Having problems with finding purpose

#1 Posted by Fallen189 (5005 posts) -

Hi everyone.

I've had warband for ages, playing the single player campaign. I've been playing for a few hours, loving the archery combat and shit. But my problem is lack of direction. I'm not entirely sure what I'm meant to be doing. I'm really digging the combat, but is there anything more to this? If anyone can explain some of the key objectives or whatever, I'd be very appreciative!
#2 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Well, you can do missions until you level up enough to start your own faction (just take over a poorly defended castle.) or you can pledge to a faction (Talk to the faction leader) and help them take over things, if you like combat thats what you want to do since it will lead to huge battles. 

Or You can just burn and pillage every village you encounter until everyone hates you . Not the best option but fun.  Its also a sandbox, so, your supposed to just do whats fun.
#3 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

andi f you join a faction, you can get married and own and protect your own fiefs and shit

#4 Posted by Fallen189 (5005 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" Well, you can do missions until you level up enough to start your own faction (just take over a poorly defended castle.) or you can pledge to a faction (Talk to the faction leader) and help them take over things, if you like combat thats what you want to do since it will lead to huge battles. 

Or You can just burn and pillage every village you encounter until everyone hates you . Not the best option but fun.  Its also a sandbox, so, your supposed to just do whats fun.
"
Oh I'm aware of the sandbox nature, I'm just trying to find a way to define my play style really. I'd love to start taking over castles and such, but I just can't seem to find out how. How would I go about getting missions and such? It seems like a lot of villages/towns have recruitment and stores only
#5 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

My tip would be to start by going to the village centers in each village and talking to the village elders, usually the only ones standing still.

In every big town, go to the castle and talk to the lord there since they usually have some good quests, collecting taxes for a village for example which will get you a fifth of what you collect.

Actually, just watch this guys Let's Play, since I'm just repeating what he said in those videos pretty much...

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" @Mikemcn said:
" Well, you can do missions until you level up enough to start your own faction (just take over a poorly defended castle.) or you can pledge to a faction (Talk to the faction leader) and help them take over things, if you like combat thats what you want to do since it will lead to huge battles. 

"
Oh I'm aware of the sandbox nature, I'm just trying to find a way to define my play style really. I'd love to start taking over castles and such, but I just can't seem to find out how. How would I go about getting missions and such? It seems like a lot of villages/towns have recruitment and stores only "
that was my problem with the game when i gave up. all i found was towns scattered around the map with sword fighting arenas and people walking about.. it had no purpose
#7 Posted by Fallen189 (5005 posts) -
@MaFoLu said:
" My tip would be to start by going to the village centers in each village and talking to the village elders, usually the only ones standing still.
In every big town, go to the castle and talk to the lord there since they usually have some good quests, collecting taxes for a village for example which will get you a fifth of what you collect.

Actually, just watch this guys Let's Play, since I'm just repeating what he said in those videos pretty much...

"
Literally been to every village and every city. Not a single person has a quest for me. Every 8 or 9, I find a group of bandits.

Kind of losing things to do

#8 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" @MaFoLu said:
" My tip would be to start by going to the village centers in each village and talking to the village elders, usually the only ones standing still.

"
Literally been to every village and every city. Not a single person has a quest for me. Every 8 or 9, I find a group of bandits.

"
Have you been talking to Lords? They give quests, also, if you walk around Major cities theres usually a Guild master who'll give you something to do, Village elders also give missions but sometimes they're kinda lame (Bring me 6 cattle, I need 5 bags of grain, etc.)

Until you start talking to lords and building up your status with them you can't involve yourself in all the crazy battles. 
#9 Posted by commandercup (500 posts) -

Start taking over some castles and then become a rebel nation! Build up large forces by upping your leadership skill and recruiting at all the villages you pass by. Train your units by joining the warbands of a faction and then start taking some castles. Once you get settled as a lord with a couple of castles, you can break off as your own nation or support someone else in the quest for recognition as a king/queen and control lords of your own.

#10 Posted by Fallen189 (5005 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @MaFoLu said:

"

"
Have you been talking to Lords? They give quests, also, if you walk around Major cities theres usually a Guild master who'll give you something to do, Village elders also give missions but sometimes they're kinda lame (Bring me 6 cattle, I need 5 bags of grain, etc.)

Until you start talking to lords and building up your status with them you can't involve yourself in all the crazy battles. 
"
Woo, sorry for being so ignorant towards the game earlier. I've been horsing around the last few hours, and really finding some depth in the game. I've been bouncing from Lord to Lord, finding quests where I can. I've been building up a small force, 30 or so, because I can't seem to hire more people (I'm low in the required stat, and it's hard to level on bandits) but I'm really getting there!

@commandercup said:
" Start taking over some castles and then become a rebel nation! Build up large forces by upping your leadership skill and recruiting at all the villages you pass by. Train your units by joining the warbands of a faction and then start taking some castles. Once you get settled as a lord with a couple of castles, you can break off as your own nation or support someone else in the quest for recognition as a king/queen and control lords of your own. "
How would you suggest doing things like this? I'd love to one day do this, but I assume I'd need a 100 or so force to take it on?

