Getting Smoked on Corners

#1 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -

Seems like even if I take a corner at near top speed, stay on the pavement, and boost on the exit.... I'm getting smoked by the NPC drivers, am I missing some obvious core gameplay mechanic somehow? This very thing seems to affect my "burning route" levels where I drive the expensive cars a whole lot really fast and I always miss the Gold by about 2-3 seconds if not less. 

Pointers?

#2 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

Are you tapping the brake once before going into the corner while holding the accelerator? Or are you just lifting your finger off the accelerator and slamming it back down to take it? Latter works best for long, shallow turns, former for hairpins. Otherwise, try not to drift and maintain the racing line for maximum speed. Also avoid most shortcuts in low slung exotics as the gravel will slow you down more so than the brevity of the route will cut down your total distance. 

As for the NPC drivers, the rubber banding is pretty bad although, fortunately, they always back off for the last mile or two if you've been doing well. I think Criterion understands just how annoying a last minute loss due to magical opponent speed boosts can be. I've actually seen NPC's slow down considerably once I'm ahead on the home stretch which is nice.

#3 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -

I usually treat the brake as a "toggle switch" for drifting around most corners if not all. Once in the apex of the turn I'll usually boost right out of it. Mostly this is only an issue with the "timed runs" with the exotic cars which seems to be impossible for me.

#4 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -

Any pro tips appreciated besides the above already helpful comment. @Vitor helped me out a lot in recent events but I must still be missing something.

#5 Posted by Falconer (1684 posts) -

I use the brake purely for drifting as well. I am always 100% on the gas however. I prefer to adjust myself by just increasing or decreasing my angle. If I feel like I lost too much speed at any point through the turn I'll decrease my angle. Conversely, if I get in too hot I'll increase my angle. I never stay the same angle though, and I constantly make minor corrections when going through a turn.

#6 Posted by mwng (931 posts) -
@Vitor said:
"As for the NPC drivers, the rubber banding is pretty bad although, fortunately, they always back off for the last mile or two if you've been doing well. I think Criterion understands just how annoying a last minute loss due to magical opponent speed boosts can be. I've actually seen NPC's slow down considerably once I'm ahead on the home stretch which is nice."
I played a bunch of it today and I think this is truer than anything. They're simply able to make turns that you can't, because they're NPCs. Just continue drifting as you are and hope they'll slow down for you or hit something on the straights. 

As for the timed runs in exotic cars ALWAYS BE BOOSTING.
#7 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -

I think I'm starting to get the hang of drifting really well, but the timed runs are still killing me, oh well. Thank god the Holiday break is upon us next week.

#8 Posted by Mattzz10 (496 posts) -

I also found that WHEN you press the break is important in keeping your speed around a turn... and also, this game does a great job of making you feel like a badass when you hit a turn perfectly.

#9 Edited by jellysnake (48 posts) -

I'm alright with hairpins and shallow corners, it's those damn 45 degree ones that always get me.  I usually lift off but I'll try the always on method next time. 

Edit: D'oh, I meant 90 degree (It was 4am, that's my excuse and I'm sticking by it).

#10 Posted by Sin4profit (2924 posts) -
@UnlivedPhalanx:  my experience with the time runs, seems like it's a matter of taking advantage of all the shortcuts on the map to get the gold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.