Nation Red is a PC game available on the online download service Steam as well as Direct2Drive. The game is an arcade-style shooter that is played from a top-down perspective as the player fights hordes of zombies. There are a variety of game modes including free play (available in single player and co-op) which allows players to fight an never-ending horde of zombies while levelling up and picking up power-ups, survival (available in single player and co-op) pits players against the clock with no perks or power-ups, barricade (available in single player and co-op) which is the same as free play, except the zombies come in waves rather than as part of a constant spawn, and a series of 18 campaign missions (single player only) that are each available on 5 difficulty settings. Nation Red supports multiplayer on a local connection as well as online.
Throughout these various modes the player is awarded with experience points for killing enemies and upon levelling is given perks that can make them move faster, take more damage, or deal out more damage, etc. There is also a variety of pickups and power ups that are dropped randomly when an enemy is killed. Weapon pick ups include pistols, machine guns, sub-machine guns, shotguns, assault rifles, melee weapons, and flame throwers.
Nation Red has seen several large, free updates. They have added such things as: additional weaponry, maps, game modes, balance fixes, and most significantly, the ability to have up to 4 players in a multiplayer game.
Mission mode presents you with a series of 18 missions, each requiring different tactics to complete. After you complete each mission, the next in the series is ‘unlocked’ and can then be played. The levels are:
- The Breakdown Crew
- Ringer Attack
- Point Defence
- Killing Blow
- Let Them Come
- Bite Down
- Killing Field
- Waste Pit
- Butchers Hook
- Road Kill
- The Reckoning
The player is given a single weapon and there are no power-ups nor perks to collect. The objective is just to survive as long as possible and your final score is based solely on that period of time you managed to stay alive for. This is the game's hardest mode.
While similar to the Survival Mode, in Free-Play you can collect power-ups, gain experience and select perks upon levelling up. The goal is to gain the maximum experience points and your final score reflects just that.
Free-Play Practice Mode
Allows you to fine-tune Free Play. Set Zombie AI, speed, strength, the weapon to use, the damage done to you, and the total number of zombies to kill. Your scores in this mode are not saved since you can create limitless levels of difficulty. Use this mode for practice only.
Free-Play Barricade Mode
Defend against endless waves of zombie attack. Each wave increases the number of hostiles and likelihood for bosses to be spawned. Use barricades, sentry guns and NPC soldiers to help you preventing zombies from reaching the base entrance or overrun/destroy your position.
Note: s entry guns can be manually reloaded and upgraded to weapon stations by standing next to them!
Perks are persistent modifications to your character and will last throughout the whole level until you die, but do not carry over playthroughs. Perks are unlocked by amassing experience points and levelling up; whenever you do so, you get to choose a new perk from a list that is presented to you. Should you decide not to select any given perk by pressing "cancel" you will instead receive an "unselected perk bonus" at the end of the game, which is added to your final score.
Instead of a random list of perks/perks given when you level up, Strategic Mode allows you to select the exact perk you want, however there is a maximum limit of twenty five perks per game.
Random Perk Mode
The default mode. A random list of seven perks is given when you level up.
Auto Perk Mode
Auto Perk Mode allows you to select your favourite list of perks which can be edited at any time between games. When you level up, the game will randomly, but intelligently assign new perks to you from the perk list. This mode is only available to players once they've completed all the levels in the mission mode.
List of Perks
- Aftershock -- Releases an overwhelming sonic shock, pushing back your enemies.
- Armour -- Upgrade your armour for 25% less damage from enemy attacks.
- Heavy Armour -- Upgrades armour to 35% less damage (requires Armour).
- Saw Blades -- Cut your enemies down to size with a boomerang-like set of blades.
- Anarchist -- Receive a free grenade every 30 seconds.
- Come Closer -- Reduces the Turbine's field by 50% but it will now deal heavy damage.
- More Pain, More Gain -- When health is below 50%, get 25% more XP but receive 25% more damage.
- Replenish -- Get an instant 100% health boost once. Use only when needed!
- Messy -- You cause 10% more damage as you pick up 10% more experience.
- FireStarter -- Nearby enemies will catch fire and slowly perish.
- Stronghold -- Reduces the push from enemies when they damage you.
- Reflex Boost -- Gain much needed extra movement speed.
- Heavy Ammo -- Get 25% more ammo for all projectile weapons.
- Venom -- Releases six poisonous darts which quickly kill anyone hit by them.
- Power-Up Extender -- Extends the time a power-up lasts for 25%.
- Seeker -- Releases automatic seek-and-destroy orbs.
- Heavy Seekers -- Doubles the number of seekers (requires Seekers).
- Power-Up Hook -- Pulls any power-up towards you for easy access.
- Snare -- Acquires any power-up within 5 meters (requires Power-Up Hook).
- Auto Experience -- Slowly, but automatically earn experience points every second you stay alive.
- Luck -- Increases the chance a dead enemy will drop a power-up.
- Shrapnel -- Grenade and dynamite explosions cause even more destruction.
- Intensity -- Projectile-based weapons will fire at an even faster rate.
- Fuse Bolt -- Releases an underground fused explosion towards the cursor.
- Accuracy -- Improves your targeting, increases enemy hit box.
- Laser Guided -- Increases projectile range, damage, hit box by 10% (requires Accuracy).
- Improved Loadout -- You can move at speed regardless of weight of the weapon you carry.
- Remote Detonator -- Set off grenades anywhere on screen at your target (cursor position).
- Hand of God -- Strikes two death rays to your nearest enemies.
