Do you consider a mushroom to be a vegetable?

#1 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

You're technically wrong if you do, but I think it's a forgivable mistake seeing as you'll often find mushrooms in the vegetable section of any grocery or supermarket. With some mushrooms made nearly entirely out of water, you'd almost be forgiven for thinking they're a liquid! Although you'd have to be quite dense to think that.

So I ask you Giant Bomb - do you consider mushrooms to be vegetables? Or is that fungus you're eating?

The existence of this thread may or may not be quest-hunting related.
#2 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Mushrooms are fungi.

#3 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

To be honest, I have never really thought about it.

Mushrooms were just Mushrooms to me.

#4 Posted by Jadeskye (4359 posts) -
@Binman88: I was thinking this a while ago. it sent me on a complete tangent to look for veggies instead of fungi. 

mushrooms are fungi damnit!
#5 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

fungus, in fact they have a lot of protein in them that having mushrooms on the side of meat is like having another helping of meat

#6 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -
@StaticFalconar: Good point- also a reason why vegetarian meat substitutes often use mushroom as their base ingredient.
#7 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (496 posts) -

It's always been Fungi to me. Never questioned it.

#8 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" Mushrooms are fungi. "
You're right. At least the hint helped us find the right answer anyway.
#9 Posted by Pie (6936 posts) -

In a certain quest asking about vegetables the first thing I though was mushroom but yeah I know there not

#10 Posted by Toasty (19 posts) -

Delicious fungus.

Vegans can eat some pretty weird things - kombucha and tempeh for instance.

#11 Posted by Box3ru13 (700 posts) -

If I have my scientist hat on its a fungi but I usually wear my everyday hat on so its a veggie. Much the same a tomato is a veggie and not a fruit. 

#12 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

I don't think I've ever thought that, mushrooms are mushrooms, and if I wanted to get technical, they're fungi. Now bananas, there's a food that confuses people.

#13 Posted by ashstokes (1 posts) -
@DCFGS3:
The FDA does not even classify mushrooms as food. Debate settled.
#14 Posted by WickedFather (1713 posts) -

Mushrooms have more DNA in common with you than with vegetables.

#15 Posted by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

They are gross, so I considered them gross.

#16 Posted by Creamypies (4012 posts) -

They're fucking disgusting is what they are.

#17 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Funghi. Mushrooms are delicious, I had a Portabello mushroom for breakfast. With bacon too.    

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

Mmm...fungus:

#19 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

They are fungi. But I have no real issue with people classifying them as vegetables. It's like people calling a tomato a vegetable when it's actually a fruit. It's not a big deal. Which reminds me of a saying about the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that you don't put it in a fruit salad.

#20 Posted by Raven10 (1593 posts) -
@Toasty: Kombucha is very tasty and very good for you. I don't know what your problem is. 
#21 Posted by Tally_Pants (589 posts) -

i mostly avoid mushrooms... but i definately don't think they are veggies when i eat them...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.