Anyone going to play this?

• 51 results
#1 Edited by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -

Anyone out of the small Mount & Blade fanbase on this sight excited for this? It came out of nowhere, and even as someone who plays a ton of Warband, I didn't know about it until a few days ago. Its the only game set in the 17th century that I can think of, and it should be alot of fun playing Cavaliers versus Roundheads. Its on Steam, here

#2 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

Not sure if am all Warbanded out or not. I'm 50/50  on purchase, fighting during the cross over form swords to guns seems interesting.

#3 Posted by Farmer (328 posts) -

I had no idea it was coming out so soon. Count me in.

#4 Posted by kwyee (234 posts) -

New features seem very compelling, especially the banking system and army tweaks

I'm in.
#5 Posted by Bollard (5432 posts) -

I've never even checked out the M&B series before. What's it like? Also any reason they're so cheap? £14 for 3 games seams quite a steal.

#6 Posted by kwyee (234 posts) -

The gameplay is unique and takes a bit of getting used to, but it's super satisfying once you get the hang of it.

Generally, there's the strategic map and the tactical combat.
You romp around the strategic map attacking other parties, recruiting soldiers, razing towns, buying/selling goods, visiting castles, developing your army, purchasing armor/weapons, etc.  General RPG-type stuff.
When you run into hostile units, you get into the tactical combat, which is played from a 3rd person perspective with the AI controlling the NPCs in your army.  The tricky / fun part is that swords and spears have fairly precise swing arcs so you have to be precise to hit your target in the head.  How fast and hard you swing are affected by your stats and proficiency. There's also momentum involved, so if you're running towards the target, you'll do more damage and less if you are moving away. Archery works by holding down the mouse to draw the bow but hold too long and you will loose accuracy (in real life, it's hard to keep tension for too long).  The arrow also falls pretty fast, so you generally have to aim above the target.
I'm just skimming over the gameplay but you can see more at the GB Mount & Blade page.

As for why it's so cheap, I guess it's b/c it's an indie game?  The original was developed by a husband/wife pair in Turkey.  The game used to be $30 but it's been out for a while.  Also the graphics are pretty low rent, so it can be hard to draw new people.

Anyway, there's a demo for Warband and the games are all pretty cheap so there's low risk :) 
#7 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

I bought it for the hats.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I love M&B, so probably yeah.

#9 Posted by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:
" I've never even checked out the M&B series before. What's it like? Also any reason they're so cheap? £14 for 3 games seams quite a steal. "
It is a steal, Ive put 200+ hours in to the 2 mount and Blade games that have come out so far.  You should try it.
#10 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@Mikemcn: I went into this half-blind and on your recommendation.

Hope this game is as interesting as you make it out to be.
#11 Posted by Cameron (597 posts) -

Looks cool, but I think I'll wait to see how the gameplay is before I buy it. Some of the new systems sound pretty cool, but without more detail I'm not sold.

#12 Edited by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -
@extremeradical said:

" @Mikemcn: I went into this half-blind and on your recommendation.
Hope this game is as interesting as you make it out to be.
"

Well you did just buy a game on the advice of someone who enjoys virtual Horse Archery....
But I know I really do enjoy it, the multiplayer is where I spend most of my time, which I recommend, just have patience, starting out,  theres alot of players who can kill you 20 times in a row before you kill them, it just takes practice and soon you'll be as good as anyone.  
#13 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -
@Mikemcn: You seem to like the game quite a bit, so are there any mods you recommend for the singleplayer? Also any mods you recommend for the multiplayer? Because I have tried a few multiplayer servers but none let me in because I am missing files or I don't have the right mods or something.
#14 Edited by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -
@Resident4t said:

" @Mikemcn: You seem to like the game quite a bit, so are there any mods you recommend for the singleplayer? Also any mods you recommend for the multiplayer? Because I have tried a few multiplayer servers but none let me in because I am missing files or I don't have the right mods or something. "

I am personally not too big on mods for singleplayer, although there are plenty of good ones. You can find them all here. 
But there are two multiplayer mods I  play, Full Invasion and CRPG (Whose site appears to be down right now, google it a little later)

Full invasion is a wave based survival mode, its multiplayer only, and adds alot of  weapons from the singleplayer as well as weapons/armor that are unique to the mod. It also comes with all new factions to play as. My favorite part is that a few of the factions have Muskets and pistols, which are incredibly fun to use. It will be interesting to see how they're implemented in Fire and the Sword, hopefully they'll be similar to that mod. 

