NBA Jam HD Hitting Stores In November, Will Cost 50 Bones

  • 166 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#101 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -
@Quansto said:
" @patrick said:
" @Quansto said:
" This game has DLC written all over it. "
Except the part where it came out on the Wii and got fine reviews. Oops. "
Actually, I wasn't talking about the quality of the game, but rather the "tacked-on" nature that EA gave it. No oops needed, just read it more carefully chief. :) I would totally pick this game up, $15 sounds about right. Shame about the Wii, hope you didnt get stuck with the $50 for something A LOT of people almost got for significantly less; dodged a bullet there lol.  "
His response to your comment made perfect sense and was entirely appropriate. I think you're the one who needs to do the careful reading, chief.
#102 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

so lets get the wii version then? 
 
i was like OOOOH  AWESOME and then i was like AW DAMN.

#103 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

I feel like the rest of the world just caught up to what I've been saying about this game the whole damn time. It's a shinier version of a mid-90s arcade game for $50. Yeah, no thanks.

#104 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

idiot fucks and pieces of shits. nobody's gonna buy your game now. imbeciles

#105 Posted by deadmoscow (268 posts) -

Christ, 50 bucks?  I was hoping for 40.  

#106 Posted by Laxaloot (105 posts) -

Yeah... 50 bucks makes this a no go.

#107 Posted by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -

If Activision pulled this shit they would be crucified.

#108 Edited by RecSpec (3926 posts) -

Remember when EA used to be the definition of evil?
 
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

#109 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@Sil3n7 said:
" If Activision pulled this shit they would be crucified. "
Who's pulling what "shit"? Selling a fully featured game for full price?  Doesn't matter if it's Activision, or EA, or LJN for all I care. Just because people think that they're entitled to pay what they want to pay for this game, doesn't mean that the companies should bow down to them and cater to their every whims. 
#110 Posted by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -
@VinceNotVance said:
" @Sil3n7 said:
" If Activision pulled this shit they would be crucified. "
Who's pulling what "shit"? Selling a fully featured game for full price?  Doesn't matter if it's Activision, or EA, or LJN for all I care. Just because people think that they're entitled to pay what they want to pay for this game, doesn't mean that the companies should bow down to them and cater to their every whims.  "
Calling this game "fully featured" is a god damn hard sell there...
#111 Posted by Max21 (105 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" Remember when EA used to be the definition of evil?  Pepperidge Farm remembers. "
lol nice
#112 Posted by 100eyes (62 posts) -

Personally, I'm willing to pay up to $25. Guess I'll be picking this up this time next year in the bargain bin.

#113 Posted by bonbolapti (1626 posts) -

Seriously, You kids need to stop being a bunch of fucking babies. it's 50$ on all platforms and it'll be HD on 360 and PS3? grow a pair! suck it up!
 
OH NO! I HAVE TO SPEND MONEY FOR A FULL FLEDGED GAME!
 
to the articles credit though. the way Nicholson worded the title is fucking amateur, and is possibly the catalyst for all this bitching and whining   

#114 Edited by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@Sil3n7: The way I see it, compared to the bare-bones game that was coming with NBA Elite, you're getting the Remix Tour mode as well (so boss battles & all those extra characters, Backboard smash & other mini-games), not to mention whatever else that is promised in the "free title update". Oh and online play which the Wii lacks. For the same price as the Wii version. 
  
Again, you're acting as if you're entitled. It has all the features you want from an NBA Jam game. Honestly, what else could you want from the game that would make it worth your money? What's your reasoning as to why it's not worth $50? Is it because you deem it as an "arcade" game? And don't give me the argument that there are fully-featured XBLA games for $15, because on the other hand, there are games that have much less replay value that are selling for $60 easily. Why is NBA Jam getting crapped all over when it's selling for $50? Just because you'd rather pay $20 for the game doesn't mean that EA or anyone else thinks its worth $20.
#115 Posted by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -
@VinceNotVance said:
" @Sil3n7: The way I see it, compared to the bare-bones game that was coming with NBA Elite, you're getting the Remix Tour mode as well (so boss battles & all those extra characters, Backboard smash & other mini-games), not to mention whatever else that is promised in the "free title update". Oh and online play which the Wii lacks. For the same price as the Wii version. 
  
