Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mythos

Game » consists of 1 releases.

A free MMORPG once in development at Flagship Studios Seattle, headed by Fate creator Travis Baldree. Following the closing of Flagship, the project was taken over by Korean publisher Hanbitsoft, but in 2013 it was announced that the game's Korean servers would go offline.

Mythos is back, and glorious!

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By project343
    The Story Behind the Game

We all know Torchlight, but do you know the story of Torchlight? It's rather dramatic and highly entertaining. I'll keep it brief, I promise.

Flagship Studios logo
    Flagship Studios logo

A little studio called Flagship Studios was formed under the overwatch of several key Blizzard figures--specifically, the individuals responsible for conceiving Blizzard's Diablo-birthchild. Their first release was a little game called Hellgate: London. Remember that? It was goddamn awful, so don't try too hard. It was a big budget post-apocalyptic science fiction shooter heavily routed in Diablo mechanics. We're talking Borderlands, well, before Borderlands. It earned nothing but 'fair' reviews that lead to utter disappointment after steamrolling with hype and a massive fanbase. 

In the background, a portion of the team was working on a little game called Mythos. It was essentially their idea of 'testing network technology' while (as my assumption) scratching that Diablo-development itch. It was going to be a Diablo-styled free-to-play MMORPG with randomized dungeons, hub cities, heavily instanced environments, and all running off a cash shop. At the time, it was incredibly exciting. Development made it into a fairly large closed beta. Critics and journalists were ecstatic about this game (and so was I).

But then Flagship Studios, due to the massive failure of Hellgate: London's release, closed down. It was a 'very' sad day for Mythos. But the team apparently had few health pots hidden away. Shortly after Flagship Studios' closing, it was announced that a new studio, Runic Games was formed from part of this development team. Runic Games took what they were working on with Mythos after seeing their rabid fanbase of Diablo-hungry minions, and released an eerily-similar Torchlight to help set the studio in solid water. The logic behind their game development was simple: we're going to create Torchlight to support the (re-)development of a Diablo-styled free to play MMORPG while establishing netcode, mechanics, and the like. But you know the rest of this story, as Torchlight 2 will be the foundation to the Torchlight MMO's networking infrastructure.

But this story has a happy ending for Mythos.

The Revival of Mythos

Delicious, open-world Torchlight with other players
     Delicious, open-world Torchlight with other players

What happens when you're a publisher with a recently-closed down studio who had some promising work just about finished? Well, you hand off the rest of the polishing bits to another developer, and release their work several years later. Enter: Hanbitsoft. They've resurrected the game, continuing with the philosophies of Flagship Studios' development. It's a free-to-play, Torchlight/Diablo game (let me restate how eerily similar it is), with loads of customization, skill trees, profession trees, a rich crafting system with item breaking down, allocatable attributes, randomized dungeons, identifying charms, insane bosses with crazy attack patterns and forms, assignable achievements with stats buffs, and all the Diablo dungeon-crawling you could want.

Mythos' achievement system allows you to allocate various achievements as stat-enhancing buffs. The primary allocated achievement acts as a title as well. Achievement incentive, anyone?
     Mythos' achievement system allows you to allocate various achievements as stat-enhancing buffs. The primary allocated achievement acts as a title as well. Achievement incentive, anyone?

So what's the catch to all of this? Well, there are item shops. With real earth monies, you can buy the ability to respec your character's skill trees, buy additional health potions, and buy stuff like additional inventory space. It's all non-intrusive, and there are no ads. You have the ability to respec in the game without earth money, health potions are obviously available for vendor purchase, and the inventory isn't much of a problem as you can break down any item into it's core crafting materials on the fly (which are stored in a separate crafting inventory).

So, if all this sounds like it's worth your time, I'd highly recommend it. Just stop on by the Mythos Europe website and sign up (don't worry, you don't have to live in Europe). The installer isn't particularly large, roughly around 3gigs.

If enough of you Giantbombers start playing this game, I vote a Giantbomb Mythos guild. Ya?

The game features 4 races (Human, Gremlin, Satyr, and Cyclops) as well as 3 non-traditional classes (Pyromancer, Bloodletter, and Gadgeteer)
     The game features 4 races (Human, Gremlin, Satyr, and Cyclops) as well as 3 non-traditional classes (Pyromancer, Bloodletter, and Gadgeteer)
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I was in the beta for this..  Free to play or not, I couldn't recommend it less.  It's the absolute epitome of bad MMO gameplay, it's very grindy, tedious and not any fun to play in the slightest.  The combat is alright but there are far better games out there you could be playing.

The style is also a really bad looking mix of Torchlight and WoW, it's a very generic and contrived fantasy setting with no originality or soul what so ever.

Horrible, horrible game.  Stay well away.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343
    @WinterSnowblind: Aside from a slight variation on Torchlight's art style, I don't actually see how this game is any different than Torchlight. The only difference is that there is are large, open hub worlds where you see players and there are several smaller dungeons rather than one. So with this, I'd argue that Torchlight is far more grindy than Mythos--as there is one single dungeons that slowly grind your way to the bottom of.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @project343: added to the 2011 releases thread. thanks!
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By NickL

I remember being so excited about this game but not getting into the beta, maybe now i can finally try it!

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NickL
    @WinterSnowblind: FTP MMOs have a pretty wild swing, I find that either you love it or absolutely hate it, so one man's opinion should never be considered when it comes to these types of games, just try it yourself! Its free anyways, what have you got to lose?
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I tried the beta but I was hit with a bug where I couldn't move, or I could move for a few moments and then I would stop moving and be stuck in place again. And it wasn't a game-freezing thing, either, as everything was still going on around me.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By zityz

Just thought I'd like to point out. Hellgate: London was far from " God damn aweful". It was just riddled with some bugs because it was a handful of guys trying to do EVERYTHING on their own (engine, physics) which they all did from some dudes house. Yes it wasn't the best, but it was damn fun. The problem with the game was its structure. It was semi doomed from the start due to their play model and how everything was implemented. If they had about 3 more months instead of having to release it on oct 31st. I think things would have been fine.

Since HanibiSoft took over the game, fixed all the bugs and tweeks and also added an expansion ( Hellgate: Tokyo) seams like the game is doing really well. It is still a fun loot lust type game.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I remember hearing that this game was amazing. Had no idea it was back, gonna give it a try.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I was in the beta for this..  Free to play or not, I couldn't recommend it less.  It's the absolute epitome of bad MMO gameplay, it's very grindy, tedious and not any fun to play in the slightest.  The combat is alright but there are far better games out there you could be playing.
    The style is also a really bad looking mix of Torchlight and WoW, it's a very generic and contrived fantasy setting with no originality or soul what so ever.

Horrible, horrible game.  Stay well away.
    "
    I agree with this. I thought it was awful.
    myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By myke_tuna

I've recently started playing it. I think it's pretty good for what it is. It's a Diablo-esque MMO. I find it fun just because I play with my buddies and my younger brother and we just talk on skype.

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Althox

I was in the very first beta a few years ago (When the Flagship guys made it), and I got to say, they've improved it some! Though I miss the old starting locations. :P But hey! It's live again, and I couldn't be more happy about it. If any guild would arise from the depths of a dungeon or whatever, send me a message! (If it works... Playing on English server, and also European)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn

I remember reading about Mythos like 3 years ago in Games For Windows magazine, alongside like 10 pages of Hellgate London coverage, I wondered where it went.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    I remember hearing that this game was amazing. Had no idea it was back, gonna give it a try.
    I gave it a try.

Good Lord, it was shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.