Full game or expansion?

#1 Posted by TheBigBopper (68 posts) -

I was wondering whether this will be an expansion pack to Empire like Alexander was to Rome because this seems so similar to the last game. Any ideas?

#2 Posted by deaux (233 posts) -

It sounds like it'll be stand alone.  Personally, I'd rather just have an expansion.  Coming out less that a year after Empire, I have to expect that it'll be Empire with new units and maps.  That's fine, but asking full retail price might be bit much.

#3 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

If its anything like Kingdoms was to Medieval 2, id expect it to be an expansion. 

Though im sure it'll be a stand alone expansion if it is.

#4 Posted by thwak (104 posts) -
@deaux: From what steam says, it's actually 10 bucks cheaper than empire.

Unless you go with the imperial edition which is throwing in Medieval II as a pre-order bonus and a whole bunch of elite units which will probably be sold separately after the game's released.
#5 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

I know this doesn't really pertain to the game being discussed but i recently bought Medieval II would you recommend playing through the tutorial to learn all the strategies?

#6 Posted by Draken (5 posts) -

Well at first it was announced as a expansion. Now they want to release it as a full game. Irritating is the fact that with the last patch to E:TW 1.5 they broke the Battle AI and announced that they have no more resources to work on that old Title .... The Battle AI was ok in Version 1.3, bah - but we will get lots of DLC i bet ;)

#7 Posted by Phantom_Crash (298 posts) -

It could be a stand-alone expansion but its packed with a good amount of content to be a full stand-alone game.

#8 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -

My guess is standalone, since on the store page in steam it doesn't say anything about needing the steam version of Empire, contrary to the DOW2 expansion.

#9 Posted by Will1Lucky (408 posts) -

It is a Full game, you don't need Empire in order to play this game. It just uses the same engine and is set shortly after the end of Empire.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.