWeezel
    Despite the rather incredible vistas of the demo just put onto PSN I feel like everything is happening too slowly.  As an arcade racer this makes some sense of course but I am talking about the feeling of sluggishness that comes with locking a frame-rate.  Cars, even in arcade, should not gently float to the ground in this way.
    It is of course a demo, and there is yet much optimisation that may be done to the engine.  I do sort of get the impression however that this is a game that looks better than the engine/hardware can actually cope with.  Which is either unfortunate software method or, and lets hope not, a push for visuals to live up to promises the hardware can not deliver.

Not a fan of racing myself, although despite the rather bad AI I did enjoy the first game.  I'd like to see P.R. do well.  Any thoughts on the demo?
    kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kilzombie

I think that "sluggish" feeling is part of Motorstorm's gameplay(not sure though, since I only played the demo of the first). Personally, I don't like it, probably because I'm used to tighter controls.
    Though again, I'm not sure if that's true or not.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeadWeezel

I could slot in the game and find out, that is a good point.  I just feel something here is "wrong" though, which I never felt in the first.  It's not even an issue with the speed of the vehicles in terms of the racing (though it is a tad slow after Wipeout ;), so much as everything feels like it is drifting through viscous liquid.

A person I know, a fan of the first game said since that he also is feeling this sort of weird suck on the movement.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

I didn't even know there was a demo up on PSN ...guess I'll have to check it out later.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeadWeezel

Do post your feelings of it thereafter.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

I never liked the first much at all..so I'm assuming this will be the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I tried the demo of the first one when it came out didnt really amaze me, but for some reason the pacific rift demo has really caught my attention, I might not really know the gameplay of the first so I can't really compare. But from what I experienced I like it a lot, the main enjoyment was just the scope of the tracks and how grand they felt, but I guess its all relative, I for one might actually pick this game up =).

Agreed this game definitely doesn't seem like its pushing the hardware though.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeadWeezel

I was just playing the demo again..

Actually what I meant was it felt like perhaps it WAS pushing the hardware - even if that was simply because the engine was not designed correctly.  Making no accusations here, I imagine Evolution have a good idea of how this hardware works given the look of their launch title.  I just find it hard to believe that the slow and floaty nature of the game is entirely by design since that would be against what you expect from a racing game.

Second time around though I lost any feeling that the game was more than the PS3 could cope with, in comparison to some other titles the textures looked a little flat up close (but when moving this is obviously o no concern).  The draw distance is certainly phenomenal.  As was the case in Motor Storm.

I dunno exactly what I am saying here to be honest, I have interest in the game and do not dislike what we have in the demo, I just feel wrong about something and can't put my finger on it.
    Gran Turismo 5 Prolouge is clinical and exact, and it feels correct.  Wipeout HD is sharp, bright & fast and feels correct for what it is supposed to be.  Similar with Burnout Paradise.  Something in Pacific rift just does not feel correct.  To me, that is.
    Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

I played it with my little bro, and then alone.
    Its the same thing as the first one but the scenario changes... nothing WOW in my opinion.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By PufferFiz

is this different then the qore demo?
    if not then it was already established that this was a old old build

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeadWeezel

Hard to know, we don't get Qore in Europe yet and the people I know are against it anyway.  I'd have to imagine though, that it is the same.

What was the general feeing for it at the time?
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Kilzombie said:
    "I think that "sluggish" feeling is part of Motorstorm's gameplay(not sure though, since I only played the demo of the first). Personally, I don't like it, probably because I'm used to tighter controls.
    Though again, I'm not sure if that's true or not."
    I just attributed the original's "sluggishness" to its inconsistent framerate.  It never dropped below playability, but it was never at a high level for more than a few seconds at a time.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By Davvyk

i felt sluggishness but it was more along the lines of the cars had a prefrence to stay going in straight lines. i.e they dont like turning.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeadWeezel

I felt that too on the ground, but when in a long free fall from a jump it also applied going towards the ground.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Never liked any Motorstorm  games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.