Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mount and Blade: With Fire & Sword

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 03, 2011

Set in the 1600s, Fire and the Sword brings the medieval Mount and Blade games into an era of new technology and conflicts, while retaining its open world RPG gameplay.

This game is harder.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Neonie

Does anyone else find that this version of the game is way harder then War Band? I didn't play the originally Mount and Blade but it seems like they took things out of Warband that made the game way more user friendly. 

In Warband you started in a city, not an open field. In Warband you could go to any town and get recruits, in this one you HAVE to go a tavern and pay much larger fees then the 10gold minimum for inexperienced troops, in Warband you -always- had a horse, it wasn't really something you could loose (At least, I never lost mine). 

It just seems like this game was made way harder for some inexplicable reason. Or maybe I'm just playing it wrong. Does anyone else feel it's become harder? 
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I'm finding it about the same. Though I found War Band hard too.

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Flaboere
    @Neonie said:
    " Does anyone else find that this version of the game is way harder then War Band? I didn't play the originally Mount and Blade but it seems like they took things out of Warband that made the game way more user friendly. 

In Warband you started in a city, not an open field. In Warband you could go to any town and get recruits, in this one you HAVE to go a tavern and pay much larger fees then the 10gold minimum for inexperienced troops, in Warband you -always- had a horse, it wasn't really something you could loose (At least, I never lost mine). 

It just seems like this game was made way harder for some inexplicable reason. Or maybe I'm just playing it wrong. Does anyone else feel it's become harder? 
    "
    You don't HAVE to go to a tavern to recruit, it's much better to recruit from one of the mercenary camps. Also, you could loose your horse in Warband, I'm absolutely sure. What seems to make this game harder seems to be the guns; they almost 1-hit everything, and the random hits from across the battlefield are too hardcore. People are used to just charging the enemy alone on their horse, but now this will only lead to a quick death by bullet. I'm also suspecting the AI of blocking a lot more than in Warband.
    Supercancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Supercancer
    In some ways I think this game is actually easier then the previous Mount & Blades. You can buy goods, such as food, at much lower prices. Also, like Flaboere said, it's certainly easier going to a mercenary camp to get troops instead of taverns. At the camps, you're allowed to recruit the type of unit you want instead of traveling to various taverns in hopes of getting the unit you want. Also you can choose how many troops you want, which can save you a lot of money.

The only thing I've found to be harder in this game is purchasing weapons and armor, as it's far more expensive this time around (which in a way is kind of fun since it makes trying out your new sword even more rewarding). And as far as the muskets go, as long as you bob and weave enough on the battlefield, you really shouldn't have any trouble (although it is a bit strange that a wooden shield can deflect lead bullets).

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention the one time my army of 100 units was ambushed by an army of 2,000. Some might consider this to be a bit "tricky"
    Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Neonie
    @Flaboere said:
    " @Neonie said:
    " Does anyone else find that this version of the game is way harder then War Band? I didn't play the originally Mount and Blade but it seems like they took things out of Warband that made the game way more user friendly. 

"
    You don't HAVE to go to a tavern to recruit, it's much better to recruit from one of the mercenary camps. 

I just found out about this yesterday. I didn't realize it before but yes, it seems the "town recruit" system was replaced by Mercenary camps, which I thought were like enemy camps in the previous games. I'm now not finding this QUITE as hard. But like Supercancer said, getting armor and stuff is still quite difficult. So I guess I'm still sort of feeling things out. 
    Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Flaboere

Ok, after playing a little, I found that money generally are NOT hard to come by. Here's how:

Make some money, a few 100 are good enough, like 300. Go to the towns down south, in the Sich region, and find a town selling velvet, really cheap (80-140), and buy as much as you can. Now go north and sell said velvet, where it sells for around 1100-1400 per piece (Vyborg, fx). Now do this alot, and you'll get some starting cast. Now, for caravans:

Go to a city selling velvet cheap. Talk to the mayer about trading, and buy a caravan of velvet for a city you know buys expensive. Now, take the caravan to said town, sell and profit. A large caravan sells for between 40.000 to 90.000. 

You'll soon find velvet a little hard to come buy, and the cities won't start caravans with something they don't have. So, always carry around 1 piece of velvet; when you come to a city that doesn't do velvet caravan, go to the general goods shop, and sell your 1 velvet. Not the city will make velvet caravans. Don't forgot to buy back your 1 piece of velvet before leaving town. 

This way, you'll have a neverending way to make lots of money. At least for starting out! If you want to, you can use some money to buy all the soldiers you can carry, you'll get attacked less, but will move slower. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.