So NFS Shft may be the best NFS to date

• 51 results
#1 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

According to this 9/10 review. Do you think that this game is actually better than the Underground series or Most Wanted?
#2 Posted by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

Better than Most Wanted? Impossible!

#3 Posted by PufferFiz (1376 posts) -

FUCK DAMN IT, i was afraid of this, now I HAVE to buy this game :|

#4 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

Hopefully its better, more racing games to play.

#5 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

It's an IGN review...

#6 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

It looks like a really good racing game, but I don't know if it's even a Need for Speed game.

#7 Posted by Akeldama (4239 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" It's an IGN review... "
this
#8 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

No way. Most Wanted and High Stakes, motherfucker!
#9 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

looks good, but it doesn't push much... it's not going for extreme realism, or arcade gameplay, so all they've done is made one more racing game... one that isn't more realistic than GT and Forza, but isn't as fast and arcadey as Dirt.  It'll just be something to pass the time until the real racing games come out, but I think if you already own GT or Forza then there's no real point.

#10 Posted by vinsanity09 (210 posts) -
@Diamond: yeah I don't really like IGN since they gave 2.0 to God Hand on the PS2 (wtf?), but this was a good video review, I hate simulation racing game but now there's a chance that I'll get this game
#11 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

You know I personally think that NFS Porsche Unleashed was the best of the series. I really want to see if this game lives up to its expectations.

#12 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1159 posts) -

Most Wanted is certainly the highmark of the franchise to me. Shift does look interesting, though. Been a long time coming for a good NFS.

#13 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

I doubt it. Like, 100%, doubt it.

#14 Edited by tekmojo (2299 posts) -

Driving looks really fun, but no cops in a Need 4 Speed game, I mean what the fuck. Need 4 Speed III: Hot Pursuit was probably one of the best games along with Most Wanted. Put cops back in it and maybe people will care again.   

Playstation 1 version, still an awesome game.

#15 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

look like they just copy GRID.

#16 Posted by zombie2011 (4969 posts) -

Need 4 Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 was the best Need 4 Speed game. 

#17 Posted by sgjackson (528 posts) -

This may be an example of a game that is damned by its name. The sense of speed looks much better than GT or Forza (I fully expect the next Forza and GT to lift the ideas that convey this feeling for their next games), and the career progression looks interesting. Like I said in the comments for the QL earlier, while I think Forza will be the better game, I can't shake the feeling that I'd have more fun with Shift.

#18 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I don't take ign's reviews seriously, i'll wait for gamerankings with more reviews first. Still the game looks promising and the graphics looks really good, even better than other sim racers.

#19 Posted by Skillface (562 posts) -
@MrGetBonus said:
" Better than Most Wanted? Impossible! "
This.
#20 Edited by Johnny5 (1354 posts) -

Even if NFS Shift is a better game.

It's not a NFS GAME, it just has the license, nothing else. So I dont see why you'd compare apples to oranges.

#21 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Do you think that maybe the higher ups at EA think that they had enough of cops? They might think that because the last two games to feature cop chases fell flat, it was time to take things in a different direction for now.

#22 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Initial reviews are positive for NFS Shift:
Metacritic of 88% based on 6 reviews.

#23 Posted by super_machine (1930 posts) -

Better than NFS hot pursuit and NFS Porche Unleashed?

#24 Posted by Themanohall (397 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:
" Need 4 Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 was the best Need 4 Speed game.  "
That's what I was thinking.
#25 Posted by warxsnake (2639 posts) -

porsche unleashed will always be the best for me

#26 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@super_machine said:
" Better than NFS hot pursuit and NFS Porche Unleashed? "
Only time will tell.
#27 Posted by Aeterna (1117 posts) -

It's a really enjoyable game. Makes me want to buy some really good wheel for it as well.

#28 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -

you don't get no better than

#29 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

Even better then Most Wanted? I'm not sure that's possible.

#30 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Aeterna said:

" It's a really enjoyable game. Makes me want to buy some really good wheel for it as well. "

Tell us, how does it stand against the NFS games of the past?
#31 Posted by super_machine (1930 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
" porsche unleashed will always be the best for me "
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers NFS before it became an open world street racer/rain simulator.
#32 Posted by NickM (1067 posts) -

As far as I remember, Most Wanted is still part of the NFS series.

