Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit's Next DLC Might Be Free

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Word on the street is that Criterion Games' Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a solid iteration in the Hot Pursuit sub-franchise, a successful return to the series' roots. With such well earned acclaim, it wouldn't be proper for Criterion to walk off and start working on something else. There's still DLC to capitalize on, right?

Right. DLC is something Criterion is focusing on post-launch, and the third DLC pack for the racer might just be careening towards owners for the low, low price of free… if certain needs are met. Over on the NFS: HP blog, a recent post states that if the below video hits one million views by December 12, a three-car DLC pack will be released as a "little holiday gift" to owners of the game.

Free or paid, the pack will boast this selection of supercar convertibles: the Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, the Lamborghini Murciélago LP 650-4 Roadster, and the Dodge Viper SRT10 Convertible Final Edition. I drive a Hyundai, so I've nothing to add to this post about these optional cars, though, I'd imagine they're really, really fast. Also, they're probably loud. Here's some pics:  

Even if you're not down with NFS: HP, at least click on the video. Isn't this the season to give? Think of all the people you'll be helping out!

[Thanks for the tip, David!]
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Word on the street is that Criterion Games' Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a solid iteration in the Hot Pursuit sub-franchise, a successful return to the series' roots. With such well earned acclaim, it wouldn't be proper for Criterion to walk off and start working on something else. There's still DLC to capitalize on, right?

Right. DLC is something Criterion is focusing on post-launch, and the third DLC pack for the racer might just be careening towards owners for the low, low price of free… if certain needs are met. Over on the NFS: HP blog, a recent post states that if the below video hits one million views by December 12, a three-car DLC pack will be released as a "little holiday gift" to owners of the game.

Free or paid, the pack will boast this selection of supercar convertibles: the Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, the Lamborghini Murciélago LP 650-4 Roadster, and the Dodge Viper SRT10 Convertible Final Edition. I drive a Hyundai, so I've nothing to add to this post about these optional cars, though, I'd imagine they're really, really fast. Also, they're probably loud. Here's some pics:  

Even if you're not down with NFS: HP, at least click on the video. Isn't this the season to give? Think of all the people you'll be helping out!

[Thanks for the tip, David!]
#2 Edited by Hippolord (25 posts) -

Cool, I'm glad need for speed is back on its feet.

#3 Posted by nikopeters (84 posts) -

I remember playing an old ame on the PC it was the shit! Can't wait to play the new one.

#4 Posted by ESREVER (2684 posts) -

Doesn't surprise me. Criterion has always been super cool about handling DLC. 

Release a couple of DLC installments for free to the players, then when it comes to charge for a big DLC item, player's won't mind as much because of the previous quality DLC they have received. 

Those crafty marketers!

#5 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

It's at 350,000 views, not bad.

#6 Posted by Apollo87 (148 posts) -

I've watched the video a couple of times, I don't have the game and don't plan to get it soon but it is to help fellow gamers on getting free stuff.

#7 Posted by Zealousadonis (133 posts) -

Maybe they will follow what they did in Burnout Paradise and add free motorcycle DLC. I think bike police chases could have some potential.

#8 Posted by Cypher (114 posts) -

Ohhh-ho-ho-ho-ho, that is some clever viral marketing. Create an incentive for people to get other people to watch a trailer? Not bad.

#9 Posted by Hyperfludd (373 posts) -

I do enjoy the free things. Viva Criterion!

#10 Posted by PurpleSpandex (282 posts) -

I'm down with freelc, I mean who isn't?

#11 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

dodge viper is a terrible car :/

#12 Posted by GreggD (4490 posts) -
@fillmoejoe said:
" It's at 350,000 views, not bad. "
It would be even better if it was closer to the million mark than it was last week, which it's not by much.
#13 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

Didn't EA do a similar thing with BF 1943?  It wasn't a video but after a certain amount of total kills in-game a mode would unlock.  Is this actual dlc or is this content that is already on the disc, just locked away?

#14 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

dont have it but im always down to help the cause! prob get it down the road when its cheaper. i used to really like the old hot pursuit.

#15 Posted by Wuddel (2092 posts) -

Seing all that NFS (and thats cool I will buy at at some point) just makes me want another burnout. Maybe they holding out for the next console.

#16 Posted by Colossus75 (2 posts) -

Gotta love Criterion for free DLC....um...I mean EA.

#17 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Got this one yesterday and I am hooked. This is one heck of a game.

#18 Posted by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

I did my part!

#19 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

I don't even own this game and I still watched it. Cheerios!

#20 Posted by JakeTaylor (309 posts) -

HEY GUYS! COMMENT RATE AND LIKE! DON'T FORGET TO HIT THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON!! LIKE THIS VIDEO TOO PLEASE. COMMENT ASWELL!

#21 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Greatest Arcade Racing Game ever. Emphasis on RACING!

Just love the drifiting mechanics and controls. So tight. So physical. And damn. This game's insane fast.

Better click on the damn video a couple of times. Too bad it's not more of a music video or I'd queue it up on my youtube workout playlist.

#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

That video is most popular in RUSSIA...

#23 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

I demand pics of the Hyundai.

#24 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Hah, using my time machine, I am getting people to unview it!  There goes your free DLC.

#26 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1683 posts) -

I played this game for about 12 straight hours on Saturday; it's really addicting, especially with all the Autolog stuff constantly challenging the player. Multiplayer is a fucking blast as well. Love it!

#27 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Cypher said:
" Ohhh-ho-ho-ho-ho, that is some clever viral marketing. Create an incentive for people to get other people to watch a trailer? Not bad. "
at least they arent asking us to tweet something.
#28 Posted by vmehnert (224 posts) -

who doesnt love FreeLC?

#29 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Would love it if more studios put out trailers or behind the scenes goodness that resulted in free DLC. Hard to go wrong with that idea especially when it's a game like this or Burnout where there might have been a bunch of cars on the cutting room floor due to lack of space on the disc.

#30 Posted by AbandonedFreak (4 posts) -

cant wait
#31 Posted by Diablochicken14 (114 posts) -

Hopefully Need for Speed will get as much DLC love as burnout

#32 Posted by ljrepoman (31 posts) -

good news

#33 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

eh almost at 400k with 2 weeks to go, should be do-able. Here is hoping for free DLC for me when my copy comes in.

#34 Posted by ProjekD (12 posts) -

Looks interesting

#35 Posted by Ayreon54 (4 posts) -

Well, clicked the video, so hope the people who are enjoying the game get some extra content. I'm still not sure if I'm going to get this one, maybe later when the price drops.

#36 Posted by Shorty (20 posts) -
@fillmoejoe:

It's up to 418,000 views now.

#37 Posted by blalala (122 posts) -

Halfway now, only 6 days left though...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.