Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mount & Blade: Warband

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 30, 2010

Warband is a stand-alone expansion for Mount and Blade. It serves an improved and expanded re-release of the original Mount and Blade, a medieval open world RPG by Taleworlds.

Oh man.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

I definitely just spent 4 hours playing this game today. 

It's still fucking terrific. Can't wait till they add muskets in the next expansion. (Yeah, I know there's a mod already for muskets, but still.) 

STILL.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I agree.

Once every few weeks I get sucked in again.
    Taking over stuff takes ages and makes it feel like some big ass strategy game. 
    I love it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

I love it too, but one minor complaint I have is, I wish you could do those arena type things with real weapons, not wooden ones.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Whenever I hear this game's name said aloud, I think "Mountain Warband." 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By mikemcn

I love killing fools online. Singleplayer isnt as fun because you cant hero your way through everything like you used to be able to.

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

The multiplayer is amazing, fantastic fun. I put a solid 20 hours into it before even bothering with any of the other game modes.  Siege is my personal favourite.

I like that they added a brief sort of tutorial/opening quest in the single-player game, too. Gives things a little more coherence. Mostly I'm just mashing through melee contests to level up my main hero. Then I'll start working on the training grounds, too. I really want to explore the higher-tier stuff, but ingratiating myself to various lords and counts is sometimes frustrating when they get captured in the line of duty. Also, the recent-ish addition of steam achievements was a nice touch. I probably wouldn't have bothered harrassing farmers and insulting lords if there were no cheevs for it. 

Also, the custom battle mode is kinda bananas. Good if you want to grind out that "kill 5000 dudes" achievement. At least, if your computer can handle having 400 guys all kicking the shit out of each other. (It's especially fun having a huge battle with 200 of just one unit type. 200 on 200 archers gets fucking NUTS.) 

But yeah, for me the bread and butter of this game is the multiplayer. Apparently With Fire and Sword will add the option of taking your troops from the campaign to duke it out online. If that's implemented properly, it could be fabulous.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By jorbear

The game gets really interesting when you get involved with the internal politics of your faction. As soon as you court a lass, the game gets really good.

Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Dejkrigeren

There is a mod for multiplayer called cRPG. It basically adds levels and gear to multiplayer ala singleplayer, however it is simplified down to agility and strength. If you like getting hit in the head by a bar mace and being unable to do anything about it you should check it out. It's great fun as soon as you get a few levels.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By onarum

Yeah, this game is ridiculously addictive, and once you're done with the native experience (easily 150+ hours) you just install a damn mod and go at it again.

When you ever feel the need for a good SP mod I more then Highly recommend the Prophecy of Pendor mod, it's just mind blowing fantastic, and in many ways better than native.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Levio91 :(

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear said:

"The game gets really interesting when you get involved with the internal politics of your faction. As soon as you court a lass, the game gets really good. "

About how far into the game before you get wrapped up in this intrigue? It's definitely the meaty bits I want to get to, but mostly I'm just ferrying letters about and killing bandits without a significant improvement in my standing. 

@Dejkrigeren
    said:

"There is a mod for multiplayer called cRPG. It basically adds levels and gear to multiplayer ala singleplayer, however it is simplified down to agility and strength. If you like getting hit in the head by a bar mace and being unable to do anything about it you should check it out. It's great fun as soon as you get a few levels. "

This mod, is that experience/gear persistent? or do I have to restart from scratch every time I log into a server?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By mikemcn
    @Dejkrigeren said:
    " There is a mod for multiplayer called cRPG. It basically adds levels and gear to multiplayer ala singleplayer, however it is simplified down to agility and strength. If you like getting hit in the head by a bar mace and being unable to do anything about it you should check it out. It's great fun as soon as you get a few levels. "
    That mod is kinda lame in that all the people who have been playing it forever have the best stuff by far, so they just eat you alive. 
    Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dejkrigeren
    @MuttersomeTaxicab:  
    It's persistant 
     @Mikemcn:  
    Well the problem with the people having played forever and using the best gear has sort of been rectified by the addition of repairing gear, however I do agree with you the first few hours are going to suck big time. However as soon as you start getting decent gear and a few levels, it starts being fun. The true problem with the mod is that there is no way for them to seperate new players and the prolords. 
    Right now I'm level 30 and playing cRPG has really taught me how to manual block against a real player, how to feint and how to fail at chambering.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696

I have the first Mount & Blade. What am I missing?

MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dejkrigeren said:

" @MuttersomeTaxicab:  
    It's persistant 
      @Mikemcn:  Well the problem with the people having played forever and using the best gear has sort of been rectified by the addition of repairing gear, however I do agree with you the first few hours are going to suck big time. However as soon as you start getting decent gear and a few levels, it starts being fun. The true problem with the mod is that there is no way for them to seperate new players and the prolords. Right now I'm level 30 and playing cRPG has really taught me how to manual block against a real player, how to feint and how to fail at chambering. "

Terrific. Googling now! 

@ch13696 said:

"I have the first Mount & Blade. What am I missing? "

The difference between Mount & Blade and M&B Warband is pretty sizeable. Warband was prettied up a huge amount, they added a whole multiplayer section to the game that is stupendously compelling. They added "custom battle" mode, which is like a bot-filled pseudo-version of the multiplayer modes (siege and battle, at least.) 

They added steam achievements, made a bunch of tweaks to the single-player mode (they also added a starting set of quests to get your feet wet.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.