#33 Edited by zudthespud (3281 posts) -
@damswedon said:

" you don't get no better than

"

lolololololol
#34 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@super_machine said:
" @warxsnake said:
" porsche unleashed will always be the best for me "
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers NFS before it became an open world street racer/rain simulator. "
Agreed.
#35 Posted by Aeterna (1117 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @Aeterna said:
" It's a really enjoyable game. Makes me want to buy some really good wheel for it as well. "
Tell us, how does stand against the NFS games of the past? "
Well, It's still an initial impression after some hours but the carreer is pretty standard, but the cockpit driving is just incredible. You get a real sense of speed which at times is just scary. It made my stomach churn at some points. 
 The AI's also very impressive and the drivers will show "personality" some will neatly try to pass you while others aren't afraid to give you a bump which can easily make you crash. But if you do it to them; expect a bump back if they catch up to you. 

For instance in round 1 I'd pass the leader with a rough cut inside a corner and hit him, he proceeded to just stick behind me untill a sharp corner before the finish where he bumped me causing me to lose control and had a horrible position. I loved it. 

The only downside is the loading times, it may be my system or so but.. loading can take a little while, same for when you've selected cars to possibly buy. Should be faster really.
#36 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Aeterna: Ah that sounds good, but how would you rate this against past NFS games?
#37 Posted by Aeterna (1117 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @Aeterna: Ah that sounds good, but how would you rate this against past NFS games? "
I've not been a fan of previous NFS games really, and this is the start of a NFS Sim franchise so.. can you really compare them? It's tons better than the shit they've been putting out over the last couple of years, but that's hardly a surprise. 
I have to agree with the review statements: Easily the best NFS game in recent years, possibly ever. For me it probably is.
#38 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" You know I personally think that NFS Porsche Unleashed was the best of the series. I really want to see if this game lives up to its expectations. "
this, it's better than most wanted
#39 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

No cops= instant fail

#40 Posted by Packfan104L4 (209 posts) -
@Black_Rose said:
" No cops= instant fail "
Because yup, having cops on a closed road course is a GREAT idea of fun. 

Here's the next NFS Installment - Need for Speed: Concrete Pylons.  Ever wonder what it's like to plop heavy inanimate objects onto a race course.  Ever hit a solid object going 180mph?  Now you can!  First racer to the finish wins, if you live...
#41 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" You know I personally think that NFS Porsche Unleashed was the best of the series. I really want to see if this game lives up to its expectations. "
This man knows what he's talking about. Porsche Unleashed... Man, I just got a new laptop, first thing I installed was that game! Now I'm hooked!
It still lives up! Played it back in the day too, but back then I guess I was a tad confused about the complexity of this game. It just has so much content, so much love put into the details.
If you have a PC, pick this game up!
#42 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

yawn.........

#43 Posted by ObsideonDarman (641 posts) -

This Game is the Best Need for Speed to date with Most Wanted in a very close Second

#44 Posted by Red12b (9081 posts) -
@tekmojo:
Holy shit, Cheers for the nostalgia trip man,  
Damn back in the day that looked fantastic, It looks so bad now. :( 
Hahahaha Geesus
#45 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

I haven't played a load of NFS Most Wanted, but this looks awesome.

#46 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

Just make this again:  

#47 Posted by ObsideonDarman (641 posts) -

It would be cool if they done what Infinity Ward done with Call of Duty and branch of into their own Series (Modern Warfare) maybe this is what they are doing with Shift and the Need for Speed franchise.

#48 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

cool, i've been looking for the reviews for this game because the need for speed games haven't been all that great.

#49 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

WAY better than the poor Underground and Most Wanted series. It's not awesomely bad; but believe it or not bad (lame, poor, shitty) isn't necessarily a good thing, no matter how awesome.

This is the first game that makes me want a nice driving setup (force feedback wheel, multi-axis inertia chair/triple pedal combo, separate shifter).

One great thing about the game is that the subwoofer output works as a tactile channel for those of us who have invested in rumble attachments (aka "tactile transducers" such as the BKGR -- I own two) for our gaming seats. This means you feel the engine and the grip of the tires on the road(including the rumble strips, offroad, and impacts). EVERYBODY should own one, even if they don't play games (bassy music is fantastic with them). It saddens me that so many games either waste the subwoofer channel on lame sounds or simply don't use it at all (most common).

#50 Edited by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

If IGN gave this game a 9, then Forza 3 and GT5 both better get even higher than a 10. IGN is ridiculous sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.