Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA 2K11

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

2K's long-running basketball simulator is back for another season with Michael Jordan as their cover athlete.

My Player: The Story of William Higgs

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Edited By yevinorion

After playing tons and tons of NBA 2K11 on Association mode (Go Bulls!) I decided to finally man up and go for the big leagues: My Player mode. Being brand new to the franchise, I initially scared myself away from this since i was terrible at the game and had to start out with such a crappy overall player. After a couple months of getting used to the game though, I feel I'm in a better place to actually give this a shot and William Higgs was created. 

So, first things first, I went with an athletic shooting guard (in the mold of say a Dwyane Wade). The name is my middle and last names respectively, no other significance. My starting skills were, to be kind, pretty awful as a 39 overall. However I decided that my best bet would to be the Dribble Course drill so I could try to build up my speed since it's the most expensive stat to buy. 

Seven drills in and it was NBA Combine time. My shooting was still pretty poor, but I was a bullet up and down the court with a speed rating of 84. Made it a little easier to get things going on the fast break and to drive the lane. Still, I had to learn the hard way that the only shots I had any business taking were ones that were WIDE OPEN. Have to say, this was still pretty tough on Pro difficulty (I'm nowhere near ready for anything higher). Overall I had an ok Combine, nothing special. It was good enough to get me picked up in the Draft, although I missed the first round. Got picked up by the Miami Heat as the 2nd pick of the 2nd round, so I guess it could have been worse. 

The draft was just the beginning though. Getting picked by the Heat, I joined their Summer Circuit roster as a starter. This went much, much better for me than the combine and the extra drills allowed me to get my shooting skills to a more acceptable level throughout the summer. Working through the four game stretch was grueling, but ultimately rewarding as the Heat saw enough potential in me they not only placed me on their roster, but as 7th in the rotation. That's just two places away from the starting lineup. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with that, especially having come as a second round draft pick.

My first game in the NBA was a bittersweet affair. I did fairly well with the limited minutes I was given (12 mins), but managed to injure myself somehow towards the end of the game. This unfortunately resulted in my missing the next 7 games. Once I was recovered though it was back to business as usual. Management clearly must see something in me because they pushed me right back into the rotation and every game that goes by my minutes are increasing. At about 5 or 6 games played I'm up to 22 minutes per game. Which is great because being drafted by the Heat, I figured I had little to no chance to become a starter over their premiere SG, Dwyane Wade himself. However, it seems in my current team they have Wade at point and Mike Miller at the 2. This definitely leaves me room to grow and improve and have a stab later on at the starting lineup. Not bad for a second round pick, people are starting to take notice. 

One of the more important people to take notice would be one Mr. Michael Jordan who decided that I was the rookie he wanted to become an ambassador for his brand. Nothing else really has come of this yet, but you have to start somewhere right? Here's to hoping for a shoe deal in the near future. There are still lots of games ahead of me in the season and with each game my skills will improve. It's a long road though. Starting out as a 39 overall wasn't easy and even being a 50 overall now is still tough, but it's getting better. By the time I hit the All-Star break I'm hoping to be in the running for Rookie of the Year, but I have to work on my fundamentals a bit more before I make any grandiose claims. We'll see what the next month on the calendar brings and as long as I can stay healthy I'll stay on the rise.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By yevinorion

After playing tons and tons of NBA 2K11 on Association mode (Go Bulls!) I decided to finally man up and go for the big leagues: My Player mode. Being brand new to the franchise, I initially scared myself away from this since i was terrible at the game and had to start out with such a crappy overall player. After a couple months of getting used to the game though, I feel I'm in a better place to actually give this a shot and William Higgs was created. 

So, first things first, I went with an athletic shooting guard (in the mold of say a Dwyane Wade). The name is my middle and last names respectively, no other significance. My starting skills were, to be kind, pretty awful as a 39 overall. However I decided that my best bet would to be the Dribble Course drill so I could try to build up my speed since it's the most expensive stat to buy. 

Seven drills in and it was NBA Combine time. My shooting was still pretty poor, but I was a bullet up and down the court with a speed rating of 84. Made it a little easier to get things going on the fast break and to drive the lane. Still, I had to learn the hard way that the only shots I had any business taking were ones that were WIDE OPEN. Have to say, this was still pretty tough on Pro difficulty (I'm nowhere near ready for anything higher). Overall I had an ok Combine, nothing special. It was good enough to get me picked up in the Draft, although I missed the first round. Got picked up by the Miami Heat as the 2nd pick of the 2nd round, so I guess it could have been worse. 