Again, you're acting as if you're entitled. It has all the features you want from an NBA Jam game. Honestly, what else could you want from the game that would make it worth your money? What's your reasoning as to why it's not worth $50? Is it because you deem it as an "arcade" game? And don't give me the argument that there are fully-featured XBLA games for $15, because on the other hand, there are games that are much less replay value that are selling for $60 easily. Why is NBA Jam getting crapped all over when it's selling for $50? Just because you'd rather pay $20 for the game doesn't mean that EA or anyone else thinks its worth $20. "
Well honestly, as you can see from a lot of responses from this thread, people don't want to spend 50 on this game. People have seen the quick look and that really did show most of the game so they are educated.
#116 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@Sil3n7: That's fine that other people don't want to pay $50. If that's what they want,  they can probably get a copy new for less than $30 by March. I just think it's stupid that people are getting all uppity about this whole "value for the price" thing. It's like when Limbo came out & people bitched that it wasn't worth $15 because it was only 3 hours long and compared it to other XBLA games at the same (or lower) price. Don't compare it to anything else, you decide how much you are willing to spend on the game and go with that. NBA Jam isn't a gimped, half-assed game. EA believes it's worth $50. I feel that I'll most definitely get enjoyment out of the $50 I'll spend on that game.    
 
Also, this thread is probably full of the same people who said they weren't going to buy Left 4 Dead 2 but did anyway. The same people who said that the Modern Warfare 2 maps for $15 were a rip off but bought them anyway. You all want to make a statement about a game's worth? Quit bitching about it and decide with your wallet by not supporting this game.
#117 Posted by NoelVeiga (1115 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said:
" The things that annoy me most about modern gamers is the feeling of self-entitlement. "
#118 Posted by MachoFantastico (4888 posts) -

I was interested in NBA Jam HD after the quick look, but not even to pay full price.

#119 Posted by Andorski (5365 posts) -

Where was this price bitching when the Wii version was announced?
 
I'm really asking.  These comments have me dumbfounded.

#120 Posted by Tebbit (4484 posts) -
@VinceNotVance: Although L4D2 turned out to be excellent value for money, whereas NBA Jam is yet to prove whether it is or is not worth $50 bux. 
 
I can't comment on the MW2 map packs, because in New Zealand they were $30 (sure Activision, ignore the exchange rate why don't'cha) and... lets be realistic. That's a lot to pay for a few maps.
#121 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

Grow up, cheapskates. 
 
Yes, it was going to be free but only if you bought NBA Elite and it was going to be stripped of features. 

NBA Jam is worth full price any day of the week. It was like this on the SNES, the Megadrive, the PSX, the 64 (Hangtime) and even the remake on PS2.

#122 Posted by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -
@NoelVeiga said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" The things that annoy me most about modern gamers is the feeling of self-entitlement. "
"
Ya. It's really weird people want value out of the money they spend. 
#123 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -
@Sil3n7:  People were fine when they had to pay $60 dollars for the game (along with Elite - which many admitted they didn't want) and it had much less in the way of features.  This exact same game came out on the Wii, minus HD graphics and an online mode for the same exact price and no one bitched.  You're getting more than Wii gamers for the same amount of money, and the game reviewed well on the Wii.  That means most reviewers thought it was worth it for gamers to pick it up.  Adding two major features and releasing it on another console for the same price a month later means reviewers probably think it's an even better deal than what the Wii users got.  People just got in the mindset that it would be released cheaper because it was originally a stripped-down pack in.  They've added more to it, to make it on par with the Wii version, so it only makes sense that it would have price parity with that version.  If they added those two features and made it $30 cheaper like some gamers say they wanted/expected/deserved, that would be an enormous "Fuck you" to every gamer that bought it on the Wii.
#124 Posted by badwhodo (248 posts) -

I'm late to this thread and haven't read every comment but, to me, as a non-Wii owner and NBA Jam fan; I was totally psyched to hear that it was free with Elite. 
 
