This new entry in the successful NBA2k franchise is Executive Produced by none other than Jay-Z. The idea behind it is to have Jay-Z have some involvement in the game and to pick the soundtrack.
The well-received Career mode returns in NBA 2K13. Players start their career competing in the Rookie Showcase, in which the rookies up for the 2012 NBA Draft compete in a game for NBA Scouts. Upon completion, players are interviewed by three interested teams based on their performance, with each team asking two questions. After being drafted, players begin their rookie year with the hope to eventually become a starter and become a future Hall of Fame athlete.
A player's success is measured in various ways, including Team Chemistry and Fans. The Team Chemistry percentage measures the quality of a player's teamwork. Players will have a bigger part in the offense and more playing time if they keep their Team Chemistry high. Players will gain and lose fans depending on how well they are performing in games. The number of fans a player has plays a role when the player goes to negotiate contracts at the end of a season.
After each game, players participate in a post-game press conference where they are asked one question by a reporter regarding the team's performance and/or their performance in a game. Their response to these questions will affect Team Chemistry, Fan Support and Local Fan Support. Additionally, the game's commentators will occasionally remark on the answer the player gave the night before.
While NBA 2K11 and 2K12 featured past legends, 2K13 places rising young stars on the cover. From left to right, the cover shows Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers, Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls.
Dream Team vs Team USA
The Dream Team from the 1992 Barcelona Summer Olympics makes its debut on the 2K franchise. The roster is completely accurate including Charles Barkley who also makes his 2K debut.
Team USA from the 2012 London Summer Olympics is also playable. Featuring the full roster.
There are thirty-five classic teams available playable in the "Quick Play" mode. Most of the roster is accurate with some very notable exclusions such as: Kareem Adbul Jabbar, Julius Erving, and Chris Webber. New to this year is the 00-01 Philadelphia 76ers.
Gatorade Biometric Scan (Wii U only)
The Wii U version has some gamepad specific features. One feature is a Biometric Scan that allows users to hold the gamepad up and see which players are tired and fatigued. It can also be used to see which players have a hot or cold shooting streak, as well as their shot charts.
Jay-Z personally hand-selected the licenesed soundtrack for NBA 2K13.
- The Hours - "Ali in the Jungle"
- Too Short - "Blow The Whistle (Main)"
- Eric B. and Rakim - "I Ain't No Joke"
- Phoenix - "1901"
- Jay-Z - "Pump It Up (Freestyle)"
- Puff Daddy and the Family - "Victory" (feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
- Daft Punk - "Around the World (Radio Edit)"
- Santigold - "Shove It" (feat. Spank Rock)
- Jay-Z - "Run This Town" (feat. Kanye West & Rihanna)
- Dirty Projectors - "Stillness is the Move"
- Nas - "The World Is Yours"
- Coldplay - "Viva La Vida"
- Roy Ayers - "We Live in Brooklyn, Baby"
- Justice - "Stress"
- Jay-Z - "The Bounce" (feat. Kanye West)
- Kanye West - "We Major" (feat. Nas & Really Doe)
- Mobb Deep - "Shook Ones, Pt. II"
- Kanye West - "Amazing" (feat. Young Jeezy)
- Meek Mill - "Ima Boss (Instrumental feat. Rick Ross)"
- Kanye West - "Mercy" (feat. Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz)
- U2 - "Elevation"
- Jay-Z - "On to the Next One" (feat. Swizz Beatz)
- Jay-Z - "Public Service Announcement"
- Jay-Z - "H.A.M (Instrumental)"
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP Service Pack III, Vista Service Pack II, Windows Seven
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or equivalent AMD processor
- RAM: 2 GB or more
- Graphic Card: Video card with 512 MB or more memory Nvidia Geforce 6600 or ATI Radeon equivalent
- SOUND: Any sound card which supports DirectX 9.0
- DIRECT X : Direct X 9.0 or more