NBA Jam HD Is Coming, But You'll Have To Buy Elite 11 To Get It

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It's official-official: NBA Jam is coming to the Xbox 360 and PS3, but there are a couple of catches. First, you'll have be the proud owner of NBA Elite 11 in order to play it. Second, it's not the full version that is hitting the Wii this October.

EA has announced this morning that NBA Jam, presented in HD, will be a pack-in with fresh copies of Elite 11, the publishers' promising reboot of the NBA Live franchise. NBA Jam for Xbox 360 and PS3 will be a downloadable on the console's specific services. A download voucher, as you might suspect, is what will come with copies of Elite 11. 

EA is saying at the moment that this version of Jam won't be sold over PSN and Xbox Live Marketplace. The only way to get this HD version is to pay the full price--around 60 bones--for Elite 11, which hits on October 5.  (Or wait until EA starts charging for it on XBLM or PSN separately.)

This version of NBA Jam won't have all the features of its once-Wii-exclusive brother. It's hitting digital download services with Play Now, Classic Campaign, and Online modes of play, the notable omission being the Remix Tour mode, which includes Jam battles against NBA greats like Dennis Rodman or Magic Johnson. I'll note, though, that Classic Campaign will offer a similar tiered ladder-style mode that Jam fans should be familiar with. And It's still unknown at the moment if the Wii version of the game will support online play, so that might be an exclusive feature for this version of the game.

How much will you pay for a downloadable or a scaled back version of a game? Ask a Halo fan if that Crackdown $60 disc was worth the coin. That might help with the decision if you're on the fence--provided that EA doesn't offer NBA Jam HD on XBLM or PSN at some point in the future. Exclusivity is a funny thing.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It's official-official: NBA Jam is coming to the Xbox 360 and PS3, but there are a couple of catches. First, you'll have be the proud owner of NBA Elite 11 in order to play it. Second, it's not the full version that is hitting the Wii this October.

EA has announced this morning that NBA Jam, presented in HD, will be a pack-in with fresh copies of Elite 11, the publishers' promising reboot of the NBA Live franchise. NBA Jam for Xbox 360 and PS3 will be a downloadable on the console's specific services. A download voucher, as you might suspect, is what will come with copies of Elite 11. 

EA is saying at the moment that this version of Jam won't be sold over PSN and Xbox Live Marketplace. The only way to get this HD version is to pay the full price--around 60 bones--for Elite 11, which hits on October 5.  (Or wait until EA starts charging for it on XBLM or PSN separately.)

This version of NBA Jam won't have all the features of its once-Wii-exclusive brother. It's hitting digital download services with Play Now, Classic Campaign, and Online modes of play, the notable omission being the Remix Tour mode, which includes Jam battles against NBA greats like Dennis Rodman or Magic Johnson. I'll note, though, that Classic Campaign will offer a similar tiered ladder-style mode that Jam fans should be familiar with. And It's still unknown at the moment if the Wii version of the game will support online play, so that might be an exclusive feature for this version of the game.

How much will you pay for a downloadable or a scaled back version of a game? Ask a Halo fan if that Crackdown $60 disc was worth the coin. That might help with the decision if you're on the fence--provided that EA doesn't offer NBA Jam HD on XBLM or PSN at some point in the future. Exclusivity is a funny thing.
#2 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Sounds pretty good to me.

#3 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

They're fucking idiots for thinking people who like nba jam all like basketball. I would never buy a normal NBA game ever.

#4 Posted by Norusdog (344 posts) -

they're pretty stupid to go this route.  And obviously it'll be available seperately at some point.  They're really alienating a number of sales by doing this.  I loved the JAM series, but don't care for BBall games in particular.  Most people aren't going to buy a game they don't want or barely/don't care about just to be able to play JAM HD.  Of course some will bite but this makes no sense..overall they'd get more sales and money if they were both stand-alone.

oh well.  Guess I'll wait.  no way am I paying $60 for JAM HD.

#5 Posted by StillVictor (150 posts) -

This is unexpected.

#6 Posted by RJPelonia (855 posts) -

Still getting it for the Wii.

#7 Posted by WillyFourEyes (82 posts) -

Meh. I was only planning on getting the Wii version anyway. High-def gaming, while nice, isn't all that important to me.

#8 Posted by OmegaAmen (42 posts) -

I will wait for NBA Jam HD to be offered on PSN. I doubt this exclusive tie-in with Elite will last long.

#9 Posted by heat (190 posts) -

What? Fuck that.

#10 Posted by Cirdain (3043 posts) -

meh! for jah jam.

#11 Posted by adoggz (2060 posts) -

well, sports games do depreciate in value very quickly. won't take that long for this to be cheep enough to buy just for Jam.

#12 Posted by Rayeth (1033 posts) -

LAME.   I don't want to buy a Wii for NBA Jam, and I certainly don't want to buy some basketball game for it either.  If they don't offer it as a standalone product they won't get any money from me.

#13 Posted by bhhawks78 (1203 posts) -

Too bad nba live/elite has been AWFUL for over a decade and even buggy as hell 2k makes it look like total garbage. 

#14 Posted by Tetley (18 posts) -

This is disappointing to say the least.

#15 Posted by RIVERSIDER (27 posts) -

Bad move EA

#16 Posted by Budkin (85 posts) -

This is a bunch of bullshit. I'm a 2K guy and don't have any desire to play Elite but I would have gladly given EA money for NBA Jam HD. But not through this con. I'll stick to the Wii edition.

#17 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

No thanks!

