Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift lets players race in vehicles of all shapes and sizes across the harsh, untamed terrain of a tropical island in the Pacific Ocean.

Oh Wow - This Is Actually So Under-rated...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Oh Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. I wasn't aboard the PS3 ship when your younger brother was relevant. You were pushed aside during the Christmas rush - I wanted Mirror's Edge and Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet and Dead Space; alas you were so close to getting bought - but never quite did. Until today.

Yes, for £19 of my English pounds I finally bought you Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. Got to ask myself why I bought Prince Of Persia instead of you last year.

Now I know this game reviewed well. It's a critical success. Blah blah. So it's not "under-rated" in that sense. But why the hell doesn't this game (or franchise, perhaps the original is good, not quite sure) get talked about at all. Here are some reasons it should be talked about:

• Graphics rival Killzone 2 in my opinion. Honestly, kid you not. I think this game looks amazing. I'd argue it's one of the best looking Playstation 3 games I've seen so far. Did I mention it looks amazing?
    • Depth. I love the mechanics. For those not quite sure, you get boost, that heats up, hitting water cools the engine, however diriving to close to volcanic rock causes the engine to heat up. Etc. It's actually really quite complex, and makes it more than just racing. Little bit of puzzle in there, would you people who've played agree?
    • Cars are well balanced. So I love the way every car has its strengths and advantages. Some cars work well in mud. Some aren't very powerful. Blah blah. Take the ol' Mario Kart light/medium/heavy formula and throw in about a hundred other different factors. Really cool.
    • Multiple routes matter. Each track has multiple routes; the learning of which are actually important in Pacific Rift because different sections will have different effects on your car. For example - driving a car that performs well in mud, would benefit taking the "mud" route of the track. It's not all cut and dry, but there's a sense of exploration, aswell as puzzle and racing. Really well implemented.
    • The online looks quite deep but I'm not far enough into that side of the game to talk about that really.
    • Good music. Brilliantly mellodramatic intro sequence. Tons to do. The text has a real tongue-in-cheek charm to it.

Motorstorm does lack the speed of Burnout Paradise and can feel a bit clunky when you compare the two, but I never really realised what a good racer this is until today.

It's actually knocked me for six. I wanted to give it a go. I thought it would be alright. But I never expected it to be as good as it is.

Really recommend this if it's been flying under your radar for a while. It should be in every PS3 owners collection. Only real excuse for avoiding is if you hate racing games.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

Me and you both, brother.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

I also have this game.  It kicks ass.  If you like racing games and have a PS3, pick this up.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

This game came out? Damn, I don't even remember anyone talking about it. :(

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate

This game is phenomenal - got it on launch day and didnt look back -im surprised the Giantbomb review didnt encourage a few more people ot pick it up in all honesty

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

This looks like a game I would pick up, if I eventually have enough spare cash for a PS3...

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It's a lot like pure

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I think the disappointment of the first game turned a lot of people off of this one.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60

I agree

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "It's a lot like pure"
    While I haven't played Pure in its entirety, I have played the demo, and they share little in common if you ask me. Perhaps slightly in theme, but certainly not in the way they play. But, I have only played the Pure demo so... y'know.... Maybe they do end up eventually being similar, but, I dunno. I don't think they are.

I'm glad there are others on here who share the Motorstorm appreciation. We should start up a club or something. I can't believe I didn't buy this game when it came out. I'm sure there must be other PS3 owners out there who are sitting there thinking - "hmmm I like racing games. Motorstorm looks ok... I guess. Perhaps I'll get it one day" - and you never will because no one ever mentions how great it is.

Well to those people: YOU SHOULD BUY IT. Amazing.

The races that take place at the top of teh mountains are the best. Drifting through a clowd and then jumping over a fucking volcano. Oh my God. It's within touching distance of Burnout P I tell thee.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It didn't do bad critically, so I wouldn't say it's under-rated. Maybe you mean over-looked. :o)

ImAaronJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImAaronJ

I used to work at a GameStop and I would recommend Motorstorm: PR to several customers who wanted a new Ps3 racing game. Most of them opted to get Need for Speed: Undercover. Go figure.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VWGTI
    @get2sammyb: 

Glad I stopped by these forums. I was thinking about picking this up along with Wolfenstein on my way home from work, but wanted to see what the community thought of the game. Nice write-up! I am no longer on the fence about this game.
    j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By j0rdan

My favorite game at the moment.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Manachild

Also its worth mentioning that that demo that sony added to the play station store before the game came out is not representitive of the full versions graphics, there are comparison shots out there. Just thought i'd put that out there.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Motorstorm: Arctic Edge is effin' rad, that's all I know.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Andorski

Is the game as balls-hard as the first?  I really liked Motorstorm 1, but hated how a single crash meant that you weren't getting 1st.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By septim

I love both Motorstorms. I agree that racing games by their very nature don't get a lot of pre or post release hype.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.