Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA Elite 11

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 05, 2010

EA's renamed basketball simulation set for an October 2010 release was cancelled at the last minute due to concerns over quality. The game was intended to introduce brand new control concepts and mechanics meant to innovate on the simulation basketball genre.

NBA Elite 11 Delayed, Standalone NBA Jam Hits 360, PS3 This Year

• 100 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

Over on his official EA.com blog, EA Sports President and arm-tattoo model Peter Moore has announced that NBA Elite 11—the comprehensive reboot and reworking of the NBA Live franchise—would not be making its launch date next week. Citing that the game simply “isn’t ready yet,” and that additional play testing and polish is needed on the title, Moore revealed that EA is pushing Elite out of October, with no available timeframe to indicate the game's new release date.

It's hard to get to the top of the key when you're stuck like a Game Room avatar.
     It's hard to get to the top of the key when you're stuck like a Game Room avatar.

What makes this story especially crazy is that it doesn’t sound like a case where the Elite team just needs a few more weeks to fix bugs or adjust statistics balance. On the contrary, it sounds like the Elite delay is far more serious; as Moore notes in his blog entry, reactions to EA Elite 11—and to its recently released demo—have been very critical of the title.

NBA ELITE had the benefit of play-testing, a demo and a lot of our own research.  All that feedback revealed some concerns about gameplay polish, so we’ve listened to your feedback, and made a judgment that the game would benefit from more time in development.

According to Moore, EA will be continuing its support of NBA Live 10, throughout the 2010-2011 NBA season. All NBA Live 10 owners will receive the full roster update for the current season, as well as full support for EA’s “ Dynamic DNA” updates, which automatically adjust player and team statistics depending on their real life performance. All of these updates, Moore writes, will be available for NBA Live 10 owners totally free of charge. 

== TEASER ==With EA coming forward and publicly admitting to quality concerns, as well as the company’s measures taken to keep its basketball player base happy (and away from 2K’s basketball franchise) for the remainder of this season, it’s possible that NBA Elite could miss out on a 2010 release date and maybe miss the current basketball season season entirely. 

So, with NBA Elite possibly pushed out of this current release season, what does this mean for NBA Jam HD? The graphically enhanced, but feature-limited port of EA’s NBA Jam game for the Wii was originally planned as a free download packed in with copies of NBA Elite 11 for the 360 and PS3. However, because of the delay, Moore writes, EA has decided to release NBA Jam as a standalone product for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, “in time for the holidays.”  

Whether this means that NBA Jam HD will be released as a downloadable game for XBLA and PSN, or whether the full disc version coming out on the Wii next week will be ported up to and released on a disc for the 360 and PS3 by year’s end is unclear at this time.

This just goes to show; no matter which company you are, you shouldn’t try to put Jesus in your basketball game. You’re just asking for trouble.   

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Over on his official EA.com blog, EA Sports President and arm-tattoo model Peter Moore has announced that NBA Elite 11—the comprehensive reboot and reworking of the NBA Live franchise—would not be making its launch date next week. Citing that the game simply “isn’t ready yet,” and that additional play testing and polish is needed on the title, Moore revealed that EA is pushing Elite out of October, with no available timeframe to indicate the game's new release date.

What makes this story especially crazy is that it doesn’t sound like a case where the Elite team just needs a few more weeks to fix bugs or adjust statistics balance. On the contrary, it sounds like the Elite delay is far more serious; as Moore notes in his blog entry, reactions to EA Elite 11—and to its recently released demo—have been very critical of the title.

NBA ELITE had the benefit of play-testing, a demo and a lot of our own research.  All that feedback revealed some concerns about gameplay polish, so we’ve listened to your feedback, and made a judgment that the game would benefit from more time in development.

According to Moore, EA will be continuing its support of NBA Live 10, throughout the 2010-2011 NBA season. All NBA Live 10 owners will receive the full roster update for the current season, as well as full support for EA’s “ Dynamic DNA” updates, which automatically adjust player and team statistics depending on their real life performance. All of these updates, Moore writes, will be available for NBA Live 10 owners totally free of charge. 

== TEASER ==With EA coming forward and publicly admitting to quality concerns, as well as the company’s measures taken to keep its basketball player base happy (and away from 2K’s basketball franchise) for the remainder of this season, it’s possible that NBA Elite could miss out on a 2010 release date and maybe miss the current basketball season season entirely. 