#18 Posted by CowboyBebopper (170 posts) -

Ouch, my balls. This one hurts big time...

#19 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

GOD DAMB IT AND I WANTED THIS. O well time to go buy the cabnet.

#20 Posted by flamingBurrito (25 posts) -

Bullshit. I'm just going to get the wii version.

#21 Posted by PAPI_D_187 (46 posts) -

This business is getting ridiculous

#22 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

Buy a SIMULATION no one wants that will be worth nothing the same time next year to get an HD remix of a beloved ARCADE basketball game. Anyone else see a contradiction here?

#23 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

FUUUUCKK YOUUUUU. This sucks, I was so excited to get a new NBA Jam game but now I have to buy the shittier, now even more shittier, of the two basketball games to get it.

#24 Posted by Kontrapunkt (413 posts) -

WHAT? Arghhh, and the remix tour looked like the best part. So it's 60$ or 200 and some $. Which shockingly seems like the better option.

#25 Posted by Se7enthSamurai (83 posts) -

No one is still going to buy that piece of shit NBA Elite anyway. So fuck you EA.

#26 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

Thats actually a pretty good deal and a great way for EA to fight the used game market.

#27 Posted by GeekWhenSpoken2 (48 posts) -

Still not sure of my feelings on this. I haven't enojoyed an EA made NBA game since last gen, and now I'm actually considering buying Elite 11 just to play NBA Jam in HD. Surely this must be EA's plan after all, but is this EA showing no confidence in Elite 11, and moreover does this mean what I'm really considering, is if I would actually pay $60 for a gimped version of NBA Jam?

#28 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

Looks like a definite catch-22 situation. The only solution I can come up with is to not buy either version.

#29 Posted by supgam (4 posts) -

mmm. nice news.

#30 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -

Sounds confusing.

I was so excited for this NBA Jam reboot - but EA seems to be killing its own buzz around the game with all of these different, contradictory and simply confusing press releases. 

@cap123 said:

" They're fucking idiots for thinking people who like nba jam all like basketball. I would never buy a normal NBA game ever. "
Completely agree. The original NBA Jam franchise spoke to a wider audience than the pure basketball fan, and this reboot was primed to re-capture this casual audience. Forcing people to purchase something they don't want in order to play something they DO want is counter-intuitive and seems short-sighted. 

I really feel bad for those closely involved with the development of the game. Its tough when you put so much effort into launching a product only to have someone else determine how it gets distributed.
#31 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I hate when you douchebags use "bones" to account for a sum of money.

#32 Posted by HT101 (1153 posts) -

Another person who will be waiting for this to come out on Live.  Don't know why EA thinks fans of NBA Jam are also fans of regular basketball games.

#33 Posted by jayhall (41 posts) -

chyeah
#34 Posted by JarenFace (205 posts) -

Wii version it is then. As much as I'd love to have an HD version with online play, pretty sure I'd get the most mileage out of it through playing it with friends in our living rooms since I can't really move my PS3 around =\

Though this is a huge bummer. A $15 pricetag (Hell possibly $20) attached to the downloaded version wouldn't be shabby at all.

#35 Posted by jamr_mx (44 posts) -

I´ll skip it

#36 Posted by Altered_Confusion (197 posts) -

The way I heard it EA has NO plans for the PSN or XBLA, and the version of NBA Jam that comes with NBA Elite 11 is just a glorified demo. Well look at it this way the resale value will be extra cheap since its a one time code, and to be honest I won't touch EA Sports games with a 30 foot pole, I've always been a 2K sports guy (with the exception of NCAA College Football).

#37 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

I loved NBA Jam in arcades and on the SNES, but that's probably the only basketball game I ever liked. I'll just wait for NBA Jam HD TE to hit XBLA Arcade at some point. :/

#38 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2467 posts) -

stockholders > customers

#39 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

I hope it gets released later. Not gonna buy a full game I don\t want to play a downloadable game.

#40 Posted by Ghostmut (19 posts) -

not fair

#41 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

Not interested.  Unless I can somehow play as Scorpion in the round.

#42 Posted by TooWalrus (13155 posts) -

I am going to play on the Wii. I'm also considering buying a couple of classic controllers, I'm kinda into the idea of playing GoldenEye online with basically Call of Duty controls on the Wii. I don't know why that appeals to me, but for some reason it does.

#43 Posted by G0DF4TH3R (119 posts) -

there is going to be a backlash for this

#44 Posted by radioactivez0r (839 posts) -

Since sports games get yearly updates, we'll know long before Elite 11 hits the clearance rack if the downloadable version is even worth playing.  Then if it is, Elite 11 can probably be had for under $20 once '12 gets announced.

#45 Posted by Liam_mk (290 posts) -

That head is amazing.

#46 Posted by Bubblechucker (2 posts) -

Totally agree with Cap123.  I want NBA Jam, not NBA Elite...I have no interest in it whatsoever.

#47 Posted by Blair (2502 posts) -

Fuck that.

#48 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" I hate when you douchebags use "bones" to account for a sum of money. "
hahahaha...says the guy with a big ol' butt for his avatar.
#49 Posted by uk3doorsdown (2 posts) -

can't wait to Jam it up basketball games have been very lame as of late

#50 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -

This is really fucking weird. You pay $60 for one game, to get another free HD game with less modes but online multiplayer, or $40-50 for an SD game with more modes but possibly no online multiplayer (but probably gimped online features).

And of course, that's ignoring that within a year, there'll probably be a $15 "NBA JAM Gold Tournament Edition" with ALL the modes on both downloadable services.

What a weird situation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.