Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Apr 09, 2009

A 2D action game from the creators of Odin Sphere, featuring a hand-drawn, watercolor Japanese art style. Originally released on the Wii, it has since received an enhanced port for the PS Vita.

Muramasa:The Demon Blade Would Be Easy To Bring Over To 360&PS3

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

I found this from an interview with George Kamitami, the head of Vanillaware:

What do you think are the main challenges to getting to 720p-level of hi-res? Right now, Muramasa is 480 -- how big a leap is it from 480 to 720 -- what KOF accomplishes?

GK: Well, the original art we draw is all done in double-size -- in the case of Muramasa, the animation frames then get compressed down to the Wii's native resolution. As a result, producing a fully HD title would not be a great deal of extra work for us; it would just mean our original art is displayed in higher resolution. It wouldn't be a simple insert -- we retouch the compressed graphics here and there to make sure they look as good as possible -- but it's not restarting from scratch, either.

Thanks to Gamasutra

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By rallier

With the exception of Muramasa i don't see how any of those games could be remade for 360 and PS3 without the porting cost being superior to the amount it costed to develop those games. They are good games so the more people will be able to access it the better but i just can't see this happen. Also most of the games Marvellous publishes/produces would absolutely tank on anything but the Wii/PSP/DS, I can't imagine the average 360 user enjoying a game like Harvest Moon.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Hmm, that would be good. I want to play this game but It aint worth buying a Wii for :D

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Rallier said:

"  With the exception of Muramasa i don't see how any of those games could be remade for 360 and PS3 without the porting cost being superior to the amount it costed to develop those games. They are good games so the more people will be able to access it the better but i just can't see this happen. Also most of the games Marvellous publishes/produces would absolutely tank on anything but the Wii/PSP/DS, I can't imagine the average 360 user enjoying a game like Harvest Moon. "

On your last point. Maybe on the 360 perhaps, but even still, just because there are a large number of 360 users that like FPS's and the likes, it doesn't mean they're all blind to quality games in other genre's. 

I also happen to think PS3 users are far more inclined to try out quirky Japanese games of the type Marvelous are known to make.  

These could be digitally distributed over PSN, reducing costs significantly.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rallier
    @Linkyshinks: Quite true indeed. The fact that this might be digital distribution makes it sound quite a bit more feasible, i suppose that in that case they would be simply porting the games with no graphical updates since people do not expect everything that is digitally distributed to be shiny unlike retail releases.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Rallier said:

" @Linkyshinks: Quite true indeed. The fact that this might be digital distribution makes it sound quite a bit more feasible, i suppose that in that case they would be simply porting the games with no graphical updates since people do not expect everything that is digitally distributed to be shiny unlike retail releases. "

If Muramasa is to appear on 360 and PS3 in the future, the versions will almost certainly be running at a higher resolution. Like he says, the assets are already there, they just need to be implemented without a compression process - (distortion -- then tweaking to make it look better on 480p ) 

360 & PS3 users would expect as much also.

I want to see Muramasa run at 720p. Someone needs to get that on the internet.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rallier
    @Linkyshinks: Oh i meant for the games except Muramasa, it would almost make no sense if that game is not ported at some point in the future.

Edit: looks like i have been replying to the wrong thread here ^^ My comments where meant for the other thread you created.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't understand why the game was never in consideration in the first place, it's not like there isn't any obscure japanese games for the ps3/360 on the market already. It even has normal controller type gameplay. 
    Ive looked into buying it from all angles and buying a wii for it is just not convenient or a sane choice despite it being the only game i feel I NEED to play this year.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

Hmm... if I'm lucky, a 360 port might be announced before the game's European release. I don't mean to bash the Wii, but I honestly gotta say, I think a 360 controller would be a lot more comfortable for a game like this.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Icemael said:

" Hmm... if I'm lucky, a 360 port might be announced before the game's European release. I don't mean to bash the Wii, but I honestly gotta say, I think a 360 controller would be a lot more comfortable for a game like this. "

The 360 D-pad  or thumbstick, better than a Nintendo D-pad for a game with twitch combat?.  You do know the game on Wii can use a Classic Controller and Gamecube Controller also, don't you?

I'm playing with this, or a Super Famicom Classic, when the game finally makes it here next year. I have a gut feeling this will be perfect.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Icemael said:

" Hmm... if I'm lucky, a 360 port might be announced before the game's European release. I don't mean to bash the Wii, but I honestly gotta say, I think a 360 controller would be a lot more comfortable for a game like this. "

The 360 D-pad  or thumbstick, better than a Nintendo D-pad for a game with twitch combat?.  You do know the game on Wii can use a Classic Controller and Gamecube Controller also, don't you?"
    The D-pad on my GameCube controller isn't very comfortable(not as bad as the 360 one, of course, but not nearly as good as the ones on Wiimotes and DSs -- it's somewhere in the middle), and I'm not going to buy a Classic controller just for one game.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you find the one on wiimote so good then what's the problem? Play with the wiimote. Though there are plenty more games to justify the classic controller purchase if you prefer that style more (brawl, tatsunoko, all the virtual console games, monster hunter 3 etc).

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icemael
    @Al3xand3r: If it could be played with only the Wiimote, held sideways, I would. But from what I've heard, you gotta play it with Wiimote+Nunchuk... that is not the way I want to play a side-scroller.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Ah, I didn't know that. Does it really need so many buttons to not be playable with just the remote? It seemed quite simple. Well, I've got a classic controller but I'm not sure I'd choose that yet, it depends on how well the nunchuck's analog stick works with this game. It's nice to play with a detached controller like this so you can do whatever with your arms rather than keep both in a fixed place. I'll probably lean to CC for the d-pad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.