The draft was just the beginning though. Getting picked by the Heat, I joined their Summer Circuit roster as a starter. This went much, much better for me than the combine and the extra drills allowed me to get my shooting skills to a more acceptable level throughout the summer. Working through the four game stretch was grueling, but ultimately rewarding as the Heat saw enough potential in me they not only placed me on their roster, but as 7th in the rotation. That's just two places away from the starting lineup. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with that, especially having come as a second round draft pick.

My first game in the NBA was a bittersweet affair. I did fairly well with the limited minutes I was given (12 mins), but managed to injure myself somehow towards the end of the game. This unfortunately resulted in my missing the next 7 games. Once I was recovered though it was back to business as usual. Management clearly must see something in me because they pushed me right back into the rotation and every game that goes by my minutes are increasing. At about 5 or 6 games played I'm up to 22 minutes per game. Which is great because being drafted by the Heat, I figured I had little to no chance to become a starter over their premiere SG, Dwyane Wade himself. However, it seems in my current team they have Wade at point and Mike Miller at the 2. This definitely leaves me room to grow and improve and have a stab later on at the starting lineup. Not bad for a second round pick, people are starting to take notice. 

One of the more important people to take notice would be one Mr. Michael Jordan who decided that I was the rookie he wanted to become an ambassador for his brand. Nothing else really has come of this yet, but you have to start somewhere right? Here's to hoping for a shoe deal in the near future. There are still lots of games ahead of me in the season and with each game my skills will improve. It's a long road though. Starting out as a 39 overall wasn't easy and even being a 50 overall now is still tough, but it's getting better. By the time I hit the All-Star break I'm hoping to be in the running for Rookie of the Year, but I have to work on my fundamentals a bit more before I make any grandiose claims. We'll see what the next month on the calendar brings and as long as I can stay healthy I'll stay on the rise.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Nice. I hope you went into the options menu and have adjusted the simulation time to match the regular game time. Otherwise your competition has a huge leg up in the stats department. I'm nearly finished with my first season and I'm in the lead in both MVP and Rookie of the Year races. I was drafted to the Spurs as a shooting guard and have taken the starting job from Ginobili. I get the most minutes of anyone on the team, including TD. :P

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By raiz265
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Nice. I hope you went into the options menu and have adjusted the simulation time to match the regular game time. Otherwise your competition has a huge leg up in the stats department. "
    Seriously? 

Wow... FML.
    yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By yevinorion

Yeah I bumped down the sim time a bit, learned that with Association mode too. Trying to get them to match up as close as possible as far as scores and stats. Right now I'm playing on 12 min quarters though personally, as I need as much time as possible to try and raise that Teammate grade. :P  Think I have sim time down to like 8 mins.

Sounds like you're killing it man, MVP and RotY? Wow! Yeah one beautiful thing about being on Miami is that they're doing well in the East right now. I'll probably get to play in the playoffs in my rookie year, which is great. Hopefully by the end of the season I'll be good enough to help them get a ring. Ultimately though, I'd love to get a trade to my fave team, Chicago Bulls and try to take them to another three-peat. Figure I might as well hold out in Miami for the time being to develop my game and get some experience playing with the big dogs. 

You sound like you're already on your way to the playoffs. Best of luck with that man, keep us posted on what happens. It's a shame there's so few 2K11 players here. I feel like the My Player mode alone is enough to have a thread going of people telling the stories of their careers.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @raiz265 said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " Nice. I hope you went into the options menu and have adjusted the simulation time to match the regular game time. Otherwise your competition has a huge leg up in the stats department. "
    Seriously?  Wow... FML. "
    Yeah. I have no idea what the 2K guys were thinking by setting game times differently. When you're playing 5 minute games and your competition are playing 12 minute games, it's completely unfair. 

@yevinorion: Just so you know, I've heard that higher minutes actually decrease the amount of team grade you gain for doing something good. So playing 5 minute quarters, you'd see a huge bump when hitting an open shot, but playing 12 minute, you probably see a fraction of that amount for hitting the same shot. This is just to balance the game and not allow people to get A+ every single game just by playing longer. That's what I've read at least. 

