Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

near Support

Concept »

Some PlayStation Vita games can upload unlockable items, lap times, and other game data as virtual geocaches using the built-in "near" application.

Does Near do anything if you only have wi-fi version?

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Muerthoz

I've tried using Near using the internet connection at home and at work and it just says "could not obtain data for your location". I've also driven around town to see if it picks up anything from Best buy, Gamestop, Walmart, etc. but haven't had any luck with that either. Do wi-fi users need to have people added to their friends in order to get anything out of Near or does it just not work for wi-fi only Vitas?

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Chris2KLee

I got it working on my Wi-Fi version, picked up some game goods yesterday to. Might be an issue with you sharing settings? That, or maybe there aren't that many people in your area with Vitas.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Muerthoz

Yeah, I don't think too many people in my area take their portable systems out of the house much. I've had my 3DS since launch day and I still haven't had any visitors on it.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpaceRunaway

The way I understand "near", which is not much at all, I don't think proximity is that much of an issue. I think there might be something with your settings.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Muerthoz

While trying to find a solution, I read a bunch of forum posts that said the Vita's wi-fi locator uses data from Skyhook and that if it can't get info for your location, then you might need to register your wireless access point. I registered my access point with them http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php on Sunday and was finally able to get location data from Near on Friday night before I went to work. I don't know if that's the solution for everyone who is having issues but it worked for others and so far it's working for me.

After I got home from work, I saw that it picked up more users during my drive home. I don't know why it couldn't see these users before. I could be wrong but my best guess is that it needed a "home" point to start from.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

@Muerthoz said:

While trying to find a solution, I read a bunch of forum posts that said the Vita's wi-fi locator uses data from Skyhook and that if it can't get info for your location, then you might need to register your wireless access point. I registered my access point with them http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php on Sunday and was finally able to get location data from Near on Friday night before I went to work. I don't know if that's the solution for everyone who is having issues but it worked for others and so far it's working for me.

After I got home from work, I saw that it picked up more users during my drive home. I don't know why it couldn't see these users before. I could be wrong but my best guess is that it needed a "home" point to start from.

Cool thanks for posting this, one of the reasions i would have gotten a 3G Vita would have been for the near functionality, but hearing that it works on the Wi-FI version i think, after i buy my new computer in a few weeks. i will buy a vita.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.