Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jun 03, 2014

Murdered: Soul Suspect is an adventure mystery stealth video game developed by Airtight Games and published in 2014 by Square Enix for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

This game is actually alright.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Drekly

If you've been put off by the reviews, I strongly urge you to give this game a chance.

After watching the quick look I was immediately interested in this game, because, well this game IS really interesting. It's the best word to describe Soul Suspect.

When I finally got around to playing it, I was completely in love with the setting, the story and the characters - but the gameplay? Man, the gameplay stinks!Half the time I was wishing there was a 'skip gameplay' button, it almost made me regret I wasn't just watching a let's play of it. I stuck with it though and found myself somewhat enjoying the detective moments.

The open-world sections are dumb, and just an excuse to throw in some mindless collectables. Some of the collectables actually are worthwhile as they unlock these ghost-story type logs, all of which I found really damn cool. The demons? FUCK. THAT. Such a pointless enemy that serves no purpose and I can't believe they decided to include them. IGN considers the demons to be a 'good inclusion of strategy' -- that's a load of bullshit. If you get to a demon and aren't just immediately trying to sneak up and kill them, then you'll probably find yourself spamming to transfer between hiding spots until they fuck off. No strategy, just annoyance.

For the positives? Probably my favourite lead character in a long, long time. Ronan is such a bad-ass, but not in an over the top way, he's just a really likable dude who wants to get shit done. Joy (your side-kick) is also fantastic and the voice work and expression from both of them is absolutely TOP NOTCH.

I can't remember the last time I loved how two characters interacted with each other since maybe Uncharted, or possibly even as far back as The Darkness. They just seem incredibly down to earth and aware of how fucking insane the story they're part of is.

So to sum up. Gameplay is shit apart from some of the detective work. Story (albeit gets a little dumb half way through) and characters are amazing and almost worth drudging through for. Give it a try.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I picked this up as an impulse buy, ended up liking it quite a bit. It's something different...was disappointed with where the story ultimately went, but should've expected it. I'd recommend it as a discount purchase.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I really enjoyed this game but like you say the part where you play it is kind of bad. Also it's collectible crazy in the sense that in my 6-7 hours with it I picked up more than 150 different trinkets.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played it but didn't care for it. It has some initial charm but in the end there is barely anything to the gameplay and story is nothing special.

Senate4242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Senate4242

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Likeable protagonist, the environment and the story were very interesting. I also loved seeking out all the collectibles I could find, as they lead to more back story and other interesting ghost stories.

My only two gripes were:

1. The demons, although they only showed up a handful of times and were easy to avoid/kill

2. Travel. No map, and I would often get lost in the "hub" world. A warp or a map would have easily fixed this issue.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I found that the more I played the game, the more the charm started to wear off. I loved the first half hour or so, but like you said the Demons add nothing but frustration to the game, and the mystery solving aspects all felt really obvious to me. I still found it conceptually a lot more interesting than pretty much any recent game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

But, really, it's just alright. It's a very solid 3 star game :|

notsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I want to buy this game but I know it'll get a price cut sooner than later. I feel like a bad person.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My sentiment on this game is that I wish it was better. The game has the right ideas, the story and the characters are good too. But, I wish they went a different route, take out all the dumb demon fights and make it a better puzzle solving game.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GunslingerPanda

"Alright" is the best word for it, yeah. A few good things, a few bad things, a few meh things.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Heard the game felt like Ghost Noire. I'll try it when it goes down in price.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it for the most part. If your looking for a challenge I would look elsewhere. If your looking for an alright story with some interesting characters and some light puzzle solving you might want to check it out.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

You know, I would absolutely love it if they made a demake point and click version of the game, kind of like they did with Dark Void Zero.

drbobbint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By drbobbint

@notsonic: Then I guess that makes me a terrible person, I rented it from redbox and beat it in less than 24 hours. Ok but short. Suffered from some frame rate issues on the 360. My biggest complaint was the game didn't have nearly enough cat possesion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the game, but man, the auto save/checkpointing sucks!

Pushtoclose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pushtoclose

I actually really enjoyed this game too, I wish it had more investigation and puzzle elements in it, I played it for ps4 and had no issues at all

rocket_punch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked it up for $18 on a Square/Enix sale on ps4 after running across this forum post and I'm pleasantly surprised. Actually having fun with it. Don't know why the metacritic is 5/10.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Just picked it up for $18 on a Square/Enix sale on ps4 after running across this forum post and I'm pleasantly surprised. Actually having fun with it. Don't know why the metacritic is 5/10.

B games have been unfairly stamped out by the man for years. Part of a systematic industry-wide collusion designed to give rise to world of only AAA and indie, where the middle ground is no more.

O.o

Or not? I dunno. I think this game is aight.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I liked it for a little bit too, necro thread, but after a few hours it gets really dull. I couldn't finish it. It has the adventure game version of padding by making you walk everywhere and solve meaningless tasks over and over again with little feeling of accomplishment.

I love adventure games, but this one was poorly designed in several ways. It gets really boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.