Install is borked

#1 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4691 posts) -

Got HP in the steam sale, downloaded it, then when it goes through the thing that every steam game does where it installs a bunch of stuff, it gets stuck on the configuration tool... right AFTER that very configuration tools pops up. Google has no results, and nobody seems to be having the same problem on the steam forums. Help?

#2 Posted by RVonE (4623 posts) -

Did you try re-installing it? Sounds silly, but Steam can be weird like that sometimes.
#3 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -

Try verifying the game cache through steam. What is your hardware? 

I downloaded the game through D2D before it was on Steam, can you clarify what the configuration tool is? Is it the splash screen where you are supposed to pick resolutions and so on?

#4 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4691 posts) -

If I have to re-install it I will cry, took 10 hours to download.
@warxsnake said:

" Try verifying the game cache through steam. What is your hardware?  I downloaded the game through D2D before it was on Steam, can you clarify what the configuration tool is? Is it the splash screen where you are supposed to pick resolutions and so on? "

Yep, that's the config thingie that's coming up. I'm assuming that is the same config tool that it says it's installing. If I open the folder, it's called ConfigTool.

AMD Phenom II x2 545 3 GHz
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5500
#5 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4691 posts) -

Oh and I've done the verification thing, it came back fine.

#6 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -

Try going to the game's DIR and launching it from the game's exe (NFS11.exe) 
In the DIR there is  
ConfigTool.exe  
Launcher.exe  
NFS11.exe

#7 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4691 posts) -

lol, so I opened up task manager and there were like 12 instances of ConfigTool.exe open. Closed them all down and it's fine now.

#8 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -

Woot! Have fun

#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4691 posts) -

Ugh, now it says my CD key is invalid. Screw this game!

#10 Posted by TylerNerd (28 posts) -

it 's the same thing that happened to trials hd during the sale, there are too many people trying to verify and the server is suffering for it, just keep trying, it'll work eventually

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.