So, with NBA Elite possibly pushed out of this current release season, what does this mean for NBA Jam HD? The graphically enhanced, but feature-limited port of EA’s NBA Jam game for the Wii was originally planned as a free download packed in with copies of NBA Elite 11 for the 360 and PS3. However, because of the delay, Moore writes, EA has decided to release NBA Jam as a standalone product for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, “in time for the holidays.”  

Whether this means that NBA Jam HD will be released as a downloadable game for XBLA and PSN, or whether the full disc version coming out on the Wii next week will be ported up to and released on a disc for the 360 and PS3 by year’s end is unclear at this time.

This just goes to show; no matter which company you are, you shouldn’t try to put Jesus in your basketball game. You’re just asking for trouble.   

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By metal_mills

Thank god. NBA Jam is all I need.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FritzDude

wow
    Avatar image for radicalbigdaddy
    RadicalBigDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By RadicalBigDaddy

Awesome...I was only interested in Jam.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By cannedstingray

no kidding , oh well not much into sports games
    dexterslu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dexterslu

I'm not surprised and sort of disappointed, since this was from the same guy who turned around their NHL franchise..

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mattbodega
    @dexterslu:  Same here. But it sounds like reactions to the NBA Elite demo have been a lot like the video I posted in the story: pretty negative across the board. 

Oh well, at least you've still got Pure to play, right?
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yakov456

And that wraps up the latest episode of "As the NBA Jam turns".

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Jesus died for the delay of your buggy-ass sports game.
    Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kingpk

They should have put out Jam as a separate XBLA/PSN title in the first place. That may sell better than Elite if it ever comes out.

Catalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Catalyst

I almost pissed myself watching that video.  Hilarious.

RedAuerbach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RedAuerbach

Another reason to get NBA 2k11? :)

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By aurahack
    "We’ve listened to your feedback, and made a judgment that the game would benefit from more time in development."

Everyone raise your hand if you thought you were crazy when reading this from a developer. :/ That's mad weird but totally awesome that that's even being said/done.
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adoggz

standalone nba jam hd ftw

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Poki3

This is the most good Game Room ever did. Now you can all cancel your pre-orders :P

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

"Something's wrong with my gawddamn buttons. Shit's crazy."

dexterslu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dexterslu
    @MattBodega said:

" @dexterslu:  Same here. But it sounds like reactions to the NBA Elite demo have been a lot like the video I posted in the story: pretty negative across the board. 

Oh well, at least you've still got Pure to play, right? "

Kessler, you know me too well good sir.  

That reminds me, I played Split Second and was horribly disappointed. In my opinion the game was overrated by nearly everyone across the board. Sure, the game looked cool at various points but quickly became a one trick poney.  A lot of the frustration I had with the game stemmed from the implementation of the power ups, how good are those things if the timing of each and everyone changes based on the course you are playing on? I mean, if I can't learn how to use the power ups properly and I feel like I am taking a risk when using one (in the sense blowing myself up every-time I use one) why have them? at various points the game felt overly convoluted and hectic for the sake of being hectic.  Pure that game is not. 
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By nick_verissimo

At least from that picture it looks like they got Kevin Garnett's goatee right.

MadThad0890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MadThad0890

MAN i played the 360 demo last weekend MANNNN WHAT THE FUCK MANNNNNN... Who's bright idea was it to put the pass button on the triggers!!!!??! I mean really.. THE TRIGGERS!?!?.  I haven't enjoyed a nba games since the ps2 games. Once live 2006 came out EA took their basketball games into a new direction that i wasn't a big fan of.  Also THAT VIDEO DROVE ME TO TEARS. "Dude standing in the middle of the court like Jesus" AHAHAHAH

MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MegaGoat

Moore may as well have come out and said it's a busted piece of shit
    He'd probably have a lot moore credibility

Big question, will Jesus be playable in NBA Jam?

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

That video is great.  Sums up everything EA basketball games are all about.
    RedFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By RedFive

Please ship all the features from the Wii version in the Xbox 360 version! I would like very much to buy that from you EA!

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck YES all I want out of life is another NBA Jam

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By g6065

I can just imagine the amount of Elite 11 copies that would have found their way into the 2nd - hand bin only days after launch. 