Flash forward to Elite being utter shit.  "NBA Jam is no longer free with purchase of our $60 Elite game; we shall, instead, charge $50 for said "free game" because our 
$60 game is a piece of shit and we can't fix as-mentioned piece of shit that quickly but, we love your money."    
 
I understand the stripped  features argument but would those 
stripped features equal to $50 worth of XBLM purchases?

#125 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -
@badwhodo said:

" I'm late to this thread and haven't read every comment but, to me, as a non-Wii owner and NBA Jam fan; I was totally psyched to hear that it was free with Elite.  Flash forward to Elite being utter shit.  "NBA Jam is no longer free with purchase of our $60 Elite game; we shall, instead, charge $50 for said "free game" because our $60 game is a piece of shit and we can't fix as-mentioned piece of shit that quickly but, we love your money."     I understand the stripped  features argument but would those stripped features equal to $50 worth of XBLM purchases? "

 Every game mode and feature in the game besides 2-on-2 online matches?  Probably, yes.  Just like many Wii gamers and reviewers stated when it came out last week.
#126 Posted by badwhodo (248 posts) -
@Wrighteous86: i did read those reviews and i do see your point, but; i don't think those "extras" are worth $50 on top of what was supposed to be a free game.  To me, its the slight of hand a company pulled to shadow a bad product with a good one.  Its bad business.
#127 Posted by MEATBALL (3468 posts) -

Rargh! I don't want to spend $50 on this game, EA must be evil!
 
Goddamn, guys. Grow up.

#128 Posted by RedHatDrew (336 posts) -

I really hate to say trite and cliche things, but in a case like this, it seems appropritate. 
 
*ahem* 
 
"lolumad, bro?" 
 
There I said it.

#129 Posted by None (70 posts) -

I guess I'll go find my old NBA Jam cartridge then.

#130 Posted by Metal_Mills (3046 posts) -

If this was $15 on XBLA I'd buy it in a second. Hell, I'd buy it at $20. But $50? Give me a break.

#131 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

Mmm, $40 is the sweet-spot on this game for me.  There just doesn't seem to be enough playtime value in it to warrant a $50 price tag.  On the other hand $40 puts it at the bargain price level in my mind, so I am willing to overlook a lot for that amount.   I'm going to hope that when the game drops next month, some online retailers have it on sale.  And, yes, $10 is a big enough price difference to keep me from buying a game.  It's the same amount (usually) that prevents me from wasting money on collector's editions, too.

#132 Posted by ProfessorEss (7513 posts) -

It'll be interesting to see how this goes down.
 
I think EA may be making a mistake here. Seems to me that they saw a lot of buzz surrounding NBA JAM, a lot of comments about how "I'm gonna buy Elite just to get JAM".
 
The question now is, how many of these people would've actually gone through with this when it was time for the money to change hands, and how many were exaggerating what they really thought it was worth just to express that they like NBA JAM?

#133 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

Ugggh I don't want to spend that much on this game
#134 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I like NBA Jam. This doesn't really feel like a fifty dollar game to me, though. I guess I view it in the perspective that I'd turn on my Sega Genesis to play a game of NBA Jam T.E., and that was pretty much it for the week. I like the series. It's goofy fun. I'm just not into it hardcore, and I think it might be hard for me to reason with myself that I would get the most out of it with fifty dollars, y'know? I don't know. I'll need to sit on this for a week or two before I decide whether I'll get it right now.

#135 Posted by Geralt (333 posts) -

 Why are some of you guys seem upset that people are complaining about things being to expensive?
That's what we do!

