Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mythic Entertainment

Company »

An EA-owned development studio that was responsible for games like Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. The company was shut down by owner EA in May 2014.

Mythic Now Under BioWare Jurisdiction

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

There's been some behind-the-scenes restructuring over at Electronic Arts today, with Warhammer Online developer Mythic now reporting in to Ray Muzyka, one of the co-founders of BioWare. The move creates a new RPG/MMO group.

According to the notice posted on the official Warhammer Online site, Greg Zeschuk, the other co-founder of BioWare, will serve as the Group Creative Officer, and Mythic's Rob Denton will rise to the title of General Manager, a title formerly held by Mark Jacobs. Jacobs' last day with the company was yesterday.

So what does this mean for you, the player? I'm guessing not that much. The BioWare Doctors are moving up the EA food chain and now control a larger part of the empire. But the departure of Mark Jacobs is a pretty big deal. At least that's what a former Mythic employee is relaying to Tracey John, who has a story over at Massively on that side of the topic.

Here's a bit on Jacobs:

"People are shocked and in disbelief about Mark leaving," said the former staffer. "But they're also excited to be working with BioWare. I can't even fathom Mark leaving a company he loved so much, it was his life. Personally, I can't see that this is voluntary in any shape or form."

As for Paul Barnett, creative director of Mythic and white sunglasses aficionado, there's this:

"Will he move up in the EA structure? That does raise some questions," my source said.

Considering Barnett's got ideas like this coming out of him:

...I'd say he should probably be running the whole show over there.

Be sure to read the article over at Massively for more from that source.  

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

There's been some behind-the-scenes restructuring over at Electronic Arts today, with Warhammer Online developer Mythic now reporting in to Ray Muzyka, one of the co-founders of BioWare. The move creates a new RPG/MMO group.

According to the notice posted on the official Warhammer Online site, Greg Zeschuk, the other co-founder of BioWare, will serve as the Group Creative Officer, and Mythic's Rob Denton will rise to the title of General Manager, a title formerly held by Mark Jacobs. Jacobs' last day with the company was yesterday.

So what does this mean for you, the player? I'm guessing not that much. The BioWare Doctors are moving up the EA food chain and now control a larger part of the empire. But the departure of Mark Jacobs is a pretty big deal. At least that's what a former Mythic employee is relaying to Tracey John, who has a story over at Massively on that side of the topic.

Here's a bit on Jacobs:

"People are shocked and in disbelief about Mark leaving," said the former staffer. "But they're also excited to be working with BioWare. I can't even fathom Mark leaving a company he loved so much, it was his life. Personally, I can't see that this is voluntary in any shape or form."

As for Paul Barnett, creative director of Mythic and white sunglasses aficionado, there's this:

"Will he move up in the EA structure? That does raise some questions," my source said.

Considering Barnett's got ideas like this coming out of him:

...I'd say he should probably be running the whole show over there.

Be sure to read the article over at Massively for more from that source.  

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

....What? I really just hope that this doesnt effect the games I care about in a bad way

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NoXious

If this is because of WAR not being a massive hit like WoW, I think we'll see the same happen to BioWare when they try to release KotoR - something as well established as WoW can't be beaten because of the shear amount of time some folk put into that.

I wonder what they'll work on next though, wasn't Mythic a MMO focused developer - with KotoR in the works... ? Only time will tell!

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Vorbis

Paul could sell me a chocolate toaster and I'd buy it without a seconds thought.

Max_Power_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Max_Power_

I like everything coming out of Bioware so this sounds great, although it's a little confusing... or maybe thats what the doctors want me to think. What if they are the Emperor and after a few years of war against Activision they will have gathered enough supreme power to take control of EA!!!! Which would also be great... damn doctor mind tricks!

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero

This will be good. Still sucks about Mark Jacobs, but maybe it was for the better....I never really liked that guy.

Also, Paul Barnett is awesome.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I doubt it'll matter much. 
    No offense to bioware, I love their games, but it's not like they're really creative now.  They really build greatness on the generic and expected.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Hmmmm, This could be good for Mythic, even though Mark leaving kind of sucks, since the guy loved it there as you could tell.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Media_Master

ok

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CowMuffins

As some guy has said before: "Paul could probably sell me my own car."

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Hamz

Sad to see Mark Jacobs leave. It really is. But combining Mythic with BioWare seems like a clever move in my opinion. Mythic have had wide experience with Dark Age of Camelot and now Warhammer Online and with BioWare developing The Old Republic. It would make sense to join the two together so they can combine their best qualities and hopefully we'll see some amazing games come from this pairing in the future.

