Anybody else think M&B needs a serious overhaul?

#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm sure they have the money at this point to make a proper Mount & Blade 2 that doesn't have late 90s map, quest, and menu design. But still be an awesome game like Warband.

#2 Posted by onarum (2289 posts) -

I'm sure they're working on M&B 2 for some time now, WFaS was just a quick localization work of a old russian made game on the M&B engine, the actual taleworlds team had little to do with it, I guess to get some extra cash and keep the development on M&B 2 going.

#3 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

This game was made by about 12 guys located somewhere south of Istanbul. In real terms, nobody bought it.

Please, be reasonable.

#4 Edited by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

We've all thought that since the first Mount and Blade im pretty sure.
I just want a better UI in fire and sword, the pop up messages just spam the hell out of the screen when you kill people, its idiotic, Ive seen mods that have handled it so much better.

#5 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

I wish there was a AAA version of this game and its mechanics somewhere. It's so refreshing to just jump in. The netcode and hit detection is what bugs me most. 

#6 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

From watching the quicklook I can see what the appeal is. Game is not for me per se. What would be interesting is if they took the M&B and mixed that with something like Sacred 2. 

#7 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Here's a couple fun facts about Fire and sword:

1. This was not developed by Taleworlds, it was handed off to a seperate company
2. This game was actually released before warband, but only in Eastern Europe. They remade it in the Warband engine and sold it off as a new game.

#8 Posted by StealthRaptor (531 posts) -
@Bribo said:
" This game was made by about 12 guys located somewhere south of Istanbul. In real terms, nobody bought it. Please, be reasonable. "
With Fire & Sword is one of the top downloads on Steam at the moment and it has been one of the featured games for some time. Also a smaller team means you don't spend very much money on your employees. So clearly they've got some cash now.
#9 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -

I can think of 9 issues op the top of my head that NEED to be addressed for the next game:

1. Sieging

2. The Inventory System

3. Assigning abilities to team member that are Leader Only

4. The World Map

5. The rubber-band overview AI.

6. The way reinforcements just suddenly appear out of nowhere on the battelfield.

7. Herding cattle.

8. The dialoge system.

9. Character creation.

God damn, Mount and Blade. Why do we love you so much?...

#10 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Here's a couple fun facts about Fire and sword:
1. This was not developed by Taleworlds, it was handed off to a seperate company
2. This game was actually released before warband, but only in Eastern Europe. They remade it in the Warband engine and sold it off as a new game.

"
And that excuses what exactly?
#11 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" Here's a couple fun facts about Fire and sword:

"
And that excuses what exactly? "
That this game is worse than Warband?
#12 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero:  Oh, I wasn't sure where exactly you were going with that. I thought you were one of those apologists who uses those two facts to justify how bad FaS is.
#13 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@President_Barackbar: No, I still think it's bad...it's just that there's a legit reason as to why it's bad.
#14 Posted by TheHT (11770 posts) -

Yeah. Warband felt worth getting given the jump from Mount and Blade. This, not so much. Waiting for that next substantial jump, when it comes, I'm gonna be all over it.

#15 Posted by Joru (311 posts) -

Yes. I only bought Warband and don't intend to buy any of the others - they're just too similar. The singleplayer is actually very fun, but if it was more streamlined and many little annoyanced were fixed, it could be really great, up with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as one of the best games from the east.

#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

I love the series, but yes, it can only get better.

#17 Posted by Daavpuke (115 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" We've all thought that since the first Mount and Blade im pretty sure. I just want a better UI in fire and sword, the pop up messages just spam the hell out of the screen when you kill people, its idiotic, Ive seen mods that have handled it so much better. "
Cool, so I'm not the only one that thinks that. Is there any way to go view these somewhere btw? They always go too fast for me and immediately disappear..

Visually, I don't mind it though. It's not a game that's made by graphics and I think it makes a believable medieval setting even with the ridiculous character models. I just gave one of my women companions chainmail and a hat and now she looks more of a man than me, it's hilarious.

As far as tweaks go though, yes, I definitely see some issues, but I'm currently only a big dozen hours in, so I don't want to call it now; I feel this game is much larger in scale, so I'm enjoying dabbling in it a bit more. In fact, I'm going to do that right now.
#18 Edited by Chris_Ihao (102 posts) -

Yeah, I really really feel the deep impact of paying 15 euros, no wait 13.49 euros, on a game of this magnitude. I think I will have to eat hamburgers I find in garbage bins the next year or so.

Imho, I love M&B: fs, not because its something unique but because it allow the developers to continue doing what they do. I can contribute with approximately less than an hour of my wages for that. And no, I dont have a highly paid job.

#19 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

That's kind of stating the obvious, isn't it?