#136 Posted by Captainlunchbox (445 posts) -
@VinceNotVance said:
" @Sil3n7: That's fine that other people don't want to pay $50. If that's what they want,  they can probably get a copy new for less than $30 by March. I just think it's stupid that people are getting all uppity about this whole "value for the price" thing. It's like when Limbo came out & people bitched that it wasn't worth $15 because it was only 3 hours long and compared it to other XBLA games at the same (or lower) price. Don't compare it to anything else, you decide how much you are willing to spend on the game and go with that. NBA Jam isn't a gimped, half-assed game. EA believes it's worth $50. I feel that I'll most definitely get enjoyment out of the $50 I'll spend on that game.    
 
Also, this thread is probably full of the same people who said they weren't going to buy Left 4 Dead 2 but did anyway. The same people who said that the Modern Warfare 2 maps for $15 were a rip off but bought them anyway. You all want to make a statement about a game's worth? Quit bitching about it and decide with your wallet by not supporting this game. "
I agree with just about everything you said, but I feel the need to make this point: 
 
 EA doesn't believe it's worth 50 dollars- EA KNOWS there is a certain demographic with 2 very important aspects needed to sell this game: That demographic is people with 1.) Blind nostalgia, and 2.)  people who don't give a shit about where their money goes. 
 
If you don't fall into either one of these categories, don't buy the game. Just ignore it. Sure the people I named above are basically to blame for all the yesteryear rehashes and cash-ins, but don't let it get you down. Just don't buy the stuff. 
 
Also it's probably 50 dollars to try and recoup some of the losses incurred byt the delay of NBA Elite 11. I chuckled at that.
#137 Posted by garyoldman (29 posts) -

Yup. Its because Elite was pushed back

#138 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -
@Milkman said:

" I don't understand why everyone is so up in arms about this.. The Wii version is $50 and no one had a problem with that. Plus, this version is in HD and has online. The "free" version that came with Elite was just going to have Exhibition mode. That's like an eighth of the game.  "

 
  1. No one had a problem with the Wii version coming out at $50 because no one buys Wii games. Wii owners are used to being asked to pay full price for gimped versions of popular titles, so being asked to pay full retail for what would otherwise be an XBLA or PSN title seems par for the course.


2. The "free" version is all anyone cared about. No one could give a rat's ass about them including a myriad of single player modes, because honestly, it's SINGLE PLAYER. No one goes to a big head 2-on-2 basketball game for the campaign mode. In fact, they would have probably gladly paid 15 for the Vs mode only as a downloadable title.
 
 
This is going to sell terribly, however I'm pretty sure once they pop it onto the Games On Demand service for 20 bones, it'll outperform retail. Shame we'll all have to wait that long.
 
 

 
#139 Posted by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Sil3n7:  People were fine when they had to pay $60 dollars for the game (along with Elite - which many admitted they didn't want) and it had much less in the way of features.  This exact same game came out on the Wii, minus HD graphics and an online mode for the same exact price and no one bitched.  You're getting more than Wii gamers for the same amount of money, and the game reviewed well on the Wii.  That means most reviewers thought it was worth it for gamers to pick it up.  Adding two major features and releasing it on another console for the same price a month later means reviewers probably think it's an even better deal than what the Wii users got.  People just got in the mindset that it would be released cheaper because it was originally a stripped-down pack in.  They've added more to it, to make it on par with the Wii version, so it only makes sense that it would have price parity with that version.  If they added those two features and made it $30 cheaper like some gamers say they wanted/expected/deserved, that would be an enormous "Fuck you" to every gamer that bought it on the Wii. "
No it wouldn't
 
1. It was going to be free with elite 
2. Games on 360 and PS3 command higher standards and lower prices to be worth a damn. Their catalog is leaps and bounds greater than the Wii's. You only need to compete with whats on the platform. So the fact you say "oh the wii version was 50" doesnt mean anything because what does it have to compete with??
 
Answer: Nothing.
#140 Posted by MjHealy (1877 posts) -

But it's the same as the Wii version. Why is there so much bitching? I know that this is the internet but this is a nicer looker Wii version plus online for the same price.