I'll end with a really good tale that occured last night.

So I'm on my way to an allied city to deliver a message, when I start being chased down by a set of guys. I initially thought "Oh shit" and booked it, but my paltry 5.4 speed couldn't outstrip their 7(!).
So I  get caught up to, and it's the Nords, who as a proud Swadian, I'm at war with. They chase me down, and it's their 60 guys against my 19. I think I MIGHT be able to take it if I'm clever. I run to a choke, and decide to make my stand there. With cavalry charging, infantry holding, and archers at the back, I think I can take it. An enemy huscarl FLIES AT ME and takes me out in one hit. I am taken prisoner.

They didn't get far though with me, being caught in combat with my biggest ally. I escape as he's still in engaged, so I think it's my chance to shine. After a few steps, I figure "Actually, I'm getting in on this fight". I jumped in, adding 1 man to a 60 on 50 fight. I long range snipe and we quickly rout the enemy. Not only did I get my revenge, but I also got my troops back which had been taken prisoner, and had been with me since the start of the game. I also took one Nord prisoner, and subsequently sold him into slavery

Let nobody say I am an unmerciful lord
#11 Posted by commandercup (500 posts) -
@Fallen189: You definitely should have a sizable force before seizing castles even if you are part of a warband because the enemy faction will try and seize the castle back. That said, as long as you have at least a dozen or so men more than are in garrison (or much better unit types) then you should be fine attacking it. Looting villages (enemy factions) is a great way to earn some quick money which can be spent on heroes and mercenaries in taverns as well as the small funds necessary to recruit villagers.

It definitely sounds like you've gotten into the flow of the game even if you don't have a real purpose. xD I'd go so far as to say that a merciful lord would release his prisoners though. 
#12 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@Fallen189: It may be a while before you get there but you can find "claimants" for each faction. Basically, they're a guy who claims to be the rightful ruler of a certain faction and if you want to you can take up arms in their cause and start taking over towns and castles under a new faction. Problem is, you'll need around 200 renown (which is a LOT) and once you're lucky enough to take over a town/castle (which automatically gets you the village that's tied to it), you'll need to defend from the original owners (who in case you haven't realised, really fucking hates you). From that point on, it's more about taking over more land. If you're lost, it's a good idea to talk to the claimant.

It'll be a long time before you get to this point but chances are that you'll have a lot of money and men when you do. It becomes harder and more interesting and rewarding once you get over that hump and if I remember correctly, you can make your companions lords though that too, will take a while. If you want to know more and where these claimants are, just go to a tavern and talk to a Traveller and he'll tell you where they are for a small price.

It's really late in the game so it's a good idea to do what the other guys said before you embark on this ambitious quest. Alternatively, just work for an existing faction and hope you're good enough to own your own land. Either way, good luck with all the killin' and all.
#13 Posted by Fallen189 (5005 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" @Fallen189: It may be a while before you get there but you can find "claimants" for each faction. Basically, they're a guy who claims to be the rightful ruler of a certain faction and if you want to you can take up arms in their cause and start taking over towns and castles under a new faction. Problem is, you'll need around 200 renown (which is a LOT) and once you're lucky enough to take over a town/castle (which automatically gets you the village that's tied to it), you'll need to defend from the original owners (who in case you haven't realised, really fucking hates you). From that point on, it's more about taking over more land. If you're lost, it's a good idea to talk to the claimant.It'll be a long time before you get to this point but chances are that you'll have a lot of money and men when you do. It becomes harder and more interesting and rewarding once you get over that hump and if I remember correctly, you can make your companions lords though that too, will take a while. If you want to know more and where these claimants are, just go to a tavern and talk to a Traveller and he'll tell you where they are for a small price.It's really late in the game so it's a good idea to do what the other guys said before you embark on this ambitious quest. Alternatively, just work for an existing faction and hope you're good enough to own your own land. Either way, good luck with all the killin' and all. "
Cheers boss.

It's been going great so far. I'm at around level 12, and just waiting to go to war. Everyone's peaceful at the moment, which makes it hard to get levels>charisma>bigger party

Stuck at a 40 men army for now. What I use is very strong, but it's a bit of a grind waiting to find people to kill sometimes.

Can't wait to somehow get my own little...thing!
#14 Posted by Sweep (8858 posts) -

I completely skipped the campaign and jumped right into the multiplayer. There are some really good mods that are, incidentally, the most popular servers that effectively turn the multiplayer into an RPG. You have attributes that you need to level up, as well as money and equipment that you need to save and buy, and that consistently sticks with you throughout the life of your character (yeah, they even age as you play). After attempting the campaign and finding it... not to my tastes, these consistent online multiplayer mods were awesome.

#15 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

The only purpose of Mount and Blade's single player campaign is whatever you want it to be.  There is no "story" or "wrong decision" other than losing a battle.  Some players like trying to put a claimant on a throne, others just want to amass as big an army as they can, others like to travel from tourney to tourney kicking ass and taking names, my last Warband game I declared myself a ruler and tried to take over the entire map and when I stopped was actually one country away from it.  Why did I stop?  Because I realized how boring it would be if I had no one to fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.