Does this game get better over time?

#1 Edited by Jeust (10537 posts) -

I bought this game today, and, past all the promise shown in the trailers, I'm desilusioned. I've reached Pain in story mode, and I can't shake the feeling that appart from the graphics, the game doesn't hold true to the source material. 

Here is what I've noticed: 

• Barebones story mode, with only a few major fights, and simplified and modified (in relation to the source material) plot.
  • Characters aren't faithful to their manga and anime counterparts [WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THE BODIES OF PAIN???]
A good thing I've noticed is the Third Hokage's voice actor is the narrator. 

So I ask, the people who have played the game extensively, if there are enough goodness in the game, to prevent me from getting a refund. I got really high hopes for the game, but the game doesn't seem to be faithful to the manga and anime, so to me as a fan, there doesn't seem much to hold my attention sadly.
#2 Posted by Mikey2D (218 posts) -

@Jeust said:

I bought this game today, and, past all the promise shown in the trailers, I'm desilusioned. I've reached Pain in story mode, and I can't shake the feeling that appart from the graphics, the game doesn't hold true to the source material.

• Barebones story mode, with only a few major fights, and simplified and modified (in relation to the source material) plot.
  • Characters aren't faithful to their manga and anime counterparts [WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THE BODIES OF PAIN???]
A good thing I've noticed is the Third Hokage's voice actor is the narrator. So I ask, the people who have played the game extensively, if there are enough goodness in the game, to prevent me from getting a refund. I got really high hopes for the game, but the game doesn't seem to be faithful to the manga and anime, so to me as a fan, there doesn't seem much to hold my attention sadly.

I've played a fair amount of Naruto Generations, and personally I really like it. Yes the story mode is a disappointment - overall it is simply a way to unlock all the characters. The story mode in Storm 2 was far superior due to its epic battles with gorgeous looking QTE's and also the ability to explore the villages of the anime / manga.

For the most part I feel all the characters are really well done and represented. You mention Pain - and all his bodies are technically in game. He uses them in his combos and ultimate jutsu moves.

I'd suggest you get into the multiplayer - playing the game online with some friends is a blast. Also you should look into trying the 'survival' mode - it offers a fair bit of challenge in the later stages and helps unlock some of the extra substituion jutsu's and ninja tools which can be used to customise your battles to a certain extent.

I hope you find some aspects to enjoy about the game - overall i think its a fantastic entry into the series.

#3 Posted by Sanj (2364 posts) -

I find the best parts of the story mode to be the "untold" stories and their respective OVAs. Adds an interesting perspective.

But the combat is a lot of fun. They made some smart changes to the battle system from previous games.

#4 Posted by Enigma777 (6069 posts) -

Did they take out the crappy "fetch-quest run around the village" crap from the last two games? Because that would automatically make the SP 100% better.

#5 Posted by Mikey2D (218 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Did they take out the crappy "fetch-quest run around the village" crap from the last two games? Because that would automatically make the SP 100% better.

There is no freeroam mode at all in this game.

#6 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

Probably not.

#7 Posted by Enigma777 (6069 posts) -

@Mikey2D said:

@Enigma777 said:

Great! I'll probably check it out then.

#8 Posted by Mikey2D (218 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@Mikey2D said:

@Enigma777 said:

If you're a fan of Naruto then hopefully you will enjoy it :)

#9 Posted by Enigma777 (6069 posts) -

@Mikey2D said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Mikey2D said:

@Enigma777 said:

I'm not, but with a lack of quality anime games, it will have to do...

#10 Posted by Mikey2D (218 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@Mikey2D said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Mikey2D said:

@Enigma777 said:

I'm not, but with a lack of quality anime games, it will have to do...

It's never too late to get into it - I only started Naruto a year or so ago. Just give it 10 episodes and see if it doesn't appeal after that. Visually the game is so close to the anime that it's fantastic, I don't know how well a non-fan would get on with it though - so maybe best to wait until it's cheaper.

#11 Posted by Humanoid (206 posts) -

Naruto is probably one of the worse anime to get into out of the big three. I'd recommend One Piece and then Bleach, but if you've seen those, I guess Naruto is good for a while. Also in Generations, what happened to the story mode?

