Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Napoleon: Total War

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

Napoleon: Total War follows Napoleon from the early Italian campaign, to the Battle of Waterloo, and beyond.

Darksiders vs. Napoleon, Round One... FIGHT

Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By Ultimadark
    Darksiders arrived in my mailbox this week, I was pretty busy in the beginning of the week so I didn't really play much at first. I had been playing a good bit of Empire: Total War the previous week, so I got pretty excited about Napoleon: Total War and pre-purchased it on Steam. When I finally had time to play games, Napoleon was ready on my hard drive, so I had to choose which game I would give my precious time first. I decided to try them both a little first, and then choose depending on which I felt more compelled to start with. 

Already at the menus it's clear that Napoleon is built upon Empire: Total War, the UI looks a lot like it and it's set in roughly the same time period. It is a stand alone game, but even though it is, it feels a lot more like an expansion with a more directed approach than it's predecessors, akin to the Road to Independence campaign found in Empire. I have yet to try the other campaign yet (campaign of the coalition, in which you fight against Napoleon instead of as him), but I feel a bit disappointed in the game so far. It seems to lack the scope of Empire, and only being able to choose from 4 different countries (except France) is kind of a bummer.  

You better bring some bigger guns next time, Napoleon!

Darksiders, on the other hand, has me in it's claws. It might take a lot of mechanics from other titles, notably Zelda, but it does it well and in a new world with satisfying combat. The voice actor for War is certainly not my favorite, but that doesn't really bother me. The game also looks amazing and has a great art style. I guess I don't have to spell out the Darksiders is the game that I'm currently playing, and will keep doing so until I finish it. It's been great so far, and nothing about it has me doubting that it will continue to be great. 

On the topic of Steam, the new UI-beta really needs some fixing. Why is everything so large? It's hard to get an overview of the store as it is now. And Valve, bring back the compact mode!
    Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ultimadark
    Darksiders arrived in my mailbox this week, I was pretty busy in the beginning of the week so I didn't really play much at first. I had been playing a good bit of Empire: Total War the previous week, so I got pretty excited about Napoleon: Total War and pre-purchased it on Steam. When I finally had time to play games, Napoleon was ready on my hard drive, so I had to choose which game I would give my precious time first. I decided to try them both a little first, and then choose depending on which I felt more compelled to start with. 

Already at the menus it's clear that Napoleon is built upon Empire: Total War, the UI looks a lot like it and it's set in roughly the same time period. It is a stand alone game, but even though it is, it feels a lot more like an expansion with a more directed approach than it's predecessors, akin to the Road to Independence campaign found in Empire. I have yet to try the other campaign yet (campaign of the coalition, in which you fight against Napoleon instead of as him), but I feel a bit disappointed in the game so far. It seems to lack the scope of Empire, and only being able to choose from 4 different countries (except France) is kind of a bummer.  

Darksiders, on the other hand, has me in it's claws. It might take a lot of mechanics from other titles, notably Zelda, but it does it well and in a new world with satisfying combat. The voice actor for War is certainly not my favorite, but that doesn't really bother me. The game also looks amazing and has a great art style. I guess I don't have to spell out the Darksiders is the game that I'm currently playing, and will keep doing so until I finish it. It's been great so far, and nothing about it has me doubting that it will continue to be great. 

On the topic of Steam, the new UI-beta really needs some fixing. Why is everything so large? It's hard to get an overview of the store as it is now. And Valve, bring back the compact mode!
    capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By capt_ventris

I was a bit unsure of Napoleon: Total War as well.  For a start to play as the French and as Napoleon just seemed against my nature (blame Monty Python). 
    But the campaigns of Napoleon are quite fun, I'm even getting a soft spot for him.

Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ultimadark
    @Capt_Ventris: Yeah, playing against the French is against my nature as well, I want to play as Sweden which unfortunately isn't a country in the coalition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.