Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mount and Blade: With Fire & Sword

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 03, 2011

Set in the 1600s, Fire and the Sword brings the medieval Mount and Blade games into an era of new technology and conflicts, while retaining its open world RPG gameplay.

I know this sounds stupid....

Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Somadude

But How do I recruit troops  in the single-player?

I've tried going into towns and camps, but I still can't figure it out.

Is it a bug or am I just doing it wrong?

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

There are a few mercenary camps scattered around, but none near the starting point, if I recall.

Your best bet is to head into taverns in fortresses/larger cities. You can usually recruit various mercenary units/companions from there.

Though, this can sometimes be a bit expensive. (I've seen some merc troops go for up to $500)

Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Somadude
    @MuttersomeTaxicab said:
    "

There are a few mercenary camps scattered around, but none near the starting point, if I recall.

Your best bet is to head into taverns in fortresses/larger cities. You can usually recruit various mercenary units/companions from there.

Though, this can sometimes be a bit expensive. (I've seen some merc troops go for up to $500)

"

Thank you!

I was confused because ( at least from the demo ) geting troops in the first M&B was as simple as clicking on a town and requesting them.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MysteriousFawx

As with all mount and blade games you can totally ruin yourself early on. Numbers > Quality for a good portion of the game I've found as upgrading troops early leads to them costing more per recruit and in turn leaving you screwed if a battle goes horribly wrong and you need a large force again.

Only decent way I've found to make money so far is constantly looting towns, turns over about 3k per sale from all the trade goods.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Mercenary camps and pubs is what works for me so far.

Monztah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Monztah

Also, once you get a bit further into the game and join a faction, you will be able to recruit faction troops just like in Warband and the original - except only in fortresses you own.

As for making money, trading will net you ridiculous amounts of money if you know what to look for. Try going to the cities in the south/south east (near the Black Sea/Sea of Azov I think it is) and buy spices, then sell those to cities in the north/west for around a 500 thaler profit a pop. Same can be done with furs (except you buy it in or around Moscow), for a slightly lower profit. Keep in mind prices fluctuate heavily between games, so make sure to scout out the best prices for your goods first.

Once you get a modest amount of money and a small army for protection from those incredibly annoying bands of deserters, you can start sending caravans around. Keep in mind though, this is very risky as you have to pay a hidden trading tax unless you buy a trading permit (costs 45k), and that tax can easily cause you to loose money from your caravans.

Oh, and troops are slightly bugged right now. They don't gain any experience, at all (You and your companions still do, and mercenaries recruited from taverns are working fine - i.e. they are not supposed to level up). This will supposedly be fixed in a patch coming out tomorrow, though.
    Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Chumm
    @Monztah said:

Oh, and troops are slightly bugged right now. They don't gain any experience, at all (You and your companions still do, and mercenaries recruited from taverns are working fine - i.e. they are not supposed to level up). This will supposedly be fixed in a patch coming out tomorrow, though.
    "
    A fan made a fix, was just an issue with a text file of all things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.