Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

First impressions

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

Edited By falconer

So this is like Hot Pursuit 2 + Burnout 3: Takedown. No lie. 

I could probably just end it there, but I'll go on a bit more. I've played it for about an hour and a half now. A handful of racer events, and a handful of cop events. It's been so very long since I played HP2 but the Racer races seem like they're out of HP2, but with the new stuff in there (not a bad thing). The rest of the game seems to have the standard array of Burnout type events. 

Racer events also include a "duel", or just you racing against one other car, and you get that car if you win. There's a Burning Route type one where you must get from point A to B in a set amount of time in a faster car you have yet to unlock (straight out of B3, all Burnout games have had them since then, but B3 had more point to point stuff (yes Paradise was all point to point, but the roads were open as well)). 

The Cops have a similar type event, where you must get to a racer bust in a set amount of time. There's a catch here though. Any time you so much as lightly tap a wall (or another car, duh) you get docked 2 seconds from your final time. Thaaaat's a big pain in the ass. And of course you bust Racers as a Cop (like Road Rage events from Burnout if you've never played Hot Pursuit). 

The game is also nice about slowly introducing the special items to you as you play. It would be pretty messed up to have them all right away with the slower cars. So far I've only gotten far enough to use the spike strip with both the Racers and Cops. 

I'm still trying to get used to the different handling cars (you REALLY can't play this like a Burnout game), but it certainly plays well. As expected from Criterion, this is a top notch game.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By falconer

So this is like Hot Pursuit 2 + Burnout 3: Takedown. No lie. 

I could probably just end it there, but I'll go on a bit more. I've played it for about an hour and a half now. A handful of racer events, and a handful of cop events. It's been so very long since I played HP2 but the Racer races seem like they're out of HP2, but with the new stuff in there (not a bad thing). The rest of the game seems to have the standard array of Burnout type events. 

Racer events also include a "duel", or just you racing against one other car, and you get that car if you win. There's a Burning Route type one where you must get from point A to B in a set amount of time in a faster car you have yet to unlock (straight out of B3, all Burnout games have had them since then, but B3 had more point to point stuff (yes Paradise was all point to point, but the roads were open as well)). 

The Cops have a similar type event, where you must get to a racer bust in a set amount of time. There's a catch here though. Any time you so much as lightly tap a wall (or another car, duh) you get docked 2 seconds from your final time. Thaaaat's a big pain in the ass. And of course you bust Racers as a Cop (like Road Rage events from Burnout if you've never played Hot Pursuit). 

The game is also nice about slowly introducing the special items to you as you play. It would be pretty messed up to have them all right away with the slower cars. So far I've only gotten far enough to use the spike strip with both the Racers and Cops. 

I'm still trying to get used to the different handling cars (you REALLY can't play this like a Burnout game), but it certainly plays well. As expected from Criterion, this is a top notch game.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

found it helpful when i learned to use the e-brake around tight corners. 
    i was driving in free roam up the snowy mountains and got a direct NFSIII: Hot Pursuit vibe out of it which made me wonder if they emulated tracks from the past series. 
    So far i'm enjoying the single player, have not played any multiplayer yet

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ArchScabby

I've played it for a little while and kinda love it.  It's an awesome old school racing game, modernized for the idiots of today.  Takes me back, sonny

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By falconer
    @Sin4profit: Same here. I figured out that it's best to use the e-brake on those >90 degree turns. You keep a surprising amount of speed when you do that.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By falconer
    @ArchScabby said:
    " I've played it for a little while and kinda love it.  It's an awesome old school racing game, modernized for the idiots of today.  Takes me back, sonny "
    Heh, yeah. I think it's directly comparable to Burnout 3. Just like it, you're given a world map with events scattered to different locations. All you have to do is pick what you want to do, pick your car, and GO. 

I believe that works well for what this game was trying to be. Epic drives through great locales, and some cop chases too. Yeah, it doesn't really take any chances, but this is Criterion's first try at this. There will surely be another one. They will of course build upon everything they did right in the game, and fix what they didn't do right.
    Marmaladebrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Marmaladebrat
    @Sin4profit:
    I enjoyed my first go at the game last night. I have to try the e-brake. I was having some problems drifting. 

This is my first take at a Need For Speed or Burnout game again in a couple of years, so I need to get back in the groove again. (Yep, I skipped Burnout Paradise, shame on me.)
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikkaQ
    @ShaggyChu Yes yes and yes. You're spot on for saying this is HP2 and B3 combined. Nothing is truer. And those were my favorite racing games of the past generation, so it's safe to say it's left me with a good first impression.

It feels hard to win online though but it seems like at least nothing is decided till the last mile. Intense stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.