Twisted Pixel Announces Ms. Splosion Man

• 111 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The next game from indie developer Twisted Pixel Games is a "sequel" to 2009's Xbox Live Arcade success Splosion Man. Its name? Ms. Splosion Man.  What? You expected Splosion Man 2 or something?

Actually, the fact that Ms. Splosion Man isn't named "Splosion Man 2" is pretty important to Twisted Pixel. According to studio COO Josh Bear, Twisted Pixel isn't interested in making sequels unless the sequel provides the studio with the opportunity to improve and add to the original game. Ms. Splosion Man, a completely new character and also game, is a representation of this ideal.   

"We have never wanted to make a sequel to one of our games unless we thought it made sense, that we could add more to it and actually make a better game," Bear told Joystiq. "I think with Splosion Man a follow-up was something we really wanted to do, and that is why you never saw DLC for that game.  

"We could have churned out new levels, but we wouldn't have had the time to add in new gameplay puzzles or cool new character stuff. But we didn't just want to do Splosion Man 2, it had to be something a little more interesting." 

== TEASER ==Unfortunately, there's not much more we can share with you. The press release, which does a fair amount of joking only has one more detail: Ms. Splosion Man is due out in Fall 2011.  

Here's that press release, by the way.

AUSTIN, TX – December 2, 2010 – Twisted Pixel Games was pleased to announce today that their subsidiary, Big Science, has captured the Splosion Man and guaranteed the safety of all humankind. Many remember the terrifying events of July 2009: Splosion Man's horrifying rampage through Big Science laboratories that meated hundreds of scientists and caused untold damage to their underground laboratories. Eye witnesses reported widespread destruction and a staggering number of t-bones and fillets left in his wake.

Today that ends, with Twisted Pixel releasing footage of the successful capture of the renegade experiment. The scientists speak with new-found confidence about their success. Says Dr. Wilson, "Even if some sort of newer, stronger, better threat were created, our newest security measures and fiendish traps would be more than enough to contain it. We've made incredible advances in our technology over this past year.... Not that there would ever be a use for any of it."

Dr. Henry was quick to add, "Our lab, our equipment - everything has had functionality improvements and visual overhauls, and our company has expanded to some incredible new locations. It's all pristine and beautiful - decadent environments that we are very happy no experiment gone wrong will ever rampage through." Dr. Henry paused briefly before continuing, "I don't even know why I'm mentioning that, because it's 100% guaranteed that Splosion Man will never be a threat to us again."

When asked if there was any risk of overconfidence amongst the scientists, Dr. Riley was quick to interject. "Why? What's going to happen, some sort of freak accident in the after party that creates a "Ms. Splosion Man" mere seconds after Splosion Man's capture? And then the Ms. Splosion Man goes on some monster tear in the fall of 2011? Yeah right. Not very likely."

Twisted Pixel Games reiterates that despite the fact that nothing could possibly go wrong during today's events, should any newsworthy event occur, they will release as much information as possible in the coming months.

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The next game from indie developer Twisted Pixel Games is a "sequel" to 2009's Xbox Live Arcade success Splosion Man. Its name? Ms. Splosion Man.  What? You expected Splosion Man 2 or something?

Actually, the fact that Ms. Splosion Man isn't named "Splosion Man 2" is pretty important to Twisted Pixel. According to studio COO Josh Bear, Twisted Pixel isn't interested in making sequels unless the sequel provides the studio with the opportunity to improve and add to the original game. Ms. Splosion Man, a completely new character and also game, is a representation of this ideal.   

"We have never wanted to make a sequel to one of our games unless we thought it made sense, that we could add more to it and actually make a better game," Bear told Joystiq. "I think with Splosion Man a follow-up was something we really wanted to do, and that is why you never saw DLC for that game.  

"We could have churned out new levels, but we wouldn't have had the time to add in new gameplay puzzles or cool new character stuff. But we didn't just want to do Splosion Man 2, it had to be something a little more interesting." 

== TEASER ==Unfortunately, there's not much more we can share with you. The press release, which does a fair amount of joking only has one more detail: Ms. Splosion Man is due out in Fall 2011.  

Here's that press release, by the way.

AUSTIN, TX – December 2, 2010 – Twisted Pixel Games was pleased to announce today that their subsidiary, Big Science, has captured the Splosion Man and guaranteed the safety of all humankind. Many remember the terrifying events of July 2009: Splosion Man's horrifying rampage through Big Science laboratories that meated hundreds of scientists and caused untold damage to their underground laboratories. Eye witnesses reported widespread destruction and a staggering number of t-bones and fillets left in his wake.

Today that ends, with Twisted Pixel releasing footage of the successful capture of the renegade experiment. The scientists speak with new-found confidence about their success. Says Dr. Wilson, "Even if some sort of newer, stronger, better threat were created, our newest security measures and fiendish traps would be more than enough to contain it. We've made incredible advances in our technology over this past year.... Not that there would ever be a use for any of it."

Dr. Henry was quick to add, "Our lab, our equipment - everything has had functionality improvements and visual overhauls, and our company has expanded to some incredible new locations. It's all pristine and beautiful - decadent environments that we are very happy no experiment gone wrong will ever rampage through." Dr. Henry paused briefly before continuing, "I don't even know why I'm mentioning that, because it's 100% guaranteed that Splosion Man will never be a threat to us again."

When asked if there was any risk of overconfidence amongst the scientists, Dr. Riley was quick to interject. "Why? What's going to happen, some sort of freak accident in the after party that creates a "Ms. Splosion Man" mere seconds after Splosion Man's capture? And then the Ms. Splosion Man goes on some monster tear in the fall of 2011? Yeah right. Not very likely."

