This is pretty much Burnout paradise 2 isn't it?

#1 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

If you haven't seen the gameplay that was just shown on EA's conference, check it out, it looks amazing, and that shouldn't be a surprise since it is Criterion. But after I saw a bunch of the elements, such as jump/speed rankings via autolog, and collecting billboard crashes, it absolutely seems like a spiritual successor to Paradise. Not to mention this is open world. What do you guys think, does this make up for the lack of burnout lately, or will you skip this?

#2 Posted by Daiphyer (1332 posts) -

I still can't get over the name.

Need For Speed: Most Wanted a Criterion game.

What were they thinking?

#3 Posted by NegativeCero (2988 posts) -

Lets just go with yes. You'll be happier that way. Does Need for Speed have the crashing Burnout has? I've never played one, so I'm not sure. Otherwise, I think it looks really good.

#4 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

Seems like Hot Pursuit 2 and Paradise 2 in one game, could not be more excited, however I would've liked to see Criterion take a stab at car customisation. The only problem with the whole Autolog system is that none of my friends really like racing games apart from me so I'm going to have to ask some duders to help me out!!!

#5 Posted by TheHT (11098 posts) -

@Daiphyer said:

I still can't get over the name.

Need For Speed: Most Wanted a Criterion game.

What were they thinking?

It's like, hey man, remember Most Wanted? Well this is, like, the Criterion version. We're gonna totally put Most Wanted back on the map.

It looked like Burnout, with some aesthetic similarities to Most Wanted, and of course there are coppers. Looked fun enough, despite that crash cam that's getting very old for me, but my memories of Most Wanted are pretty precious. They're have to make a great game to counter them, and I'm sure they can pull it off.

#6 Posted by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

Will no one think of the first Most Wanted? :( That game was good. I see this is another one of those that's like 'Hot Paradise Pursuit' Oh goodness that sounds dirty, and good!

#7 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

God save the Queen.

#8 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

The one thing I want them to bring back is the car damage from Paradise, and I didn't see that at all in the demo.

#9 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

I LOVED the latest Hot Pursuit and I hope Criterion can deliver again.

#10 Posted by kidman (466 posts) -

I would pay $100 for a Burnout Paradise 2. Loved Most Wanted, didn't care for Hot Pursuit..

#11 Posted by NegativeCero (2988 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

God save the Queen.

That's the new meme isn't it?

#12 Posted by Redsox44 (482 posts) -

It looks like would want from a current gen Most Wanted. And 60 fps is awesome, only thing missing is Razor Callahan but I think I can get over that.

#13 Posted by Falconer (1683 posts) -

As someone who played Paradise for nearly 300 hours, yes, this pretty much Paradise 2. It's also as close to a sequel as we're ever going to get, to be honest.

#14 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

is Razor Callahan in this

#15 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I really liked Paradise, I haven't seen any footage of this but it is Paradise 2 I'm on board.

#16 Posted by 71Ranchero (2728 posts) -

I am super disappointed that they are doing this to Most Wanted. Most wanted was a great game, no need to build up hopes that they were going to make another just for it to be Paradise 2. Paradise was great in its own way, but if I want Burnout I play Burnout and the same goes for NFS. Crash cams do not belong.

#17 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I don't know why they didn't just call it Hot Pursuit 2... I thought it was actually Most Wanted 2 Black List / Boss Battle stuff I'm not that excited for it really I didn't care for Paradise open world I actually didn't like it.

#18 Posted by SirBlakesmore (6 posts) -

Burnout Paradise 2 (which makes me happy) - Stunts (which makes me sad)

#19 Posted by Helgi (79 posts) -

This looks like a cross between NFS: Hot Pursuit and Burnout: Paradise. I have never been so excited for a Need for Speed game in my life.

#20 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1817 posts) -

but who doesnt want burnout paradise 2?

#21 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I'm sure they would love you to draw that comparison given the quality of Paradise.

Whether or not it really is? Eh... I'm not sold.

#22 Posted by phantomzxro (1571 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

but who doesnt want burnout paradise 2?

I don't! Not saying it's not awesome but paradise was never my cup of tea. The open worldliness somehow toke away the pure fun factor of just racing. But to those who love that game enjoy.

#23 Posted by washablemarkers (92 posts) -

My only concern is that I'm not sure how the handling of Need For Speed will translate to an open world game. Burnout Paradise worked so well because they nailed the balance between the car and the city, while I've always found the cars in NFS to be a little heavier, and I'm not sure they will work as well.

#24 Posted by peterpasinili007 (73 posts) -

You can't wreck a damn car, so no!

#25 Posted by Iceland (163 posts) -

@peterpasinili007 said:

My sentiment exactly. No wrecks, no dice! I couldn't care less if I was driving a virtual Porsche or not. It's still only virtual. Being able to tear those cars to pieces is an integral part of the burnout experience. So in no way can I view this as Burnout: Paradise 2

#26 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

@Iceland said:

@peterpasinili007 said:

My sentiment exactly. No wrecks, no dice! I couldn't care less if I was driving a virtual Porsche or not. It's still only virtual. Being able to tear those cars to pieces is an integral part of the burnout experience. So in no way can I view this as Burnout: Paradise 2

What do you mean no car wrecks? You can wreck cars in Criterion's Needs for Speed: Most Wanted. Are you saying you can't dent cars at all or that they just aren't the light-as-feathers, trashable things that one constantly puts out of commission in Burnout?

#27 Posted by peterpasinili007 (73 posts) -

@Snail: Take down enemies.

#28 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

@peterpasinili007 said:

@Snail: Take down enemies.

What?

#29 Posted by peterpasinili007 (73 posts) -

@Snail: Destroying your opponent's car. Have you played the game, brother?

#30 Posted by KingX (220 posts) -

In Burnout Paradise you can wreck your car so that you can't finish the race as with NFS: most wanted you can of course crash and damage the car but no matter how much you crash you can still finish the race..

Also taking down opponents in NFS: Most wanted makes them fall back a bit but they are not OUT of the race as they would be in burnout paradise.

#31 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

@peterpasinili007 said:

@Snail: Destroying your opponent's car. Have you played the game, brother?

I asked because you weren't making a lot of sense. I know you can takedown enemies in Burnout. In Criterion's Hot Pursuit you can trash cars, though they aren't "taken down" as easily, and "crashes" aren't called "takedowns". I'm wondering how it goes in Criterion's Most Wanted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.