Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA 2K14

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 01, 2013

The fifteenth installment of 2K Sports' basketball sim arrives just in time for the 2013-14 NBA season.

Help with defensive game?

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

So I've been playing NBA 2K14 on PS4 this weekend and am really enjoying my time with it. I find the right stick shooting and juking very intuitive, but I'm having trouble grasping the controls on the defensive side of the game. I try using L2 (the "Intense-D" move) and holding the right stick (hands-up blocking) on my opponents, but it doesn't seem to really accomplish much. Typically, all of their shots and passes get through anyway. I also can't reliably jump up for tip-ins and the like.

Any tips any body has would be appreciated. I'm getting a good amount of points with my offense, but my terrible D always gets me into a deficit. Haven't played an NBA game in a while, so all of this right stick jazz is new to me. Thanks!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Flappy

I haven't managed to pop in 2k14 yet (still waiting on my PS4), but defense is all about moving the feet and positioning. Depending on who you're guarding, you either slack off a bit (to cut off driving lanes and force them to pass/throw up a bad shot) or stick to your man like glue. Defense is all about taking away the other person's options and making them do what you want them to do.

Once again, I apologize for not being able to give you more specific advice, but I'm just speaking from the perspective of a person that has played 2k for quite some time. Hopefully this helps your defense a bit!

If my PS4 doesn't burst into flames, we might be able to play together sometime.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have problems with defense too, I can't seem to stop anything. Any advice on trying to steal the ball?

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I find that playing within the system helps: I try to corral attacking players towards Roy Hibbert or David West when using the Pacers, and use a more man to man D/deny movement style with the Bulls. I also have a habit of switching to an off ball defender and modifying his behaviour to create a pseudo zone if I have a really athletic/fast/tall defender like Kevin Durant.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's weird as to me, a 2K veteran, defence seems easier now than it's done in for a while. Errant passes are easy to intercept/punish and I've found there's a lot more blocked shots in games.

Learning when to jump is crucial, if both players go up in the air at the same time, it's usually the defender who comes out on top. Also, try getting into the habit of swatting passes with the Square button, once you get the hang of getting in the way, or tricking your opponent into thinking he's passing to an open man, you can cause havoc.

Lastly, learn to set properly with the Circle button. It's an advance move which once learnt pays off in dividends. Basically, if an opponent is charging towards you, hit and hold circle and hope your player gets set in time and draws the offensive foul.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I have problems with defense too, I can't seem to stop anything. Any advice on trying to steal the ball?

This is based on just two days of play, so I may be wrong, but here's what I'm doing:

• don't tap the button repeatedly, let the whole animation play out before tapping again
    • I've had more success stealing when next to a player vs. when in front of him
    • look at the stats for players on your team, and figure out who is actually the best stealer, and rely on them, it does make a big difference
    • intercept passes! Keep an eye on open players, and rather than always rushing to the player/AI with the ball, try and block the passing lanes

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.