Twisted Pixel Games reiterates that despite the fact that nothing could possibly go wrong during today's events, should any newsworthy event occur, they will release as much information as possible in the coming months.

#2 Edited by Ladnar (198 posts) -

yes, love how TP makes themselves part of the game and can only hope for more of the same.

#3 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Twisted pixel be trollin

#4 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

Ms. Pac Man will have something to say about this. Namely 'wacca'.

#5 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

April Fools already?

#6 Posted by AverageGreg (120 posts) -

Stoked for this big time, Splosion Man was the tits

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Ketchupp said:
" April Fools already? "
No it is official. The game was very popular. They would be foolish not to follow up. 
#8 Posted by Zaxex (586 posts) -

Twisted Pixel are the right level of insane. Sold.

#9 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Yo she's got a bow.

#10 Posted by MrNukNuk (14 posts) -

I <3 twisted pixel.  I watched the gametrailers review on my DVR.  Josh, you crack me up.

#11 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Sexy. And good for Splosion Man! :D

#12 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (810 posts) -

How does the bow not burn?

#13 Posted by MormonWarrior (2590 posts) -

I never beat Splosion Man. Not because it was too hard, but it was just kinda boring after a while. The controls often seemed just enough off to screw me up, and some of the levels are just stupidly built. These guys do quirky-funny well, but they don't build very good games...

#14 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

#15 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

If you asked me, Twisted Pixel made themselves TOO much a part of Comic Jumper and it suffered for it.  We all created cartoons in grade school - doesn't mean those deserve to made into a game once you get to make videogames for a living and stroke your lifelong ego.  No wonder the game was hollow and juvenile.  This could be solid depending on what they do with it.

#16 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I appreciate this.

#17 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -

So what's the difference between Spolsion Man and Ms. Splosion Man?

#18 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

awesome, i cant wait until the lawsuit for twisted pixel "stepping outside of their distribution agreement"

#19 Posted by Lobst (151 posts) -

Psyched as hell about this. 'Splosion Man was awesome, and now it gets a girl character. 

Hoping for more variety, more checkpoints, better online, and additional goals that cater specifically to ultra-patient memorization freaks like myself.

#20 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

Shouldn't it be Ms Splosion Woman?

#21 Posted by PaulyBoy (3 posts) -

I shall follow Twisted Pixel to the end and back. One of the few developers I will invest into.

#22 Posted by Harlo37 (10 posts) -

She's hot.

/rimshot

#23 Posted by bko (131 posts) -

Hope this also signals a return to moderating all that self-aware humor. Comic Jumper went way overboard and was just obnoxious (in addition to playing poorly).

#24 Posted by Getz (3004 posts) -
@Krystal_Sackful said:
" How does the bow not burn? "
Do not question it.
#25 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Every developer making games for XBLA could learn a thing or two from Twisted Pixel.

#26 Posted by madroxcide (65 posts) -
@Zimbo said:
" Shouldn't it be Ms Splosion Woman? "
I thought the same but with all the pacman stuff recently it reminds me of pacman and ms pacman, might be a shout toward that.  

Regardless i loved splosion man so i'm excited that they are doing this. 
#27 Posted by mrsmiley (1107 posts) -

loved the first game, and i'm sure i'll love the second.

#28 Posted by Sharpless (469 posts) -
@Zimbo said:
thatsthejoke.jpg
#29 Posted by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

Awesome. I love that they aren't being lazy and slapping a 2 on it.

#30 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Lawl, this game already earned my money. XD

#31 Posted by Sammo21 (3275 posts) -

Day 1 purchase, confirmed.

#32 Posted by Workinonit24 (19 posts) -

Shes got a cute butt!

#33 Posted by Alphazero (1536 posts) -

Everybody loves a small salad, I know I do, everybody loves a small salad, let's have just one or two.

#34 Posted by Steamboat (98 posts) -

Rule 34!

#35 Posted by NickyDubz (272 posts) -

Shes got a bow what did u expect me to do  she wouldnt dress like that if she didnt want it

#36 Posted by TheMasterDS (2065 posts) -

Fantastic! I enjoyed Sposion man, though the fact that it only gained difficulty by making it less forgiving was terrible.

#37 Posted by angelfan91 (892 posts) -

It's Ms. Splosion Man, so she's still single?
#38 Posted by darkjester74 (1576 posts) -

Dude, EVERYBODY loves donuts!

#39 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

Sigh. Still no love for PSN / Steam.

#40 Posted by D34dM4n (150 posts) -
@darkjester74: i know i do
#41 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Meh. I own the original and it bores me to tears. If they mixed up the level designs I might have stuck with it.

#42 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

First wasn't that fun so... no.

#43 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Zimbo said:
Wasn't called Ms Pacwoman.
#44 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Ms. Splosion Man should say "wacca wacca wacca" when running...

#45 Posted by Monk (181 posts) -

So much time between now and a year later. I guess they want to hype it up since Comic Jumper probably under performed for them. 

#46 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

lol, they take the pacman route. kinda funny. Probaly will be cool, im mad I didnt get the first game when it was like 5 bucks last week.
#47 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

Well, I thought the first game was pretty horrible, so this is an easy pass.

#48 Posted by Sovereign13 (147 posts) -

Is it April already?

#50 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" Meh. I own the original and it bores me to tears. If they mixed up the level designs I might have stuck with it. "
My thoughts exactly. I couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.