As for Paul Barnett my guess and hope is he'll be bumped up the food chain to some more prominent position. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for the guy and not only is he one of the few people in this industry with a genuine and compassionate, while plain hilarious, personality but he does do great work as well. I'd hope he gets some recognition and due respect that he deserves by being promoted or shifted to an equally if not more important role within the company.

The other good thing is that atleast no job losses were announced by this restructuring. We've had quite a bit of sad news in recent closures and restructuring of game developers resulting in numerous job losses so maybe this is a sign that the economy is on the up or EA has done some clever thinking by combining these two into one.

Either way today has been a bit of a shock in terms of takeovers what with ZeniMax / Bethesda and id Software and now this. Will it ever end? Will we hear Valve has been bought out by Activision and will finally be pumping out a new Half Life game every year instead of every two? Will L4D3 be announced for early 2010? Will I ever shut up?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @Hamz said:
     Will we here Valve has been bought out by Activision and will finally be pumping out a new Half Life game every year instead of every two?

Umm... call me crazy, but Valve hasn't really made a full Half Life game since 2004.  The last episode was in 2007.  Halo 3 came out the same time.  Now a full sequel is already announced and about a year away. Half Life's next 5 hour episode hasn't even been announced.
    You know, a half life episode is actually very well suited to be yearly.  I don't see why they couldn't.  In fact, considering the fact that they're just reusing assets from 2004 still for the most part and its more or less the same exact gameplay, they should be able to make it in less than that.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Luke

You guys should really look into merging Forum Posts that came before, into the new Article Posts... so we don't have to repeat ourselves to make a comment :p 

http://www.giantbomb.com/bioware/65-98/ea-merging-bioware-and-mythic-studios/35-249652/ 

@Luke said:

" This feels like a gewd move to me!  This is probably for them to all team-up and make Star Wars: The Old Republic the only chance of being a WoW Killer.  Seeing Paul Barnett in interviews, along-side the Bioware Doctors, will just be full of win. "

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Milkman

So, I guess this means:

Warhammer Boning Party MMO for the Wii. Coming this fall.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By GreggD
    @Vorbis said:
    " Paul could sell me a chocolate toaster and I'd buy it without a seconds thought. "
    See, because when it's done toasting, it'll be melted and ready to go on whatever you just toasted! GENIUS!
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By MeatSim

Well it seems like they will be in good hands under Bioware.

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By otzlowe

I'm surprised to hear that Mark Jacobs may have gotten the boot. That seems kind of abrupt.

Either way, I'm kind of interested in seeing Mythic working with Bioware. I think that it'll probably a mutually beneficial move.

I'm pretty sure that Paul Barnett is a cleverly disguised prophet of the game gods. The man is a magician. A fucking magician.
    GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GalacticPunt

As long as Paul Barnett is still getting paid, all is well.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FlipperDesert

Paul Barnett rules, the more of him the better.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox

Could id be forming its own Black Isle style RPG megahouse? The genre is officially coming back.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By masternater27

As somebody who has dug pretty much every bioware game ever, or at least every one that I've played, and used to play a bit of DAoC back in the day, I'm going to be optimistic.  Especially because The Old Republic is going to be the next MMO I get since DAoC

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By demonbear

It's not a surprise really. John Riccitello is an ex-bioware so the bioware Doctors are quite plugged with high EA authorities. Plus they know how to deal with rpgs. This is good news all around i think.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By RHCPfan24

Paul! He is the best! As long as he is getting what he deserves (and more?) I am content. Oh, and get him on the Bombcast again. Please!

tr1b3ta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tr1b3ta

Paul Barnett is fucking awesome

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By JJOR64

I read about that.  Sounds like a good idea.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By jakob187

Quite a surprise indeed.  I wonder how much this will help both Warhammer Online as well as The Old Republic.

Actually, this makes me want to REALLY play The Old Republic, whereas I had little to no interest before.  The idea that an incredible MMO company like Mythic is being headed up by the Doctors now pretty much tells me "epic RPG company of doom to try and kill Blizzard".
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zereta
    @jakob187 said:
    " Quite a surprise indeed.  I wonder how much this will help both Warhammer Online as well as The Old Republic.

Actually, this makes me want to REALLY play The Old Republic, whereas I had little to no interest before.  The idea that an incredible MMO company like Mythic is being headed up by the Doctors now pretty much tells me "epic RPG company of doom to try and kill Blizzard".
    "
    I doubt this would do anything for Warhammer Online. But, this just strengthened The Old Republic. In fact, with this new mega company, I can see some of Bioware's other franchises becoming MMOs down the line.

What matters now is that with this combination, Bioware now has the support of a full MMO Developer. And with Bioware making their first MMO, this can only mean big things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.