Is the game really that bad??

#1 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

Sounds like a good concept for Need For Speed, but IGN torched this. Not that the reviewers there know anything about video games.

#2 Posted by jipearce (32 posts) -

It sounds like its a step back for the series - really more of the same. After the progress that was made in Shift and Hot Pursuit, its not such a bad thing. Sometimes its good to go back to the basics, and The Run just suffers from a lack of options. It still offers insane speed and thrills. Hopefully a patch will open the game up a little more.

#3 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

6.5 isn't bad.

#4 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

@ErrorOperator said:

6.5 isn't bad.

considering that 8 is the new 5, I would say that 6.5 is prety afful.

#5 Edited by SerHulse (685 posts) -

The problem I have is with the handling, I'd tell you to try the demo but I've been hearing that EA took it down, don't know if it's true. The handling is (IMO) really poor, it feels heavily assisted. Also the scripted and perfectly linear nature of it robs it of replayability (you can not actually lose the game). I would save your money, perhaps buy Hot Pursuit of you haven't already.

#6 Posted by MildlyPsycho (77 posts) -
@Hulsey90 That what Jeff said in the quick look too. And it looked to be that balance of handling issues across the car classes really isnt there. I think it is a real shame because I love the concept of a race across the country. This could have been so awesome.
#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@ErrorOperator said:

6.5 isn't bad.

But it's not good. It's just passable. Which in today's world of really good racing games is enough to warrant ignoring.

#8 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

I'm kinda glad it's bombing. Makes this week less expensive.

#9 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (342 posts) -

games great, handling is awesome, graphics are awesome, the set peices are awesome, colorado <3

#10 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@DrMcKittrick said:

Sounds like a good concept for Need For Speed, but IGN torched this. Not that the reviewers there know anything about video games.

A 6.5 isn't that bad...

#11 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

rental

#12 Posted by Sawboss (95 posts) -

If nothing else the quick look and jeff's review has made me want to pop in 2010 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

#13 Posted by sparks50 (373 posts) -

@Ethan_Raiden said:

games great, handling is awesome, graphics are awesome, the set peices are awesome, colorado <3

This. For me the handling in NFS games has always been terrible, but thats not what the series is about. I played it on a keyboard.

I haven't had this fun in a NFS game since Most Wanted.

#14 Posted by Asmo917 (411 posts) -

Great concept, good driving mechanics, QTEs look spectacular but don't let you focus on what's going on. Story is terribly executed and wastes the great Cannonball Run premise, voice acting is terrible, and the accents put in around the main story, like Rivals, are just silly and superfluous.

I'll play it for the three hours needed to farm about 300 GS out of it, then probably trade it in. And I NEVER trade games in.

#15 Posted by AndyMP (226 posts) -

A flat out racer like this shouldn't be so scripted. The ones where you have to overtake 10 other racers for instance are practically the same every time you repeat the race. I know that the last few cars will always appear just before the finish line. Which inevitably means that it'll take a few tries which just makes the scripting more obvious. Longevity shouldn't have to be manufactured. If it was a truly honest racer it would have the potential to be a good game.

The idea for having a cross country racer is a good one but the way it was executed here is disappointing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.