NBA Jam HD Hitting Stores In November, Will Cost 50 Bones

  • 165 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Our exhaustive effort to mention NBA Jam HD at least once a week is coming to a sudden close. EA has announced the details we've been scrounging for, confirming that the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of NBA Jam will cost $50 and will ship on November 17. Also, this version will indeed ship with the Remix Tour (just like its Wii counterpart did) and is set to offer two-on-two local and online play out of the box.

But not all planned features will make it in the game by release day. In December, EA plans to build on the online offering by releasing a no-cost title update that adds Remix games, a progression and unlock system called Online Progression, and a three-person cooperative mode dubbed Jam Party. 
 
  

   

Remix Games mode, according to EA, will include "classic arcade hoop games like Backboard Smash, Domination Free-for-All, Elimination, and 21." Online Progression seems to be a challenge mode that will, ultimately, allow you to unlock "secret online Jam Challenges to unlock online exclusive rewards and hidden content" if you meet whatever goals are set. That's neat. I think.

NBA Jam HD was once slated to be a free digital download with rumored online paid downloadable content support. As you've noticed, things have changed a bit. But basketball? Basketball never changes. 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Our exhaustive effort to mention NBA Jam HD at least once a week is coming to a sudden close. EA has announced the details we've been scrounging for, confirming that the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of NBA Jam will cost $50 and will ship on November 17. Also, this version will indeed ship with the Remix Tour (just like its Wii counterpart did) and is set to offer two-on-two local and online play out of the box.

But not all planned features will make it in the game by release day. In December, EA plans to build on the online offering by releasing a no-cost title update that adds Remix games, a progression and unlock system called Online Progression, and a three-person cooperative mode dubbed Jam Party. 
 
  

   

Remix Games mode, according to EA, will include "classic arcade hoop games like Backboard Smash, Domination Free-for-All, Elimination, and 21." Online Progression seems to be a challenge mode that will, ultimately, allow you to unlock "secret online Jam Challenges to unlock online exclusive rewards and hidden content" if you meet whatever goals are set. That's neat. I think.

NBA Jam HD was once slated to be a free digital download with rumored online paid downloadable content support. As you've noticed, things have changed a bit. But basketball? Basketball never changes. 
#2 Posted by DarkTravesty (330 posts) -

really?

#3 Posted by FourSerioux (21 posts) -

As much as I'd love to pick up the game, being a disk based release and costing $50 is outrageous in my mind.  Chances are I'll never buy, it's not the type of game that I'd actually put a disk in for.  Incredibly disappointing.

#4 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

meh.

#5 Posted by crapneck (136 posts) -

seems awfully pricey

#6 Posted by ashton (314 posts) -

What?!?

#7 Posted by AjayRaz (12440 posts) -

doesn't this contain all the features of the wii version? what's wrong with it being priced at 50$? 

#8 Posted by august (3853 posts) -

nope.avi

#9 Posted by Hammerjelly (221 posts) -

Considering this was going to be free, I wouldn't pay more than 29 for this.

#10 Posted by 1337W422102 (1014 posts) -

I love the hell out of oldschool Jam, but I'm still skeptical about this newfangled version.

#11 Posted by Marino (4736 posts) -

I don't see the issue with the price.  $50 for this seems fine to me.

Staff
#12 Posted by Darkraven (171 posts) -

way too expensive as far as im concerned : |

#13 Posted by lolgreg (244 posts) -

Yeah, 15 dollar downloadable title.  Just what I expecte- WAIT WHAT?

#14 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

no way in hell am I paying 50 bucks for that

#15 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

EA... the lesser evil.
 
:/

#16 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

31 quid?! Jesus, thats insane. If you're going to charge that much, make it a full retail game. 
 
This was going to be my first ever sports game as I'm fond of the original. Not any more.

#17 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

well EA has just lost a sale.

#18 Posted by Homeslice (553 posts) -

Just because $50 sounds like the original $15 price, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

#19 Posted by dragonzord (822 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" doesn't this contain all the features of the wii version? what's wrong with it being priced at 50$?  "
Nothing. Gamers are just feeling entitled as usual. It comes with everything the Wii version had and plans to add more for free. Do people think they deserve cheaper prices for the same product as the Wii? It doesn't help that Nicholson fuels the flames in the subtitle.
#20 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

Now I don't have to buy Elite to get Jam on my consoles. And it'll have everything that the Wii version had and more, and it is the same price as the Wii version? Joy.

#21 Edited by cowdrunk (245 posts) -

so sad  
wonder how long it will take for a price slashing?
#22 Posted by angelfan91 (892 posts) -

Why are people saying this was going to be free?  It wasn't, you had to buy NBA Elite to get it, that's technically not free.  Now you're getting a better game, cheaper.
#23 Posted by SternCat (27 posts) -

What a cluster fuck. Whatever the true value of this game, it doesn't even matter anymore. Everyone knows that it was at one point it was going to be a free bonus game, and will see the new price as a rip off.