#141 Posted by peppermario (4 posts) -

Funny how there wasn't this much bitching when the Wii version was announced for 50 dollars. 
 
Then if the game didn't sell because it was too expensive people would be like "See, Wii games don't sell." 
 
But now that it's coming out for the other consoles with more features and hd graphics all for the same price people are like, "HELL NO!!"

#142 Posted by slowbird (1756 posts) -
@MjHealy said:
" But it's the same as the Wii version. Why is there so much bitching? I know that this is the internet but this is a nicer looker Wii version plus online for the same price. "
people are greedy.  they want it all, they want it now, and they want it for free.
#143 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -
@Sil3n7 said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" @Sil3n7:  People were fine when they had to pay $60 dollars for the game (along with Elite - which many admitted they didn't want) and it had much less in the way of features.  This exact same game came out on the Wii, minus HD graphics and an online mode for the same exact price and no one bitched.  You're getting more than Wii gamers for the same amount of money, and the game reviewed well on the Wii.  That means most reviewers thought it was worth it for gamers to pick it up.  Adding two major features and releasing it on another console for the same price a month later means reviewers probably think it's an even better deal than what the Wii users got.  People just got in the mindset that it would be released cheaper because it was originally a stripped-down pack in.  They've added more to it, to make it on par with the Wii version, so it only makes sense that it would have price parity with that version.  If they added those two features and made it $30 cheaper like some gamers say they wanted/expected/deserved, that would be an enormous "Fuck you" to every gamer that bought it on the Wii. "
No it wouldn't 1. It was going to be free with elite  2. Games on 360 and PS3 command higher standards and lower prices to be worth a damn. Their catalog is leaps and bounds greater than the Wii's. You only need to compete with whats on the platform. So the fact you say "oh the wii version was 50" doesnt mean anything because what does it have to compete with??  Answer: Nothing. "

1.  It was going to have features removed, and a fuckload more people than not didn't want to buy Elite to get a gimped version. 
2.  So that's why PS3 and 360 games cost $60 new and Wii games cost $50 new? :P 
 
The PS3/360 version now not only gets the Wii content that would have been kept out of the bundle with Elite, but it also has the online play and it's the same price as the Wii version.  That should have made anyone who wanted it that was against getting it on the Wii or didn't have a Wii happy (key word being SHOULD).
 
To those complaining about this price, I'm just gonna say this:  if any of you complained before about having to buy Elite for $60 to get a gimped Jam and are bitching now about how a standalone Jam that has all the features plus online costs the same as the version without online, please just shut the fuck up.
#144 Edited by xombi242 (191 posts) -

I would have rather got this as a downloadable title. It's like paying $50.00 for a super deep HD X-Men arcade game in retail. 
 
This is just a glorified arcade game and I don't think I can personally pay retail prices for that.
And why do the consumers have to suffer for EA's incompetency from NBA Elite 11?
Now, we the consumers have to make up for their loss of sales like it's our fault. 

*sheep noise*

#145 Posted by killer_meatballs (483 posts) -

I was looking forward to this; I loved the original.   But $50?  I'll pass.

#146 Posted by KuribosShoe (640 posts) -

So people bitched that they put NBA Jam with Elite, and now they're bitching that it's a stand alone product.  That costs the same amount as the wii version.  Except it has online play so it's a better deal. 
 
That is what's happening.

#147 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -

Fuck nba elite and NBA 2k11  Nba jam is way better than both of those anyway.

#148 Posted by AshTDS (9 posts) -

If you want a good arcade basketball game for $15, pick up NBA Street Homecourt.  It is probably better than Jam anyway.
#149 Posted by EvilJester1214 (14 posts) -

it's cool
but it's not 50 dollar cool

#150 Posted by OmarStyles9 (30 posts) -

EA need to make an arcade spin off of Fifa for current consoles, and no I don't count Fifa Street 3 as that was just tragic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.