So who's got their copy?

#1 Posted by yevinorion (697 posts) -

Mine isn't here yet, as I live in The Bahamas, so have to add an extra day due to shipping from the US to here. Won't get it til tomorrow night.

But for those of you who do have it, how is it? How's the control stick? How's MyCareer?

#2 Posted by YetiAntics (1490 posts) -

Got it, can't wait to play it. ... Working.

Thinking of leaving early though!

#3 Posted by Sterling (2162 posts) -

Its fantastic. The control stick is nice, but takes a little to get used to for shooting since you have to pull the LT. myCareer is also much improved. I am digging it a lot. Still has its flaws, just like every year. But overall outside the terrible things Jay-Z did with the soundtrack and the visuals in the menus, its very good. Haven't experienced any of the major issues posted on the 2k boards yet myself, and hoping that I don't.

#4 Posted by Frostler (244 posts) -

So far the gameplay is good, I can't really figure out how to move the dribble stick to just do some simple moves and not go nuts on the court. Overall though I'm liking it, oh yeah except for the fact that my game freezes every time I try to exit a MyPlayer game. Sounds like a lot of people are having that problem according to the 2k boards though.

#5 Posted by Space_Sandwich (108 posts) -

I got it this morning and have been pretty glued to the TV ever since. The menus and UI are way snappier than before, but they redid the in-game subs menu to be a whole lot clunkier. Still, it looks great (the faces, especially) and it's generally a blast.

#6 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (655 posts) -

I LOVE 2K12 (I also think 2k11 was a real game changer). Do you think 2K13 is worth it? The 2K series isn't like madden because they actually make the game feel different, but I'm not sold on buying this one yet. Is it a must have? I play on PC if that matters.

#7 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

dean learner is radical.

#8 Edited by DystopiaX (5301 posts) -

@Counterclockwork87 said:

I LOVE 2K12 (I also think 2k11 was a real game changer). Do you think 2K13 is worth it? The 2K series isn't like madden because they actually make the game feel different, but I'm not sold on buying this one yet. Is it a must have? I play on PC if that matters.

The dudes who got it so far and are hardcore into it seem to think yes- enough small issues like speed and the pick and roll were fixed that it's worth it, there's a ton of great new stuff in My Player, My Team (Ultimate Team) if you're into that, the new dribble stick is supposed to be nice.

BUT at this point it's pretty much impossible to get the PC version- it seems 2k only shipped enough hard copies to retailers to cover preorders, so there aren't any on shelves, and they're delaying the Direct Download version for 2 week (until the 16th). No one knows why, popular theory is that they want to push the console version since it's $30 bucks more. But yeah, if you want the PC version you have to wait.

I was pissed at 2k just because they didn't make this clear from the onset, but now I care less if only because I have midterms. My annual creation of my 7 foot ponytail-dreadlocks center "Rick James" can wait.

#9 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

UGH!!! I'm so broke. I could really get it I wanted to, but I feel like spending that money would be irresponsible. Still, I want to play that game so bad.

#10 Posted by PSNgamesun (406 posts) -

I feel that the changes in this game are great I like the new total control with the right stick; granted Ive only played for a good 5 hours. I feel that the game did improve in small areas but stayed the same at its core. Although I feel that the core gameplay has not changed much but it got a good enough push that its worth it and toss in the revamped my player and it makes it a sweeter deal.

#11 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

I want to hear from someone who played a lot of, but didn't love, 2K12. Mostly because I was in that camp.

#12 Posted by iTWAN (45 posts) -

So far the game has been great. Feels so different than the last game and I loved 2K12. I will be playing this one for a long time. I like the little things like my point guard not being able to boxout a big anytime I want. They just push me aside, lol.

#13 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@Counterclockwork87 said:

The dudes who got it so far and are hardcore into it seem to think yes- enough small issues like speed and the pick and roll were fixed that it's worth it, there's a ton of great new stuff in My Player, My Team (Ultimate Team) if you're into that, the new dribble stick is supposed to be nice.