CRPG adds a ton of new weapons to the game and, through the mod's website, lets you progress your character much like you would in singleplayer (Its streamlined in some nice ways.) The servers for it have 100 player limits, so the scale is a bit larger than the normal 64 you'll play on. My only issue with this mod is that there are many players who have put a ton of time into it so they have the best weapons and armor, the first few hours you play can be really frustrating when all you have is a dagger and the other players all have samurai Swords. Ive only put a little time into it, but it has a loyal fanbase and is a much different experience from the regular multi player that I play the most. 

I've also heard good things about Vikingr, which would be worth checking out, its a viking focused multiplayer mod (Surprise) and seems pretty neat. I'd try it out myself but im too busy playing vanilla MP. 
#15 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -

No, but M&B Warband is 6 dollars. Is that much better than the 1st? I'm interested, but I want to get a good one which I neglected to do with STALKER at first (bought Clear Sky), so if I can avoid that it would be nice.

Which is better, warband or OG MB? 

#16 Posted by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -
@SirOptimusPrime said:
" No, but M&B Warband is 6 dollars. Is that much better than the 1st? I'm interested, but I want to get a good one which I neglected to do with STALKER at first (bought Clear Sky), so if I can avoid that it would be nice.

Which is better, warband or OG MB? 

"
Warband and original Mount and Blade both have their quirks, Warband is the more complete package, especially with multi player. Its single player has more weapons, a whole extra faction, and alot of tweaks that make it better than the previous game. But the difficulty increased substantially as well. (The AI can actually handle itself in Warband.) which is slightly unfortunate since alot of the fun of the original game was killing giant armies with a few high level heroes.  But to a newcomer that difference won't even be noticeable. I would suggest Warband. 

#17 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -
@Mikemcn: Thanks, will be buying it eventually...but the wall of not knowing which I should buy was terrifying. The animations should be entertaining at the least. 
#18 Posted by Bismarck (430 posts) -

Just purchesed the complete pack, wanted really bad to play them some time ago. But teh retailers here had some issue with the company making the games.  So it's wish come through.

#19 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Holy shit this came outta nowhere

#20 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Hell yeah I am!

#21 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I just finally bought MB Warband today.  I played like 8 hours of the demo and loved it quite a while back but only now got around to buying it.  Once I have my share of medieval fighting, I'll probably pick this up too.

Edit:  I really hope the AI is better in this game.  I had a 40 vs 56 battle of Tundra bandits, I personally slew at least 25 if not 30 of the bastards, and the other 39 people in my army couldn't take the remainder.  Even though they were mostly upgraded at least twice, if not three or four times.

#22 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I never bought warband because I figured I'd find a boxed copy at a wal mart or something like I did with the original game. But I never did. This complete pack seems as good a time as any now that I've finally figured out how to buy things on the internet.

#23 Posted by dandead (171 posts) -

As soon as this went up on steam I pre-ordered. Been a big fan of the series since the orignal. I just hope the A.I. troops are a little bit smarter I mean THEY HAVE GERNADES NOW! Think of the potental... XD

#24 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Pre-ordered. I'm looking forward to it.