#24 Posted by AjayRaz (12440 posts) -
@zoner said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" doesn't this contain all the features of the wii version? what's wrong with it being priced at 50$?  "
Nothing. Gamers are just feeling entitled as usual. It comes with everything the Wii version had and plans to add more for free. Do people think they deserve cheaper prices for the same product as the Wii? It doesn't help that Nicholson fuels the flames in the subtitle. "
ugh. i see. thank you. ><  
#25 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" 31 quid?! Jesus, thats insane. If you're going to charge that much, make it a full retail game.  This was going to be my first ever sports game as I'm fond of the original. Not any more. "
They'd probably bump it to £40 to make some money off our shitty Great British Pound too. Man I wish we'd change to like the Dollar. 
 
My opinion on this game isn't needed because I have no idea why I'd need this.
#26 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -
@angelfan91 said:
" Why are people saying this was going to be free?  It wasn't, you had to buy NBA Elite to get it, that's technically not free.  Now you're getting a better game, cheaper. "
Yes, let's all pretend that this is a great deal when something that was meant to come free with a new, modern sports game is suddenly priced at $50.  It's practically a bargain!
#27 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

50 dollars seems like a lot...

#28 Posted by Naughton (188 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: It is a full retail game. 
#29 Posted by Cheetoman (104 posts) -

50 bucks for being able to play extreme fake basketball?

#30 Posted by shatteringlast (228 posts) -

I'm fine with it. It would've been the only reason NBA Elite was selling anyways. 
 
MY question is can you play 2 players locally, and go online with that? It must be able to, and that's gotta be fun as hell.

#31 Posted by Cybexx (1193 posts) -

Good thing I can grab this at 20 from an EA friend. I have been playing the Wii version which is pretty awesome despite the lack of Online.

#32 Edited by bhhawks78 (1206 posts) -

15$ download or 10$ in the bargain/used bin in 6 months your choice EA.

#33 Posted by andycapps (13 posts) -

$50 for an incomplete game? Sign me up!

#34 Posted by Magicallystoopid (467 posts) -

...Why do people keep referring to it being free, when originally technically you would have to buy a 60 dollar game for a version of this game that wouldn't have as much on it.  Hell when that was going on I remember people being pissed about having to get NBA Elite to get this game.  Joking about how they were going to buy NBA Elite and then sell it while keeping the NBA Jam code.
 
ON TOP OF ALL THAT... you guys seriously thought it was going to be a 20 dollar game?  SERIOUSLY?  On top of the licensing fees of the NBA and getting the Jam license to begin with.  This is a title that people have been waiting all year for.  Hell I'm happy they made it a 50 dollar game instead of a 60 dollar game.  Oh you people would be whining to high heaven about it if that was the case.  
 
Actually now that I think about it, this wasn't even going to be on PS3 or 360 when it was first announced.  But because everyone cry and moaned about it they finally agreed to put it out for those system.  Really should EA just stop trying to please you people?  Because I'm starting to think nothing they do would be good enough.
 
Me personally, I'm going to buy this, and enjoy it.

#35 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I don't care how much it costs on a Wii. I can even overlook the fact that it was promised as an extra to another game, PR blunder aside.  It all comes down to the fact that this is an Arcade game, something you start up every now and then to have a laugh with a friend. Something that's on your harddisk for a quick spin if you need it. Something that costs 1200 points.
 
All my opinion of course, but I think I am far from alone in this.  I think they are setting themselves up for a flop at this pricepoint. It's not too late, put it on XBLA for 1200 points and make a ton more money because everyone will want it.

#36 Posted by Naughton (188 posts) -
@Dork_Metamorphosis said:
" @angelfan91 said:
" Why are people saying this was going to be free?  It wasn't, you had to buy NBA Elite to get it, that's technically not free.  Now you're getting a better game, cheaper. "
Yes, let's all pretend that this is a great deal when something that was meant to come free with a new, modern sports game is suddenly priced at $50.  It's practically a bargain! "
 
The thing the whiners are conveniently missing is that the version of JAM that was going to come with Elite 11 was severely gimped. It was going to only feature exhibition mode, and a basic online exhibition mode. Now it has everything that the Wii version has, plus it's in HD, and has all the single-player modes, and come December it will have a more fully featured online mode. For the same price as the Wii version, which is only a few weeks old. Expecting to pay less for more is foolish.
#37 Posted by Sammo21 (3353 posts) -

lol, $50?  /nope

#38 Posted by El_Derrico (205 posts) -

R.I.P., NBA Jam breaking news.

#39 Posted by spankmastaflex (28 posts) -

i like the look of it...ill still suck at it though
#40 Posted by Winsord (1247 posts) -

Should've at least been a discounted like $30 or $40 game. I'm not surprised it's the same price as the Wii version though, but I think that should've been less too. I'll wait for it to be the price of a downloadable game, knowing that I won't play too much of it.

