Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA Elite 11

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 05, 2010

EA's renamed basketball simulation set for an October 2010 release was cancelled at the last minute due to concerns over quality. The game was intended to introduce brand new control concepts and mechanics meant to innovate on the simulation basketball genre.

NBA Elite 11 Canned, Development Of Elite Goes To Tiburon

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    NBA Elite 11 is no longer indefinitely postponed--it's cancelled. EA's John Schappert confirmed the widely held suspicion during an EA investor call yesterday afternoon, adding that the NBA Elite franchise will eventually make its debut under the auspices of a new studio, Madden developer EA Tiburon.

Schappert didn't say why NBA Elite 11 was canned, but most players of the game's infamous demo would probably agree that Elite 11 kinda sucked, which is as good of a reason as any. Schappert also didn't explain why the franchise was being moved from EA Canada to the Orlando-based studio. A rash of recent layoffs at the northern developer surely had some sort of impact, though.

EA's basketball portfolio isn't totally empty as a result of this. An HD version of NBA Jam is shipping on disc this November 26 for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and the non-HD version is already available for the Wii.  

== TEASER ==You could, if you're desperate enough (or a collector type), hunt down a copy of Elite 11. Apparently, some game discs managed to make it out of the production phase shortly before EA scrapped the game. 

If you're just looking for a new, finished simulation basketball game, however, just pick up NBA 2K11. It's much more competitive and a tad more realistic than previous entries in the series. The re-tuned AI, for example, actually defends passing lanes, attempts steals, and grabs boards instead of moseying around or just standing in awe. Plus, the new Iso-Motion animations are ridiculously fluid and character-accurate, though it all takes a bit of work to master. Oh, and that Michael Jordan guy? Yeah, he's in it too. (Also, so is Dennis Rodman, the greatest player of all time.)
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    NBA Elite 11 is no longer indefinitely postponed--it's cancelled. EA's John Schappert confirmed the widely held suspicion during an EA investor call yesterday afternoon, adding that the NBA Elite franchise will eventually make its debut under the auspices of a new studio, Madden developer EA Tiburon.

Schappert didn't say why NBA Elite 11 was canned, but most players of the game's infamous demo would probably agree that Elite 11 kinda sucked, which is as good of a reason as any. Schappert also didn't explain why the franchise was being moved from EA Canada to the Orlando-based studio. A rash of recent layoffs at the northern developer surely had some sort of impact, though.

EA's basketball portfolio isn't totally empty as a result of this. An HD version of NBA Jam is shipping on disc this November 26 for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and the non-HD version is already available for the Wii.  

== TEASER ==You could, if you're desperate enough (or a collector type), hunt down a copy of Elite 11. Apparently, some game discs managed to make it out of the production phase shortly before EA scrapped the game. 

If you're just looking for a new, finished simulation basketball game, however, just pick up NBA 2K11. It's much more competitive and a tad more realistic than previous entries in the series. The re-tuned AI, for example, actually defends passing lanes, attempts steals, and grabs boards instead of moseying around or just standing in awe. Plus, the new Iso-Motion animations are ridiculously fluid and character-accurate, though it all takes a bit of work to master. Oh, and that Michael Jordan guy? Yeah, he's in it too. (Also, so is Dennis Rodman, the greatest player of all time.)
    FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Wasn't this game, like... done?

keithfreitag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By keithfreitag

sff

ruffedgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ruffedgz

I'm really not surprised about this as I saw that Youtube video that is linked to this article some time ago. I'm not to disappointed as the NBA 2k11 is really well done this year.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @BradNicholson: Darn it, Brad, what the heck are you talking about, man? The AI in 2K10 defends passing lanes, grabs rebounds, and attempts steals. Have you ever even played the game, and if so, beyond anything other than the rookie difficulty setting? The AI in the game is by no means bad, but they do make some stupid decisions at times, and they do repeat certain patterns over and over which can usually be exploited once you figure them out.
    Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@FuzzYLemoN said:

" Wasn't this game, like... done? "

It was in their eyes until part of it was released to the public and was met with rampant criticism. Hence the video in the story.
    brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By brownsfantb

Is anybody really surprised by this? There was no way this game was coming out before next October anyway so you might as well change developers now.