#25 Posted by Bollard (5432 posts) -
@Mikemcn: I see, I will give it some more consideration then!
#26 Posted by SilenceUK (329 posts) -

really lookingforward to getting back into M&B never played the first but loved warband adding in guns and better city building seems awesome to me
#27 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

I've bought both the previous Mount & Blade games, and hardly played either. They seem awesome, but for some reason I just play them for half an hour and then put them down and never come back. I'll probably end up buying this when it's on sale, and do the same.

Moderator Online
#28 Posted by durog (219 posts) -
@MattyFTM:  It's on sale on steam $13.49, I'll end up buying it, loved the 1st and 2nd iteration.
#29 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Hell yeah baby, definitely getting this game. Lemme know if any of you guys want to do some multiplayer skirmishes this weekend; I've gotta test the game out for review this week.

#30 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Mikemcn: dude! added to the 2011 releases thread. thanks
#31 Posted by Dejkrigeren (384 posts) -

I preordered it and I've been playing a ton of multiplayer this weekend (retired my character in cRPG) so I'm really looking forward to this.

#32 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

FUCK YA I AM!

#33 Posted by Daavpuke (120 posts) -

Is this a stand alone? Because I've been hearing good things from this game. I might try and get my hands on it.

#34 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -

I'll be checking it out for sure.

#35 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

Hopefully Dave and Mike Horn (and possibly Vinny!) do a Quick Look, like they did with Warband. Then I'll make a call from that.

#36 Posted by Karkarov (3071 posts) -

I will probably pick it up.  Have tons of time in both the previous games and enjoyed them.  The additions of this version will probably make it even a little more fun and I like their idea's with the banking and story based stuff.

#37 Posted by ectoplasma (974 posts) -

Im interested in the new quest lines. I think if they added some type of in game goals the game would be even better.

#38 Posted by eezo (284 posts) -

i got all the games on the steam sale, so yes i am :)

#39 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

I'll be getting it someday, but for now, I need to save up money for The Witcher 2.

But I will take donations gladly. 
#40 Posted by Daavpuke (120 posts) -

Nevermind, already got my copy in the mail. Tomorrow I will take my first steps into Mount & Blade. I'm very curious.

#41 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" I bought it for the hats. "
I bought it and then saw the hats. It's not given me the hats yet though :(
#42 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Yes. Only 4 hours left

#43 Posted by StealthRaptor (527 posts) -

Could someone who gets this please post a review later this week?

#44 Posted by Daavpuke (120 posts) -

I got a GamersGate key yesterday, but it's not valid, even today now that it's live <.<. Pretty pissed right now. Oh wait, GiantBomb actually let's me swear. Pretty fucking pissed right now. There, that's better.

#45 Posted by durog (219 posts) -

played a couple hours (mostly mp) fun as hell! guns aren't overpowered it takes about 10sec to reload next shot and is less accurate than the bow. Sporting a musket, pistol and axe is the way i'm playing "the Patriot" style :)

#46 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Just finished installing, pumped to give it a go later, after I do all my busy work. Maybe I should get off GB and get on that....

#47 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

All over this! Can't wait to get home and install it.
#48 Posted by dandead (171 posts) -

Well the guns seem OK in this so far. Not as overpowered I thought they where going to be. Very hard to aim over long distances as well but that possibly me just sucking at the game right now. Online has a diffrent feel to it thanks to the new maps and weapons. Enjoying this so far but which one I will continue to play online will depend on my mood I think.

#49 Edited by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -

Just watched a video of it and the gun animations and mechanics seem to be the same as in all the mods. The Taleworlds team really isn't big on the whole, improving things-thing is it? Its like they cut and pasted the code from one of the musket mods. You hold the pistol the same goofy way (Its a retooled spear holding animation, I think.)
Still looks like fun though, as soon as I get a chance I'll buy it. Is the interface any cleaner? Its hard to tell from the video, but the font seems tighter and the assets seem less stretched. 

#50 Posted by TheHT (11133 posts) -

Yeah I dunno how I feel about this. Looks like a Warband mod.

Still, having loved original and Warband and sunk hundreds of hours into them, I might just stop thinking about it and get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.