#20 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Chris_Ihao said:
" Yeah, I really really feel the deep impact of paying 15 euros, no wait 13.49 euros, on a game of this magnitude. I think I will have to eat hamburgers I find in garbage bins the next year or so. Imho, I love M&B: fs, not because its something unique but because it allow the developers to continue doing what they do. I can contribute with approximately less than an hour of my wages for that. And no, I dont have a highly paid job. "
Uhh, nobody mentioned anything about not being able to afford it, what are you on about?
#21 Posted by commandercup (497 posts) -

I think it's pretty obvious if the game didn't look like a pile of crap (some of the environments look pretty good) in the graphical and user interface areas, then the game would have even more appeal. That said, I doubt that the type of people that like M&B really need flashiness or a smoother interface. I do think that some of the bugs already being addressed by members of the community (cattle follow commands + speed buffs etc.) should be absorbed into the actual game through patches.). I also think that the developers should pay someone to write-up/create an actual tutorial that covers what players should be doing in the game. 

The worst thing about M&B for me is that the world just looks so horrible. There are literally ~100 towns that look exactly alike aside from simple name changes. I get drawn into the game, but drawn out of the world which is somewhat ironic for a self-proclaimed simulation.
#22 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

Frankly, I'm waiting for a M&B style game for A Song of Ice and Fire. Forget RTS, let me ride an army of the North against the foul Lannisters!

M&B would really benefit from an overhaul, but I don't think an overhaul is necessary by any means.

#23 Posted by Jimbo (9984 posts) -

I haven't played the new one yet, but yeah, it's about time they started from scratch.

#24 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

This is an informative thread. I was thinking about buying mount and blade but wasn't sure what expansions to get. I think I'll start with the regular game and if I like it enough,, buy warband..

#25 Posted by Chris_Ihao (102 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Chris_Ihao said:
" Yeah, I really really feel the deep impact of paying 15 euros, no wait 13.49 euros, on a game of this magnitude. I think I will have to eat hamburgers I find in garbage bins the next year or so. Imho, I love M&B: fs, not because its something unique but because it allow the developers to continue doing what they do. I can contribute with approximately less than an hour of my wages for that. And no, I dont have a highly paid job. "
Uhh, nobody mentioned anything about not being able to afford it, what are you on about? "
Well, I've seen a lot of negativity regarding this game lately, and its pretty much a coincidence I vented here. No offence intended.

My point is, the game is FAR too cheap to even be considered a contender to modern games' production values. If the game was priced at 50 euros (dollars) then this would have been a disaster, but I think its pretty ok for the price. In particular since the original formula works, and this gives a few new toys to play with, and some new aspects. Guns and grenades.

People pay similar sums for dlc's all the time these days, and some of these dlc's are just ridiculous (a car or two, and perhaps a dress). If you appreciate the gameplay of mount and blade in general, I would say you can do a lot worse than getting this standalone pack. Also, I think the game has looked quite ok from the beginning, especially considering the budget, and is by no means ugly on maxed out settings. Anyhow, people are different.

Clinkz: Dont get the first one as that is basically redundant after getting warband. Also, you miss out on multiplayer which can be a thrilling experience (although, prepare to die a lot).
#26 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Chris_Ihao: But all of this games features, literally ALL of them, are done better in Warband with mods.
#27 Posted by Chris_Ihao (102 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Chris_Ihao: But all of this games features, literally ALL of them, are done better in Warband with mods. "
I'll confess I've been out of the m&b loop for quite a while (I'm a "jump around between dozens of games" gamer) and have only played multi on certain servers. I have occasionally looked at all the mods available but at the time saw that very few were "finished". I'll take your word for it though, and in that case my bad for not paying enough attention to whats out there already (I rarely mod anymore as its time consuming to keep up with many of the games I play). Anyhow, the point about paying taleworlds a bit more for their future endeavors still stand.
#28 Posted by eroticfishcake (7789 posts) -

The main problem I have is that the interface could do with some improvements. The graphics are mediocre but that's not the reason why I play the game in the first place since the gameplay is pretty solid if a little repetitive and inaccessible on some occasions. Other then that, it's a fun, unique game at a good price with a decent mod community too.

#29 Posted by Khann (2913 posts) -
@Chris_Ihao said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Chris_Ihao said:
Uhh, nobody mentioned anything about not being able to afford it, what are you on about? "
Well, I've seen a lot of negativity regarding this game lately, and its pretty much a coincidence I vented here. No offence intended.

My point is, the game is FAR too cheap to even be considered a contender to modern games' production values. If the game was priced at 50 euros (dollars) then this would have been a disaster, but I think its pretty ok for the price. In particular since the original formula works, and this gives a few new toys to play with, and some new aspects. Guns and grenades.

People pay similar sums for dlc's all the time these days, and some of these dlc's are just ridiculous (a car or two, and perhaps a dress). If you appreciate the gameplay of mount and blade in general, I would say you can do a lot worse than getting this standalone pack. Also, I think the game has looked quite ok from the beginning, especially considering the budget, and is by no means ugly on maxed out settings. Anyhow, people are different.

Clinkz: Dont get the first one as that is basically redundant after getting warband. Also, you miss out on multiplayer which can be a thrilling experience (although, prepare to die a lot).
"
There are many 15eur games with fantastic production values. Nobody pays 15eur for micro-transaction like DLC. Stop with the hyperbole.

The polygonal graphics aren't awful, but the menus 100% are. It wouldn't cost that much to completely overhaul them, relatively speaking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.