Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed Nitro

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 02, 2009

Need for Speed Nitro is an arcade-style driving game for the Wii and the Nintendo DS that focuses on illegal street racing. It departs from previous Need for Speed games in order to expand the franchise's audience.

Need for Speed Nitro

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Update #3:
    6 minutes of gameplay.

Update #2:
    2 minutes of gameplay. It now reminds me of SEGA's arcade racers in some ways... I doubt it will be as fun though.
    The engine seems pretty competent and is probably EA's best on the Wii, it's just too bad the actual game seems quite uninspired. Unless they have some clever tricks to make the different modes fun and engaging, we still don't really know much about them.

Update #1:
    Debut trailer. The painting is so random. And neat. And De Blob-ish. I saw it in that first gameplay video but I thought it was awful texture pop-in.

Original post:
    Some gameplay footage. It looks pretty good, but will it be fun? Ignore the audio.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I gave up on the Need for speed series a while ago. But I have to admit this looks like some "stupid fun" as they call it on the Bombcast.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

The handling reminds me of Daytona on the Dreamcast a little, plus boosting on top. If only it feels half as good as that.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Endogene

http://www.giantbomb.com/need-for-speed-nitro/61-25227/

Looks fun, wonder how it will turn out when its done, I really like the idea of a variable AI depending on the situation. 

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By randiolo

id rather play Crusing the USA on the n64

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's Cruis'n USA. I'd rather you went to play that also.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

It looks alright, but why would you choose this game over the other racing games already out that seem to be better?  Wii alone has better racing games than this (seemingly), let alone other platforms.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't know, maybe they have some compelling reasons to choose this when it's actually complete and we get to see more than a single racing track/mode? How would continuous footage like this look any more interesting for any game that isn't over the top crazy like Excitebots, or isn't about crashing into shit like Burnout? It's racing... It either handles fun and has enough modes, cars and tracks to last a while, or it doesn't...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I don't know, maybe they have some compelling reasons to choose this when it's actually complete and we get to see more than a single racing track/mode? How would continuous footage like this look any more interesting for any game that isn't over the top crazy like Excitebots or about crashing into shit like Burnout?"
    It's true, but it's just like those third person action games companies keep pumping out.  Unless they present us with the reasoning for making their game right off the bat, it seems it's just another 'me too!'.  Justify your game, developers.

Supposedly this NFS is supposed to be 'arcadey', but if it lacks the crazy elements of arcade games, is it doing anything well?  A game can establish uniqueness just by looking fantastic or having realistic looking handling or crazy elements like you said.

BTW, the voice that's talking doesn't even know their own company line on the games.  He's talking about NFS Shift for 360, unless they're going to try to tack the 'real driver experience' into Nitro as well now.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Personally I think it's all about the handling, that's the reason I loved Sega Rally in the Arcades and on the Saturn all those years ago, Daytona in the Arcades and on the Dreamcast, 4 Wheel Thunder (nothing like the crappy arcade game this) and Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. I'm not much into racers lately, other than the odd Trackmania United Forever run, but hasn't NFS always been arcadey?

I don't know about the voice overs, I guess it's possible the video makers fucked up. They were showing Spore Hero on another show (which looks pretty much like they took Spore and built an action adventure out of it, not bad but not great) and had Dead Space Extraction pop up as the game name, hah... Or they are putting such AI touches in this also, I see no "tack on" harm done, if it's even noticable during gameplay.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Personally I think it's all about the handling, that's the reason I loved Sega Rally in the Arcades and on the Saturn all those years ago, Daytona in the Arcades and on the Dreamcast, 4 Wheel Thunder (nothing like the crappy arcade game this) and Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. I'm not much into racers lately, other than the odd Trackmania United Forever run, but hasn't NFS always been arcadey?

I don't know about the voice overs, I guess it's possible the video makers fucked up. They were showing Spore Hero on another show (which looks pretty much like they took Spore and built an action adventure out of it, not bad but not great) and had Dead Space Extraction pop up as the game name, hah... Or they are putting such AI touches in this also, I see no "tack on" harm done, if it's even noticable during gameplay."
    I kind of feel like most games get the handling right these days.  It's rare that you have something like floaty cars now.  I do remember how distinct the handling felt in Sega Rally 1 at the time.  I thought they really messed up the Daytona Dreamcast port, and I didn't really like MSR or the PGR series until 2 and 3.  BTW, have you ever played Burnout Paradise?  You bring up Sega Rally, and I feel like Burnout Paradise is still the best game at delivering a realistic feeling vehicle.  NFS is all over the place these days.  It used to be about driving down rural roads as fast as possible, and it never had as much attitude back in the day.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

I thought the DC Daytona was very different to the original but very good all the same. It's not really a port.I have the first PSP Burnout, wasn't too interested after a while but yes, good game.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I thought the DC Daytona was very different to the original but very good all the same. It's not really a port.I have the first PSP Burnout, wasn't too interested after a while but yes, good game."
    It's funny one thing that bugged me about the DC Daytona was how much the wheels stuck out from the cars.  Sure they're supposed to stick out some, but in the DC version they stick out at least twice as much as in the arcade, looks silly.  The gameplay didn't feel quite right to me, and the online was bad (but I was on dial up at the time).  Ended up only renting the game, never bought it.

Burnout has gone through a lot of changes as a series too.  I loved 2, 2 actually reminds me of the old NFS games.  Some of those later ones kind of sucked IMO, but Paradise took things in a totally different direction again.  The PSP Burnout doesn't really have the same handling or feel, but it's good in its own way.  Anyways, Paradise has a much better handling feel than any of the others in the series, but I too get bored of playing after a while.  Good game for hour long sessions, bad game for playing all day.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some people had issues with the sensitivity on the DC Daytona but you can adjust it in the options. Personally, I liked the default setting. The visual style was great too, I still like how it looks actually... Bad quality video but oh well...

I think different tyre types stick out more or less. Above they stick out a lot but in this video not as much. I prefer the slimmer look too.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alexander

It sounds like guy is talking about a completely different game. "Authentic driver experience"... "physics"... please.

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By ferrarimanf355
    Al3xand3r said:
    "The handling reminds me of Daytona on the Dreamcast a little, plus boosting on top. If only it feels half as good as that."
    Kinda reminds me of the Cruis'n games, actually...
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17  Edited By Black_Rose

That looks really fun, I hate the whole look of it though, I want NFS to look realistic, not Mario Kart-ish.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Willy105

Why isn't there a page about this game on GiantBomb?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Cuz I don't care for points. Make it :D

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Willy105
    Al3xand3r said:
    Cuz I don't care for points. Make it :D
    Fine. I will.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Willy105

Oh snap! That's cool!

But does it have online?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

2 minutes of gameplay. It now reminds me of SEGA's arcade racers in some ways... I doubt it will be as fun though.

The engine seems pretty competent and is probably EA's best on the Wii, it's just too bad the actual game seems quite uninspired. Unless they have some clever tricks to make the different modes fun and engaging, we still don't really know much about them.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By mikemcn

i see why they made it cartoony but dam it Carbon was great fun on Wii in my opinion and that had some decent graphics (For Wii)

I don't want my Mustang to look like a hotwheels car, sorry , and i also dont want a Need for Speed/Mario Kart hybrid. They are two different games...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.