ON INDEFINITE HIATUS
Please disregard all the information below, as Hot Pursuit Race Night: The Big Showdown is currently on an indefinite hiatus. The information is being retained for historical purposes, in the event Hot Pursuit Race Night starts back up in the future.
Every Sunday Night, 9:00 PM ET (6:00 PM PT) on Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network
until we get tired
WHAT WE DO
- Do you like playing Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit?
- Would you like to play it online against other crazy Giant Bomb users?
If so, Yo. You should join us.
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit's a lot of fun in multiplayer. Think of it as a mix between the good parts of the original Hot Pursuit, Burnout, and Blur. It's a good thing, trust me.
Anyways, Pax, Magicallystoopid, and I are veterans of Giant Bomb Forza Race Night, and we'd like find some Giant Bomb duders to run Hot Pursuit and street races against one another in a weekly get-together. It's a good way to level up and have fun while chatting amongst like-minded folks. We have some other crazy race ideas in mind, but we need to experiment with what the multiplayer does and doesn't allow beforehand.
HOW TO JOIN
- First, make sure you can join us at the slated time.Here's a good conversion for the various time zones. If you can't join us, you might be better off jumping into this thread instead. Same deal if you own the PC version of Hot Pursuit, since right now we're rolling on the Xbox 360 and PS3 only.
- If you can join us, send PAX MORTE and/or Laz PsEG friend requests on Xbox LIVE, or haikufrenzy on PSN. It wouldn't hurt to send a message or post in this thread so that we know you're looking to play NFS, but we should be able to discern who's who based on what games you're playing. If you become a regular and start showing up for a couple of weeks, we suggest you befriend every other regular who attends. It makes for a better Autolog experience, and if we get more than eight people, you can start a second private lobby to grab anyone else who's left out.
- This is important, especially if you have an Xbox 360! There is an update you need to manually download for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. Sometimes the game will alert you, but more often than not you'll just have to go into the Games Marketplace, and find it under Add-ons (it'll be called Game Update v1.2 or something similar). Download it. You'll need this update to play with us; otherwise, when trying to join our game, it will tell you you have a different version. If you played Burnout Paradise back in the day, a lot of this might sound familiar.
- This step's optional, but I'd suggest you go to your Autolog on the NFS website and update your picture to something more interesting or fitting, be it a real pic of you or your avatar. Those generic template images the game uses look ugly.
- This step's also optional, and geared towards PS3 users. If you have a PS3, you should set up a Bluetooth headset so you can chat with other racers. It makes the festivities a little more fun, I think, so long as everyone's being cool/humorous and not a jackass. Within the spoiler tag is a step-by-step list conveniently put together by Magicallystoopid on how to get your headset working on a PS3:
Step 1: Find out the process for setting up your Bluetooth headset to sync with a device. Generally, this involves holding the call button on it, but check your headset’s instructions just to make sure.
Step 2: Go to the Settings section of your PlayStation 3’s menu. From there, select Accessory Settings, and then Manage Bluetooth Devices (which should be about five spaces down).
Step 3: From here, go to Register New Device. It will prompt you to turn on your Bluetooth device to transmit for syncing. Do so, then select Start Scanning. If everything works correctly, the PlayStation should pick up your Bluetooth device and have it on the previous screen listed.
Step 4: Finally, go down about two spaces from the Bluetooth devices option on the accessory settings menu to Audio Device Settings. Here, press X, and select what the volume of your voice’s output from the device will be, followed with what will be the input and output devices. Generally, this should be the same Bluetooth headset. You can also test it out here to get a feel for how good the headset works both in your voice quality and the sound quality when you speak. (PsEG's note: I would test your headset if I were you, as it helps to know if you're getting a good volume with the placement of the headset. Nobody wants to be the dude that's too quiet or coming through distorted!)
- Finally, show up sometime around 9:00 PM ET, and either join in our lobby or wait for us to fire an invite your way. Then we'll race or battle on the roads of Seacrest. It may be bloody, but we're out to have fun in the end, right?
FINAL THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Skill level doesn't matter.
Personally, I'm pretty crappy at Hot Pursuit, especially as a racer. We're just looking for people who can have fun and aren't complete assholes. You're not one of those complete assholes, are you? Of course you're not.
It's OK to be late to The Big Showdown.
We start at 9:00 PM ET, but we'll probably run an hour or two each Sunday, so if you arrive a little late, unless the lobby's full, we'll try to get you in ASAP.
Don't worry if you can only stick around for a race or two.
We'd love to have you join us regardless. It's about getting Giant Bomb together to do fun stuff together, yeah? I'm going to drive that point home until you get it.