US Version Of Muramasa: The Demon Blade To Feature Subs

#1 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Ignition Entertainment have announced that the US version of Muramasa: The Demon Blade, will be subtitled, with it's original Japanese voice over work kept in place.

"deeply steeped in Japanese tradition, mythology, and culture that trying to dub it, trying to make something more Western, is really not a service to the product."
-Ignition Entertainment

Kotaku

#2 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Hell yeah! I wish every RPG publisher did this instead of the horribly nasal voice acting that most dubs have.

#3 Posted by Cyst (68 posts) -

That's amazing! I'm so glad they were able to do this! This is truly awesome I wish more games did this with Japanese culture.

#4 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

darn. it would've been nice to have both voice options. i don't know about you guys but i only understand english

subtitles are cool and all but hearing the story is better

#5 Posted by ValkyrieGoddess (1922 posts) -

I guess that will not be to bad. At least we wont have crappy half ass translations being spoken in English.

#6 Posted by Cyst (68 posts) -
@luce said:
" darn. it would've been nice to have both voice options. i don't know about you guys but i only understand englishsubtitles are cool and all but hearing the story is better "
Yeah, but Ignition isn't Atlus. They would have probably got some low rate voice actors that wouldn't do the game justice. Hell, they might've done it in-studio. Blech. I'd rather have no voice at all than horrible voice.
#7 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Awesome news.

#8 Posted by C_Rakestraw (803 posts) -

If that keeps the game from having horrid voice actors, then I'm all for it. i just hope the game won't be horribly translated. That probably won't happen, but you never know. I'm just hoping it won't.

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11001 posts) -

This is good. Not every developer can have Atlus level Localization, so instead we can listen to Japanese and feel better because we don't know if the voice acting is terrible or not.

#10 Posted by PercyChuggs (1086 posts) -
@Black_Rose said:
" Hell yeah! I wish every RPG publisher did this instead of the horribly nasal voice acting that most dubs have. "
Start playing RPG's with good voice acting, that's your problem.

Here is how that statement from Ignition should have read: "We know this game will sell probably 20,000 copies, and of those, most of them will be to fanboy JRPG nerds who would rather read subtitles, so instead of spending money on voice actors, we'll just subtitle it."
#11 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -

Half the people who complain about english dubs don't even know what they're talking about. Most don't speak Japanese and so they can't even tell if the Japanese voice acting is good. Honestly they could be the equivalent of a hillbilly speaking in Japanese and these people would say it's good just because it's become a fad to say english dubs suck. Personally I don't mind subs, but I hate when people just randomly hate on the dubs for no reason.

#12 Posted by Knives (698 posts) -

Cheaper for the publisher and with usually better results. I approve.

#13 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

yep, this is good news.

#14 Posted by Knives (698 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" Half the people who complain about english dubs don't even know what they're talking about. Most don't speak Japanese and so they can't even tell if the Japanese voice acting is good. Honestly they could be the equivalent of a hillbilly speaking in Japanese and these people would say it's good just because it's become a fad to say english dubs suck. Personally I don't mind subs, but I hate when people just randomly hate on the dubs for no reason. "
Well, yeah. That's the point. I turn on Japanese voice acting in most of the JRPGs I play because it's less distracting, you can't tell when its bad or half-assed. It helps that Japanese is also an eloquent and beautiful language. 
#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" Half the people who complain about english dubs don't even know what they're talking about. Most don't speak Japanese and so they can't even tell if the Japanese voice acting is good. Honestly they could be the equivalent of a hillbilly speaking in Japanese and these people would say it's good just because it's become a fad to say english dubs suck. Personally I don't mind subs, but I hate when people just randomly hate on the dubs for no reason. "
Very, very true

I would have liked to have the option for english voices for this game specificly because the art in it is so beautiful, but the subtitles will cover some of that up. A small gripe to be sure, but with a game this beautiful i want to see every detail
#16 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Strange,but ok

#17 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -
@Knives said:
"
@LiquidPrince said:
Well, yeah. That's the point. I turn on Japanese voice acting in most of the JRPGs I play because it's less distracting, you can't tell when its bad or half-assed. It helps that Japanese is also an eloquent and beautiful language. 
"
And also wildly exaggerated. Just imagine a teen girl saying KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII... and you get my point.
#18 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.