Online
#41 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -
@Naughton said:
" @Dork_Metamorphosis said:
" @angelfan91 said:
" Why are people saying this was going to be free?  It wasn't, you had to buy NBA Elite to get it, that's technically not free.  Now you're getting a better game, cheaper. "
Yes, let's all pretend that this is a great deal when something that was meant to come free with a new, modern sports game is suddenly priced at $50.  It's practically a bargain! "
 The thing the whiners are conveniently missing is that the version of JAM that was going to come with Elite 11 was severely gimped. It was going to only feature exhibition mode, and a basic online exhibition mode. Now it has everything that the Wii version has, plus it's in HD, and has all the single-player modes, and come December it will have a more fully featured online mode. For the same price as the Wii version, which is only a few weeks old. Expecting to pay less for more is foolish. "
There is something that's often said about a fool and his money, and it isn't that he refuses to pay $50 for an ancient arcade game "in HD". 
#42 Posted by andycapps (13 posts) -
@zoner: Most people expect online multiplayer these days though. While it's acceptable for the Wii to not have it, I think most would expect a sports title to have it at launch on the high-def consoles.
#43 Posted by MegaGoat (219 posts) -
@Hammerjelly said:
" Considering this was going to be free, I wouldn't pay more than 29 for this. "
It was never free
NEVER
#44 Posted by RenaissanceXD (44 posts) -

HA! 
 
EA never learn.... 

#45 Posted by Trilogy (2673 posts) -

waaaah

Online
#46 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (957 posts) -

So according to EA, Elite 11 is actually worth $10-25?  So noted.

#47 Posted by Magicallystoopid (467 posts) -
@Dork_Metamorphosis said:
" @Naughton said:
" @Dork_Metamorphosis said:
" @angelfan91 said:
" Why are people saying this was going to be free?  It wasn't, you had to buy NBA Elite to get it, that's technically not free.  Now you're getting a better game, cheaper. "
Yes, let's all pretend that this is a great deal when something that was meant to come free with a new, modern sports game is suddenly priced at $50.  It's practically a bargain! "
 The thing the whiners are conveniently missing is that the version of JAM that was going to come with Elite 11 was severely gimped. It was going to only feature exhibition mode, and a basic online exhibition mode. Now it has everything that the Wii version has, plus it's in HD, and has all the single-player modes, and come December it will have a more fully featured online mode. For the same price as the Wii version, which is only a few weeks old. Expecting to pay less for more is foolish. "
There is something that's often said about a fool and his money, and it isn't that he refuses to pay $50 for an ancient arcade game "in HD".  "
"ancient"?  ANCIENT?!  Okay if this was the original 1993 version than yes, you would have an argument.  This isn't though, and don't tell me for a second you were going to buy NBA Elite.  Because last I checked no one in their right mind was going to buy that.  
 
In fact, I'm even going to say right here and now, the majority of people on here complaining about the price tag.  Come this holiday season, or even the day of it's release.  They're going to AT LEAST seriously consider buying the game, at least.  It happened with Left 4 Dead 2, and it's going to happen here.  All this is, is complaining for the sake of complaining.
#48 Posted by Naughton (188 posts) -
@Dork_Metamorphosis said:
" @Naughton said:
" @Dork_Metamorphosis said:
" @angelfan91 said:
" Why are people saying this was going to be free?  It wasn't, you had to buy NBA Elite to get it, that's technically not free.  Now you're getting a better game, cheaper. "
Yes, let's all pretend that this is a great deal when something that was meant to come free with a new, modern sports game is suddenly priced at $50.  It's practically a bargain! "
 The thing the whiners are conveniently missing is that the version of JAM that was going to come with Elite 11 was severely gimped. It was going to only feature exhibition mode, and a basic online exhibition mode. Now it has everything that the Wii version has, plus it's in HD, and has all the single-player modes, and come December it will have a more fully featured online mode. For the same price as the Wii version, which is only a few weeks old. Expecting to pay less for more is foolish. "
There is something that's often said about a fool and his money, and it isn't that he refuses to pay $50 for an ancient arcade game "in HD".  "
If you don't think it's worth it, then don't buy it. But that doesn't make everyone who does buy it a fool. I'm not trying to debate what the actual value of NBA JAM is, I was just pointing out that your original post was missing some context.
#49 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

I love NBA Jam, but $50?
 
Would you guys buy that TMNT Reshelled game for $50?
Would you buy Hydro Thunder HD at $50?
How about that Outrun Online for $50?
 
It's a remake of an arcade game. People are freaking out that it''s fifty dollars because it's fifty dollars!    For an arcade remake.

#50 Posted by EveretteScott (1516 posts) -
@lolgreg said:
" Yeah, 15 dollar downloadable title.  Just what I expecte- WAIT WHAT? "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.