#12 Edited by Jeust (10537 posts) -

@Mikey2D said:

@Jeust said:

A good thing I've noticed is the Third Hokage's voice actor is the narrator. So I ask, the people who have played the game extensively, if there are enough goodness in the game, to prevent me from getting a refund. I got really high hopes for the game, but the game doesn't seem to be faithful to the manga and anime, so to me as a fan, there doesn't seem much to hold my attention sadly.

I've played a fair amount of Naruto Generations, and personally I really like it. Yes the story mode is a disappointment - overall it is simply a way to unlock all the characters. The story mode in Storm 2 was far superior due to its epic battles with gorgeous looking QTE's and also the ability to explore the villages of the anime / manga.

For the most part I feel all the characters are really well done and represented. You mention Pain - and all his bodies are technically in game. He uses them in his combos and ultimate jutsu moves.

I'd suggest you get into the multiplayer - playing the game online with some friends is a blast. Also you should look into trying the 'survival' mode - it offers a fair bit of challenge in the later stages and helps unlock some of the extra substituion jutsu's and ninja tools which can be used to customise your battles to a certain extent.

I hope you find some aspects to enjoy about the game - overall i think its a fantastic entry into the series.

Yeah, I've noticed the bodies of Pain are present for the combos and special moves, but probably due to the fluidity of the animation and the amount of characters, some things feel disappointing. Another character that could be better is Sasori, that is without its first puppet, or Itachi without its regular Tsukihomi move, but an invented for the game.

With all the disk and hard drive space and technology available to make a great game, and all the love proclaimed by the developer of the game for the manga, it makes me sad how they don't follow faithfully the manga and anime.

In polish I feel it isn't the best one in the franchise, second to titles like Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3. Although I feel very critical about the game, it is a good Naruto game, and it is the latest.

@Humanoid said:

Naruto is probably one of the worse anime to get into out of the big three. I'd recommend One Piece and then Bleach, but if you've seen those, I guess Naruto is good for a while. Also in Generations, what happened to the story mode?

Story mode is divided between segments that follow various characters, like Naruto and Sasuke, where each one's path is told by still drawings and some anime cutscenes, with the presence of a narrator played by the actor that voices the Third Hokage. Appart from cutting some corners and changing the original story, I feel it works well.

#13 Posted by Mikey2D (218 posts) -

@Humanoid said:

I think all of the 'big three' have had their moments of glory and it all comes down to personal prefence at the end of the day. I rank them with One Piece at the top, Naruto as second and Bleach as my least popular.

@Jeust said:

@Mikey2D said:

@Jeust said:

Yeah, I've noticed the bodies of Pain are present for the combos and special moves, but probably due to the fluidity of the animation and the amount of characters, some things feel disappointing. Another character that could be better is Sasori, that is without its first puppet, or Itachi without its regular Tsukihomi move, but an invented for the game.

With all the disk and hard drive space and technology available to make a great game, and all the love proclaimed by the developer of the game for the manga, it makes me sad how they don't follow faithfully the manga and anime.

In polish I feel it isn't the best one in the franchise, second to titles like Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3. Although I feel very critical about the game, it is a good Naruto game, and it is the latest.

@Humanoid said:

Story mode is divided between segments that follow various characters, like Naruto and Sasuke, where each one's path is told by still drawings and some anime cutscenes, with the presence of a narrator played by the actor that voices the Third Hokage. Appart from cutting some corners and changing the original story, I feel it works well.

The story mode is rather short and like you say cuts a fair few corners. Overall though I really enjoy the game and the advances its made for the series (although some might say small) are very welcome.

Regarding the characters - I think obviously there had to be a cut off - they couldn't have everything for everyone. I mean personally I would LOVE to see Konohamaru as a playable character along with Utakata. Maybe the game will get DLC characters after a while.

#14 Posted by Shadow (4978 posts) -

I love it, but then again, I was really into Ninja Storm 2 online. My only problem with it was that people with turbo controllers had a massive advantage, so I fell off pretty fast. That problem got fixed this time around, and I can finally have some fun online against anyone.

#15 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@Jeust said:

Nope. What you see is what you get, and unfortunately CC2 never fixed the blockstun issue, so even multiplayer gets pretty stupid over time.

Pretty much just a big misstep.

#16 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@Jeust said:

Nope. What you see is what you get, and unfortunately CC2 never fixed the blockstun issue, so even multiplayer gets pretty stupid over time.

Pretty much just a big misstep.

Pretty much! all and all i don't think the game warrants $60. It gets boring pretty quickly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.