- Heavy Iron -- 50% more damage from any of your melee weapons.
- Last Breath -- Before you die, time slows down for you to make it out alive.
- Pneumatic Destroyer -- Combines with the thumper pickup to explode it at the end of its duration.
- Wrath of God -- Doubles the effect of Hand of God.
- Headlock -- Upgrades the Venom darts to auto-seeking.
- Payload -- Upgrades the Venom darts with explosive warheads.
- Meat Grinder -- Inverts the Turbine evaporating anything it touches (requires Come Closer).
- Mirror Image -- Creates two ghosts with the ghost power-up.
- Wild Bunch -- Creates four ghosts with the ghost power-up.
- Fire Team -- Equips ghosts with automatic shotguns.
- Mano a Mano -- 10% more damage from zombies but 30% less damage from bosses.
- TrailBlazer -- You can now push away nearby zombies during a dive roll jump.
- Less Clumsy -- Increases your walking backwards speed.
- Midair Trigger -- Allows you to detonate a M79 grenade by a second trigger pull.
- Friendly Fire -- Explosions caused by zombies will hurt or kill themselves as well.
- Triage -- Get faster healing under 50% health and slower above.
- Vengeance -- Explodes a daisy cutter bomb when you die for maximum extra score.
- Quick Fingers -- Increases weapon reload speed by 15%.
- Dexterity -- Upgrades weapon reload speed to 30%.
- Apocalypse -- Doubles the effect of Wrath of God.
- Boss Power -- Boss zombies drop two power-ups when killed.
- Propane Nightmare -- Gas canister explosions set fire to zombies outside lethal range.
- Proficiency -- Reduces cool down time of Hand of God (Wrath of God, Apocalypse), Saw Blades, Venom (Headlock, Payload), Aftershock, Fuse Bolt and Seekers by 10% (Requires experience level 10 or above).
- Expertise -- Reduces cool down time of Hand of God (Wrath of God, Apocalypse), Saw Blades, Venom (Headlock, Payload), Aftershock, Fuse Bolt and Seekers by 20% (Requires experience level 20 or above).
- Mastery -- Reduces cool down time of Hand of God (Wrath of God, Apocalypse), Saw Blades, Venom (Headlock, Payload), Aftershock, Fuse Bolt and Seekers by 40% (Requires experience level 30 or above).
- Engineer -- Sentry guns operate 30% longer.
- Molotov -- Turns grenades into incendiary grenades (requires Remote Detonator).
- Lone Wolf -- No Ghost-Pickups, Hand of God, Seekers, Saw Blades, Venom or Sentry Guns but gain 25% speed and 25% faster jump-regeneration.
- Man of the Moment -- Get Bullet Time whenever you kill any boss.
- Rage Unlimited -- No weapon reload required during Rage.
- Bomb Fanatic -- Grenade bosses will always drop a crate of grenades on death.
- Hoarder -- For each grenade you carry, lose 1% in speed but gain 1% in armour.
- Bomb Threat -- All explosions, including enemy detonations, are 25% more powerful.
- Living the Moment --: During Bullet Time, get 25% faster reload speed and 25% more XP.
- Apparition -- Doubles the chance of a ghost power-up appearing.
- Strike Team -- Combines with the ghost pickup to equip them with AA-12 shotguns.
- Heavy Sentries -- Increases damage done by sentry guns and NPC soldiers by 25%.
- Mercenary -- Extends the combo streak by 50% for increased XP.
- Spark -- Transmits fire from one adjacent zombie to another.
- Turret Defence -- Increases the chance of Sentry Gun power-up drops.
Power-ups are dropped by zombies upon their death and can be collected by walking over them; they only last for a short time.
- Grenades -- Holds 3 fragmentation grenades
- Dynamite -- 5-pound time-delayed bomb. Kills or damages most enemies on screen
- Shield -- Body armor which protects you from damage for a short period
- Speed -- Allows you to move faster than usual and outrun your enemies
- Bullet Time -- You can react in real-time while everything else is running in slow-motion
- Health -- Boosts your health by 25%
- Double Experience -- Doubles your killing experience for a short period
- Mine Layer -- Create yourself a nice minefield for your enemies
- Sentry Gun -- A fully automatic tracking gun firing machine gun rounds
- Ghost -- Summons a copy of yourself which will fight enemies on its own
- Gas Canister -- Explodes into a lethal fireball when fired at
- Blaze -- Sets fire to any enemy within a 10-metre radius
- Bouncing Betty -- Anti-personnel bouncing mine. Kills anything within a 5-metre radius
- Turbine -- Creates a force field pushing away any nearby enemies
- Rammer -- Attracts nearby enemies; take them out while they are distracted
- Rage -- One hit kills any of the regular zombies
- No Reload -- No weapon reloads needed
- Flashout -- Stuns all zombies on screen
- Incendiary -- Sets fire to any zombie hit by weapon fire
- OS: Windows® XP, Vista™, and Windows 7
- Processor: Intel / AMD 2.0 GHz or higher CPU
- Memory: 256MB RAM
- Graphics: NVidia or ATI-based graphics card with shader model 2.0 support
- DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 600MB of uncompressed Hard Drive Space
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
- OS: Windows® XP SP2, Vista™ SP1, and Windows 7
- Processor: Processor: Intel Core2 Duo / Core2 Quad, i7 or AMD Phenom CPU
- Memory: 1GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA 8800GT / ATI 3850 512MB or better with latest manufacturer drivers
- DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 800MB of uncompressed Hard Drive Space
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card