Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

How's the online feeling?

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By XTraFries

Tis the season for awesome games all coming out at once! I've been looking for new games for my new console for this christmas (finally picking up a ps3 after only rocking the 360 for the last 4 years), and feel like getting my hands on a classy racing game. I haven't played a racing game seriously since Burnout: Paradise (one hell of a game). 

I was thinking of picking up a copy of Blur, which I have played a good bit of with a friend of mine and I dig the feel quite a bit. However, that game being 6 months old and not knowing how populated the online community is, I feel I'd be better off getting a newer title. 

This is where NFS: HP comes in. From what I've heard it seems to fit the bill, but I can't find much information on how the online is structured.  

Any of you classy gents who have the game: How are the multiplayer modes? Is the whole cops-and-robbers aspect of single player made to good use with some hectic multiplayer cop chases? Also, how does the game itself feel, in terms of the driving itself? 

Any information is appreciated greatly, and shall be met with gifts. 

hyperfludd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By hyperfludd

Yes, the online Cops vs Racers mode is indeed hetic. With racers, theres this co-op/versus element in where you do want to work together to take out the cops, but you also want to be first. Minor mindgames are played as the cops stick together to take them down. Some bumps here or there though, a few of my fellow cops keep EMP'ing me. 

As for the first place Racer...good luck. NOBODY likes you.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By animateria

Garbage... 

Primarily because my copy of the game is still in transit... (I.... want... it..... baaaaaaaaaaaad!)

I probably will have a different point of view once I get my hands on the game though.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By XTraFries
    @Hyperfludd: how is the handling of the cars feeling so far? 

I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@XTraFries said:
    " @Hyperfludd: how is the handling of the cars feeling so far?  I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about it. "
    They're definitely heavier feeling than Burnout cars.  There's still that good sense of speed you get from the Burnout games, but there's this huge new sense of weight.  They won't hydroplane as fast as you'd think, so you can really do some long drifts without constantly losing control, but you need to be conservative with how you try to swerve around.  You turn the car 30 degrees, but its inertia doesn't immediately change.  The courses rarely have big wide-open turns or intersections, so you find your play to be way more deliberate than in Burnout.  It gives the collisions this real high-risk high-reward feel, as boosting and missing can be tragic, but a solid hit is super rewarding.  It's an interesting take, since most series seem to either want their cars to handle super grippy or super floaty.
    XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By XTraFries
    @Brodehouse: hmm....that actually sounds really interesting. 

I just watched the quick look and I'm really liking what I see. 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Seppli

As far as 'Hot Pursuit' mode goes, I don't know yet for sure. Only played 2 rounds thus far. While the moment to moment gameplay is fun, I feel like it's nigh impossible for the Cops Team to actually win the round. As I said, didn't play it much yet and I will reserve judgement for later.

Interceptor, the 1 cop versus 1 racer mode in the open world, is GREAT! So much fun racing against friends and strangers alike.

There's one other mode, which I haven't tried yet - probably regular races, which should be great, becaus Hot Pursuit is the best arcade racer I've ever played in the driving and controls department!

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By falconer
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @XTraFries said:
    " @Hyperfludd: how is the handling of the cars feeling so far?  I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about it. "
    They're definitely heavier feeling than Burnout cars.  There's still that good sense of speed you get from the Burnout games, but there's this huge new sense of weight.  They won't hydroplane as fast as you'd think, so you can really do some long drifts without constantly losing control, but you need to be conservative with how you try to swerve around.  You turn the car 30 degrees, but its inertia doesn't immediately change.  The courses rarely have big wide-open turns or intersections, so you find your play to be way more deliberate than in Burnout.  It gives the collisions this real high-risk high-reward feel, as boosting and missing can be tragic, but a solid hit is super rewarding.  It's an interesting take, since most series seem to either want their cars to handle super grippy or super floaty. "

Throttle control plays into good, precise drifting as well I think, unlike Burnout games. 

As for the online, I'm waiting until this weekend to delve into it. My Burnout buds are all European so my first foray will be with them. I will take part in whatever Race Night Laz puts together though too.
    hyperfludd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By hyperfludd

It's real good. No doubt! I still need to get used to drifting though, almost always do a full spin like an idiot.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

The online feels like some frantic hollywood car chase. Each match feels unique and the thrill you get for pulling off crazy maneuvers or takedows is amazing.

My only complaint is that it's really hard to win, and a lot of my losses and wins feel more luck based than anything. Really fun though!

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By gunharp

@Brodehouse:
    @Hyperfludd:  

^Those guys pretty much summed it up. 

If you liked Split/Second or Burnout this game is for you.

The controls take a little getting used to and there is a lot of different cars with some major differences in their handling characterstics, but each one is practically pick up and play.  

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By XTraFries

Thanks for the feedback everybody. 

Stoked to get my copy :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.