EA Cuts Continue, Mythic Hit A Second Time

Posted by Jeff (3486 posts) -
Mythic Entertainment
In the wake of yesterday's earnings call, during which EA stated it would be laying off more people than it had previously anticipated, word is out today that more positions have been eliminated from Mythic Entertainment, the house responsible for Warhammer Online.

Mythic's Mark Jacobs has posted a message to players that doesn't get into specifics, but is designed to keep the Warhammer player base calm and reassure them that the game is still doing fine, and that today's cuts are also part of moving the game from the heavy pre-launch phase to a post-launch state. Here's the conclusion of that message:
Although we now have fewer developers on the game than we did leading up to the launch, WAR still has a larger dev team today than we ever had for Dark Age of Camelot. At Mythic, we’re committed to maintaining the trust of WAR players – we’re going to deliver the content and service that keeps you playing.
Massively is reporting that somewhere between 60 and 130 positions have been cut, and that these cuts impact the design and development departments.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3486 posts) -
Mythic Entertainment
In the wake of yesterday's earnings call, during which EA stated it would be laying off more people than it had previously anticipated, word is out today that more positions have been eliminated from Mythic Entertainment, the house responsible for Warhammer Online.

Mythic's Mark Jacobs has posted a message to players that doesn't get into specifics, but is designed to keep the Warhammer player base calm and reassure them that the game is still doing fine, and that today's cuts are also part of moving the game from the heavy pre-launch phase to a post-launch state. Here's the conclusion of that message:
Although we now have fewer developers on the game than we did leading up to the launch, WAR still has a larger dev team today than we ever had for Dark Age of Camelot. At Mythic, we’re committed to maintaining the trust of WAR players – we’re going to deliver the content and service that keeps you playing.
Massively is reporting that somewhere between 60 and 130 positions have been cut, and that these cuts impact the design and development departments.
Staff
#2 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Thats a lot of cuts!!!

#3 Posted by AndrewB (7587 posts) -

*shakes head* being the age where I should be looking forward to *joining* any of these teams, it doesn't bode well for my chances, and it certainly doesn't bode well for the income-less families out there now.

#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Isn't Carrie Gouskos working on Warhammer Online?.....hope she isn't one of the unlucky folks on the chopping block.

Seems a lot of places are cutting staff or closing down due to the credit crunch. Sad days. All the best to the folks who've lost a job :(

#5 Posted by stillmotion (80 posts) -

What I would give to have a name like Mark Jacobs.

#6 Posted by dtran1212 (299 posts) -

well, hopefully this will force EA to think about qaulity over quantity

#7 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I hope Carrie's ok.

#8 Posted by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

Yeah it's a big shame, but then again, understandable.

I also, hope that Carrie hasn't been chopped.

#9 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

Even though I got tired of the game really quick, it's not terrific news to hear. I really got a good vibe from the folks at Mythic during the development phase of Warhammer, and it sucks to think that they put that kind of work into a game and then got canned. =/

#10 Posted by MatthewMeadows (588 posts) -

Did Carrie get fired? :(

#11 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

Carrie still kickin'?

#12 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Everytime cuts are made everyone acts surprised.  Why keep people around after they've finished their job?  They can hire those people back later if they need to.

#13 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

Things are not going very well for WAR I feel... Heres hoping Carrie isn't affected.

#14 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Go against WoW on PC?  This is what happens to you.  Advice to all MMO publishers : Either make MMOs for consoles or don't make them at all. (until WoW is no longer significant)

#15 Posted by Slunks (329 posts) -

Oh man, I feel really bad for them. They developed a fantastic game. Best luck to those who've been cut - Hopefully they'll find jobs soon.

Any word on Carrie?

#16 Posted by StarwindX9 (145 posts) -

This was the first good MMO since Everquest. They also just released a bunch of content and a live event starts this month. I am more than happy to give my money to Mythic since I know it isn't going to the pocket's of Blizzard.

#17 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -

WOW

#18 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Carrie? No!!!!!!!!

#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Nothing in her blog or Twitter feed. Hopefully that means she's fine.

#20 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Yeah, I sure hope Carrie's okay. Although I'm sure she'd be welcome here if she did get fired.

#21 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
InFamous91 said:
"WOW"
I think you mean WAR...
#22 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Great, I guess they'll cut even more names from the credits now because "those people weren't with the project at the time of release." Ugh...

Hope these people can find jobs elsewhere soon.

#23 Posted by steelharrison (116 posts) -

If Carrie gets cut i hope she could come here

#24 Edited by Sephiroth9997 (265 posts) -

I hope Carrie's doing ok ='(

#25 Posted by Seraphim (104 posts) -

I hope they address the Carrie situation on next week's podcast; there's obviously a lot of community concern.

#26 Posted by MagicKiwi (111 posts) -

What a bummer, I was actually just thinking of trying out WAR. Maybe I should wait now?

#27 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

Really sucks how many people are taking a hit this year. Best of luck to those folks and Carrie if she was included in those.

#28 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Carrie posted a comment on Twitter:

For my homies. http://twitpic.com/1c035 Thanks for the well wishes. I'm fine. But this day isn't about me it's about my friends. Good luck.
#29 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -
#30 Posted by the_purgatory_station (408 posts) -

not surprised there were going to be cuts.  actually surprised EA spared the studio.  one of my predictions for 09 was ea mythic was going to get axed.  i mean how would EA support 2 mmos and with all the buzz surrounding bioware's TOR.

being someone that's unemployed and lived the life of a nomad, hopefully the recent laid off will be ok.  it may be a little rough now but in the end they've got skillz and companies always want people that got skillz. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.