Was anyone actually going to buy Elite for Elite?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BraveToaster
    @aurahack said:
    " "We’ve listened to your feedback, and made a judgment that the game would benefit from more time in development."  Everyone raise your hand if you thought you were crazy when reading this from a developer. :/ That's mad weird but totally awesome that that's even being said/done. "
    It is a surprise and a smart move on their end.
    None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By None_Braver

It would be nice if they added the "campaign" to this but that wont happen.  Hopefully they wont try to charge more than it's worth because it's now a standalone.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By grilledcheez

I was actually going to buy it

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By zombie2011

Broken Avatar at 2:27 on the video. 

I thought Game Room was the only one, but i guess it's widespread.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By Jayross

Yeah, sounds like Elite isn't that great right now...

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KuribosShoe

this is kind of a bummer, I actually liked the demo a lot.  hopefully this makes the final product better, though

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By jorbear

Now that the problems that are synonymous with Game Room are also in this, I will be getting this. 

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cheapoz

Awesome move EA. Should be applauded.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Milkman

That's actually awesome.  Not many publishers have the balls to delay their annual sports game. Good on EA for this. 

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By MeetThePyro

I kinda feel bad for the Elite team, I mean really? Did anyone ever care about anything except Jam?

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DrLove

more like nba-DELETE hahhahah.. i kill myself 

Avatar image for conduitfoursale
    ConduitFourSale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ConduitFourSale

Whoever thought it was a good idea to release a demo of the game in its current state probably shouldn't be working at EA anymore.  But I'm glad he/she did because that video was f-ing awesome.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cybexx

*clap* *clap* *clap* that does not happen with EA Sports games. The fact that they are willing to delay it to work on improving the gameplay speaks volumes to how they are trying to launch this right and distance themselves from the old franchise. I mean I'm not really going to buy it; like most people on this website I was only really interested in Jam and the Wii version seems like the better option. Either that or they failed certification and they are not actually working on gameplay; I would like to believe that it is for the gameplay though.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DoctorWelch

I have to say, the game demo was way better than NBA Live, but 2k was still way way waaaaay better.

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DrLove
    @Cybexx said:
    " *clap* *clap* *clap* that does not happen with EA Sports games. The fact that they are willing to delay it to work on improving the gameplay speaks volumes to how they are trying to launch this right and distance themselves from the old franchise. I mean I'm not really going to buy it; like most people on this website I was only really interested in Jam and the Wii version seems like the better option. Either that or they failed certification and they are not actually working on gameplay; I would like to believe that it is for the gameplay though. "
    ya its good that they are taking time to work on it, but if it drops late it will get crushed by 2k (would have anyway) but this will be worse.   But props to them for admitting it wasnt ready.
    mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By mathewballard

What would be more interesting then just allowing for the DNA/roster updates for NBA Live 2010 would be if they had DLC that allowed you to start a franchise mode with the 2010-2011 season.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#41  Edited By MeatSim

The Game Room avatar pose is catching on like fire!

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bigsmoke77

"what the fuck was that"

TheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheDude

First of all if you are going to do a video of something make sure you know how to play the game. This guy had no idea about the new controls. Yes the game needs some more work, but after playing a few games I love the new control system and hope they stick with it. People hated NHL when the new controls came out but they stuck with it and now the game is great.  Some people just don't want to put the time in to learn something new.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bhhawks78

Live/elite has been bad for a decade compared to 2k. 

Had 0 chance of buying elite or jam before.  Now might buy jam 

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By wrighteous86

Still not sure what system to get Jam on, dammit!

corn49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By corn49

Yes. I was hoping this would happen!

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bhhawks78

10-15$ download insta buy. 

20$ download - buy when I get a points card on sale. 

50-60$ Disc?  Laugh my ass off and use gamefly or buy it used 6 months later for 10$.

Avatar image for getbentthevideogame
    GetBentTheVideoGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is hilarious. People were shitting all over that Elite demo.
    They should just add all the Wii-edition features to the PS3/360 versions. EA already sent the Wii version to die without online, at least let consumers get a definitive version of the game.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By MisterMouse

you would think that would be something you could foresee...

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Malphye

Great video. Haven't laughed his hard in awhile. "This shit is crazy"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.