BUT at this point it's pretty much impossible to get the PC version- it seems 2k only shipped enough hard copies to retailers to cover preorders, so there aren't any on shelves, and they're delaying the Direct Download version for 2 week (until the 16th). No one knows why, popular theory is that they want to push the console version since it's $30 bucks more. But yeah, if you want the PC version you have to wait.

I was pissed at 2k just because they didn't make this clear from the onset, but now I care less if only because I have midterms. My annual creation of my 7 foot ponytail-dreadlocks center "Rick James" can wait.

Such a bummer, wanted to buy it yesterday and it took me an hour or so of online searching before I figured out the direct download version is delayed till the 16th. Really disappointing.

#14 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Been playing myplayer and the points need to be rebalanced.  Simple crap that I might have no control over like the ai switching who I'm supposed to cover and then getting hit with them scoring is total bs and a massive chunk taken off my score.  And then I get no damn points for a shot I make unless it was a good shot selection or some other bs.  I don't want to have to grind and grind to get enough points to finally improve my guy.  It kills the buzz at times. 

Yeah and I turned off the music shit.

#15 Posted by Gscept (6 posts) -

I haven't even opened it...Executive produced by Jay-z turned me off!!! Plus what's up with the players wearing jewelry and having to pay for them to wear it? WOW. Overall It should be a great Basketball Game

#16 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

I want to know how Brian Bumgartner plays aka Kevin from the office.

#17 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

UGH!!! I'm so broke. I could really get it I wanted to, but I feel like spending that money would be irresponsible. Still, I want to play that game so bad.

I personally say find a Redbox that carries it. That's what i plan to do this weekend.

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6427 posts) -

Did I have a bad install or is the PC version super buggy? Music not playing during highlights/replays/over the PA, commentary getting things wrong (saying the losing team won, discussing replays that never happened), general glitchery, etc.

Also, did the graphics and animation get worse, or am I imagining things? The gameplay is fantastic as always, but man, everything on the presentation side feels like five steps back.

#19 Posted by yevinorion (697 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

I want to hear from someone who played a lot of, but didn't love, 2K12. Mostly because I was in that camp.

Got to spend some time with it and I was in the same camp as you. Loved 2K11, didn't love 12 as much (especially the player speed issues). To me so far 13 feels a lot more like 11 than 12. I'm still getting used to the control stick, but I'm liking it. The signature skills really make a difference, much better than the Abilities in 12. Creating space means everything in this game and the control stick allows you to do that more efficiently. Also the pick & roll game works better with indicators showing how long you're holding what the man will do (pop, roll, etc). There's a lot of AI improvements too, teammates won't just stick to the play, they'll adjust around you to keep the spacing sensible. Also if someone (including you) gets on fire they CPU will actually start sending double teams at you. Don't think I've seen that one before.

Otherwise the presentation is just as good as ever. Some of the Jay-Z stuff is kinda weak, but overall it's ok. Commentary is still great and halftime is now sponsored by Sprint lol. I've only played MyCareer so far, so I don't know if there are any changes to Association/Online/etc as far as mode-specific stuff. MyCareer is better than ever, you can actually go #1 overall this year. I ended up going #5 to the Kings. You can meet with your GM and talk about your coach, teammates, minutes, trades and so on. You can only wear generic sneakers until you get signed to a brand. After game 5 I got the choice to go either Nike or Jordan. Chose NIke, so we'll see how long it takes for me to create my own shoe. Cool thing with the commentary is there's more little asides about your actual player than last year. If you purchase fan boosts (like NBA Cares) they'll mention what a good guy you are or make comments about what you said in press conferences. That sort of thing. One gripe I have, it is very minor...players still don't sweat. This was in 11 and removed in 12 and doesn't seem to be back. Otherwise, it's great so far!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.