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By l3illyl3ob
    @FuzzYLemoN said:
    They'd rather not release it at all and release an actual good game next year than release a giant steaming turd now that will destroy the entire franchise forever.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
    @FuzzYLemoN said:
    If it wasn't before, it's done now!

I look forward to EA rebooting and renaming the series again.
    TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By TheClap

Unlike Jesus, this game will take a little longer to be resurrected. 

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By zitosilva

I don't think anyone's surprised.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Sambambo

This doesnt really make sense to me. Sure if they were going to carry on the series then cancel it, but if it is getting reinvented they surely it is better to just pump out the game?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dany
    @TheClap
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm a long time hockey fan, I watch over a hundred games a year, but I can't play hockey games anymore because as a hockey fan, they don't resemble what hockey plays like, and as a video game fan, they don't play as fun as other video games.  Sports games are really a bummer in that they have to serve two masters and often fall short of both.

Madden is the best realized version of its respective sport, and playing it isn't nearly as rewarding as playing a great shooter or character action game.  NBA Jam and NHL '94 are great arcadey titles, but hardly resemble the way their sports actually play aside from the most basic rule book.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Piranesi

This smells a bit too fishy - EA would never pull a game based on a bad reception to a demo. They know that the bulk of their audience never read game reviews (or play demos) and the NBA brand sells a million copies by sight alone. 

Not sure how they can mess up a basketball game either, it's hardly the most complex or nuanced sport. Add in some "banging" EA Trax, a shiny front-end, squeaky shoes, shoe-horn in a tepid career / management mode and a retro team or two and it's ready to ship. Who cares if the game is any fun to play?  EA never has done in the past ...
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By takua108

On a scale of 1 to "surprised," I'm at a 2.

Kowalczyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kowalczyk

You have to get a copy of this in a do a quick look, it looks so amazingly bad, I want to see yall play it for a little while

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18  Edited By the8bitNacho

Sort of happy to see that they were willing to pull the plug on a game that was essentially finished and ready to be consumed by an inevitably unhappy public. Not a lot of developers and/or publishers are willing to do this.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kinarion

I'm as fair-weather a fan as ever there was.  Whenever the Lakers make the playoffs, my friends and I huddle around a TV and cheer Gasol like it means something to us.  I'm mostly there for the company, but I'm consistently amazed by the athletic feats of the individual players.   

I don't feel any of that when I watch NBA video games.  There's no exertion, nothing hard-fought about the animations.  It would take a lot more than a fatigue meter for me to see the appeal of this sort of game.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By zaccheus

That video still cracks me up.

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Liono88

Andrew Bynum is Jesus apparently

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By PLWolf

I was sticking with NBA Live 10 anyway. Now I'll get roster updates too. Awesome!

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By metal_mills
    @l3illyl3ob said:
    " @FuzzYLemoN said:
    They'd rather not release it at all and release an actual good game next year than release a giant steaming turd now that will destroy the entire franchise forever. "

It's actually a bold move from EA.
    MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By MetalBaofu

That video makes me wish this game came out, so we could have gotten a quick look of it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

So that Madden guys are on the project now? Interesting for sure.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By coaxmetal
    @takua108 said:
    " On a scale of 1 to "surprised," I'm at a 2. "
    Is that close to surprised? What if surprised is only a 3? You would be like half-surprised then.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wickedsc3

Hell yea good call on dennis rodman brad

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By meteora

Man that game looked like it sucked. Good thing they canned it. Not sure why they would want to do that instead of fixing it though.

Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nunchuckles

Amazon lists NBA Jam for PS3 and 360 for Nov. 16th

Greenlight13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Greenlight13

I got both demos and I thought NBA2K11 sucked and Elite was kinda cool. Then my buddy bought 2K11 and I played it for a while, loved it, bought it myself, and it absolutely wipes the floor with Elite, both from the actual gameplay and features perspectives. It's more realistic, challenging, and deeper, and it just has an insane number of modes and the attention to detail is staggering.

All of this being said, I wouldn't say Elite sucks, it just isn't as good. I didn't get the jesus glitch or a glitch of any kind for that matter. I think they could still have released it and done solid numbers, but if they want to compete with 2K at this point then they need to invest a lot of time and money into developing something truer to life and with as many extras as 2K has to make it feel special. The DNA system for example, is awesome, and having the rights to FIBA is kinda cool, but those are the best things the series has going for it, and 2K offers free roster updates almost instantly and Michael friggin Jordan, as well as other legends on classic teams, which is better than FIBA, so they're matching them and then going beyond. 

Maybe it's time we moved into the realms of non-annual sports games... though I'm sure the sheer volume of sales will prevent that.

Avatar image for the_purgatory_station
    the_purgatory_station

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

based on previous commenters yeah i'm suprised considering it would've been easy money if EA just released it. 

w/ the move to orlando i'm not sure if they're going to try and innovate their NBA line anymore.
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DukesT3

Oh well. For once 2K finally wins a battle! If only they could still make a football game... =( 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

I'm honestly not sure what EA hopes to accomplish by handing development off to Tiburon.  Was EA Canada really that inept?

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By rapid

LOL Broken avatar in video, wait.... is Elite running on the Game Room Engine?! XD

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By unsolvedparadox

That's mad depressing, I'm really interested to read the complete story about the collapse of development for Elite 11. I'm sure there is a ton that hasn't gone public yet...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @UnsolvedParadox said:
    " That's mad depressing, I'm really interested to read the complete story about the collapse of development for Elite 11. I'm sure there is a ton that hasn't gone public yet... "
    I think what it boiled down to was this:

1. EA decided that a full-scale revamp of their NBA series was required to compete with the NBA2K series.
    2. EA Canada began building a whole new NBA game from scratch with design input from the lead of EA's NHL series.
    3. The game was designed and coded in the standard year-to-year sports game cycle.  (i.e.:  Work started after NBA Live 10 was out the door.)
    4. This was not nearly enough time to create a whole new NBA game with completely new gameplay and animation systems, among other factors.
    5. A demo of the game was released to great public scorn.
    6. EA realized that they were sitting on a turd and tried to rectify it.
    7. After realization that they wouldn't be able to get the game out in a playable state in time for the majority of the NBA season, NBA Elite was scrapped.
    8. EA gave the task of making the next NBA game to Tiburon, because hey, they've done well with the Madden games, so why not?
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By nukesniper

I totally have an NBA Elite 11 sale sign from my Target store. Score I say, it means nothing outside my little idiot mind, but I find humor in it.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Kyle

So, I'm confused. Isn't Tiburon going to take the code and make an NBA Elite for next year? In that case, can it really be called a cancellation? Isn't it more just like a delay and a number change?....and developer change?

aledromo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By aledromo

RIP Elite.  Right next to LeBron's brand.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Jayross

You can buy NBA Elite 11 on the app store..

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By sopachuco13

A strategic move by EA, too bad this couldn't have happened earlier when they hadn't speant gobs of money on the game already. I guess stopping it now is better than letting it come out and get raped by 2K. 

NBA Jam will be their saving grace. I am sure after they get all of the money from that one they won't have to worry about the spilled milk anymore. 

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Ramone

That video is funny as hell.

Falcon_Davis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Falcon_Davis

Oh dear, although from various recent podcasts I'd assummed this game was officially dead already. I suppose at least this is a kind of closure for people who'd been looking foward to it.

Hoarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hoarr

Did anything ever come out of that story about a handful of leaked discs?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.