Yeah my guy is averaging 19 PPG, 6 RPG, and 2 APG in 6 minute quarters. I've actually been scoring in the 30s the past few games though and my average is just playing catch-up. My Spurs are tied for the #1 spot in the west with the Fakers. We're on an 8 (maybe 9) game winning streak right now though, so we should pass them up before the playoffs. I hope we win it all this year, but I still might demand a trade. I hate how Duncan dominates the offense when I'm clearly am amazing scorer. xD I'd like to go to the Blazers, but I'm not sure how to make that happen. Maybe just demand a trade when it shows that they're interested in me.
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By beej
    @yevinorion: I find it hilarious and incredible that part of the my player mode is about getting endorsements and shit. I love it! Seriously though your story has intrigued me and I might try the game out now.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @beej said:
    " @yevinorion: I find it hilarious and incredible that part of the my player mode is about getting endorsements and shit. I love it! Seriously though your story has intrigued me and I might try the game out now. "
    You SHOULD try the game! It's pretty great, and the My Player mode is just one part of it. 

You also give interviews after a lot of games. The reporters will mention when you hit a new career high, when your team's on a winning streak, when you've made player of the month, etc. You can choose to answer with arrogance which is the most fun since you just talk a bunch of shit.  :P  You can also answer with professionalism, Loyalty, or indifference. It's kind of hard to judge exactly what your player will say sometimes, but that just makes it more fun.
    D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By D0tti

Man reading this makes me wanna buy this game, I had last years NBA2k and loved it.. But I don't know, think it is cause it's been pretty expensive(70€), but I think I saw it on play.com(uk) for about 18€ or something so i'm totally getting this the next days.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By yevinorion
    @JJWeatherman said:
    "I'd like to go to the Blazers, but I'm not sure how to make that happen. Maybe just demand a trade when it shows that they're interested in me. "
    I've heard that this is the best way to get a trade to the team you want. I guess it's never truly in your hands though! 

Really I hadn't heard that about the minutes, intriguing. I kept reading the best way was to do 12 min quarters, to give yourself enough time to get some good stats and a good teammate grade. I'll have to test this one out. Yeah, I forgot about the press conferences too. Those are hilarious. Some guy asked me about practicing and I went all Allen Iverson on him, "Practice? I come out here to play these big games and you wanna talk about practice?!" Good fun heheh. I've heard if you lose too much team chemistry from this your team will even freeze you out on the offense, or if you let your local fan support drop too much they'll start chanting things like "Trade him! Trade him!". Definitely helps bring all of this to life a bit more.

@beej: You should try it out, it's a lot of fun. There's a certain learning curve to the controls, but having played the My Player a bit I feel it's probably the best way to learn the game as it actually tells you when you did something good or something bad. Overall though, it's a blast. Bit of a slow start with the combine and everything, but feels good when you see your name called in the draft. Now I just need to get called out in the starting lineup!
    BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BackseatBoss
    @JJWeatherman said: 
     You also give interviews after a lot of games. The reporters will mention when you hit a new career high, when your team's on a winning streak, when you've made player of the month, etc. You can choose to answer with arrogance which is the most fun since you just talk a bunch of shit.  :P  You can also answer with professionalism, Loyalty, or indifference. It's kind of hard to judge exactly what your player will say sometimes, but that just makes it more fun. "

But you've got to agree that there are maybe too much of those interviews.I especially hate the fact,that when you're just starting your career,you instantly start to give interviews after almost every game.Also after you play some of the My Player mode,those interviews get repetiteve and really boring.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @hustlerlt said:
    " @JJWeatherman said: 
     You also give interviews after a lot of games. The reporters will mention when you hit a new career high, when your team's on a winning streak, when you've made player of the month, etc. You can choose to answer with arrogance which is the most fun since you just talk a bunch of shit.  :P  You can also answer with professionalism, Loyalty, or indifference. It's kind of hard to judge exactly what your player will say sometimes, but that just makes it more fun. "
     But you've got to agree that there are maybe too much of those interviews.I especially hate the fact,that when you're just starting your career,you instantly start to give interviews after almost every game.Also after you play some of the My Player mode,those interviews get repetiteve and really boring. "
    I dunno. I'm only nearly through my first season, but so far I'm not bored with them. Besides, it's not like it's only for fun. It affects your popularity within the team, the league, or the fan base depending on how you answer, so it always seems like a worthwhile experience. 

It is a bit weird when you're playing just a few minutes and you're in the center of the interview table, but once you start to make a name for yourself, it seems normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.