Need for Speed: The Run Is a Video Game, if This Leaked Trailer, Box Art and Release Date Are to Be Believed

• 83 results
Posted by Alex (2160 posts) -

If there is any greater bane of game publishers everywhere than that of enthusiast press, it's retailers. Get a marketing/sales executive good and drunk some night, and they will undoubtedly regale you with tempestuous tales of botched campaigns, miserable sales meetings, and precisely the kind of wanton disregard for confidentiality that reared its ugly head today, when UK retailer ShopTo.net decided to just up and post a bunch of info for the as-yet-unannounced EA racing game, Need for Speed: The Run.
Whoops.

Pictured: Video game box art.
Merely letting slip the simple existence of such a title would typically be an amusing enough foible, but this time, ShopTo even posted the box art (which you can see immediately to the right of this sentence), a short cinematic trailer (which is embedded via grainy YouTube link below--be forewarned, it may get pulled at any moment), and a release date of November 18, 2011 in the UK. Hey, that's my birthday!

Just in case it gets pulled, the trailer offers a glimpse of a return to story-based driving for the series. It's got racing, cop chases, and a guy about to get killed by a speeding train, as well as the tag line "The Race of Your Life." Though we see no sign of him in the trailer, we can only hope and pray that The Run will mark the return of Razor Callahan, for whom we at Giant Bomb have left a candle burning lo these many absent years. Please, come home to us, Razor. We miss you terribly. == TEASER ==

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Alex (2160 posts) -

If there is any greater bane of game publishers everywhere than that of enthusiast press, it's retailers. Get a marketing/sales executive good and drunk some night, and they will undoubtedly regale you with tempestuous tales of botched campaigns, miserable sales meetings, and precisely the kind of wanton disregard for confidentiality that reared its ugly head today, when UK retailer ShopTo.net decided to just up and post a bunch of info for the as-yet-unannounced EA racing game, Need for Speed: The Run.
Whoops.

Pictured: Video game box art.
Merely letting slip the simple existence of such a title would typically be an amusing enough foible, but this time, ShopTo even posted the box art (which you can see immediately to the right of this sentence), a short cinematic trailer (which is embedded via grainy YouTube link below--be forewarned, it may get pulled at any moment), and a release date of November 18, 2011 in the UK. Hey, that's my birthday!

Just in case it gets pulled, the trailer offers a glimpse of a return to story-based driving for the series. It's got racing, cop chases, and a guy about to get killed by a speeding train, as well as the tag line "The Race of Your Life." Though we see no sign of him in the trailer, we can only hope and pray that The Run will mark the return of Razor Callahan, for whom we at Giant Bomb have left a candle burning lo these many absent years. Please, come home to us, Razor. We miss you terribly. == TEASER ==

Staff Online
#2 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

So only segment races then, I take it? 

#3 Edited by Chubbaluphigous (571 posts) -

I demand Razor

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Razor Callahan is a ray of hope in the dark abyss that is the Need for Speed franchise as of late, barring Hot Pursuit.

#5 Posted by Solh0und (1773 posts) -

Looks like Hot Pursuit meets Split Second.

#6 Posted by KarlHungus (125 posts) -

Hey guy! Watch out for the train.

#7 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Or a carefully orchestrated ruse.

#8 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

Five Grand!

#9 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2102 posts) -

If it gives you the runs, I expect amazing skidmarks.

#10 Posted by MisterMouse (3553 posts) -

that is a lot of stuff to be leaked simultaneously...

#11 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

Uh, nice little clip.

#12 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -

So are we going back to the knock-off style of fast and furious style of NFS games?

#13 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

What a weird place to park your car upside down. :D    

#14 Posted by ChrisInCali (146 posts) -

They expect me to buy a game the week after Skyrim comes out.

#15 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

Not Criterion, therefore I do not care.

Also: it's another Need for Speed game with a story. It's guaranteed to be nothing more than average. Book it.
#16 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

a narrative focused racing game

seems like EA is pushing the need for speed brand a lot, they need to take it back a little

#17 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -

Damn.  This looks like it will be a cross country race.  You know like Cannonball Run except you know without the humor and excitement.

#18 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Great... I love racing games.  :|

#19 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

IDK about this. I think this series should go on hiatus for a super long time so they can think of something new to do for this series. 

#20 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

hmmm, i don't know, i think i need more than a trailer, box art and release date...

#21 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -
@RhombusOfTerror: The runs? No wonder this was leaked.
#22 Posted by brokenpilot (69 posts) -

If they drop the "the" in the title I would like it alot more.

#23 Posted by Googly (245 posts) -

5 grand says Razor won't return, but it would be amazing if he did.

#24 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

This is not Need for Speed.

#25 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Looks like Jack didn't TRAIN hard enough.  Eh eh eh.

#26 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Portis said:
" Not Criterion, therefore I do not care."
This
#27 Posted by OneManFreakShow (98 posts) -

I was severely disappointed in the repetitive and boring mess that was Hot Pursuit, so I do hope this one is better.

Or that EA tells Criterion to make a new Burnout Paradise so I can end my three-year-long addiction with that game.

#28 Posted by brokenpilot (69 posts) -
@OneManFreakShow said:
" I was severely disappointed in the repetitive and boring mess that was Hot Pursuit, so I do hope this one is better.Or that EA tells Criterion to make a new Burnout Paradise so I can end my three-year-long addiction with that game. "
You found Hot pursuit to be a repetitive and boring mess but have an addiction to burnout paradise?
#29 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Cross country by the looks of the trailer but  I have no idea what its about seemed to have cops and avalanches. I can only hope though that it is some how tied to the film Midnight Run, that was a good film.

#30 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

Need for Speed: Fast Five

#31 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

I like the idea of a story driven racing game, but the NFS ones have all been pretty terrible.

#32 Posted by Aphex666 (21 posts) -

Need more Hot Pursuit.  

Though this could be interesting if they make it The Chase of videogames with Charlie Sheen doing the voice of the protagonist.
#33 Posted by Jellybones (104 posts) -

Three Need For Speed games in 12 months?

#34 Posted by Jamsque (53 posts) -
#35 Posted by Delta_Ass (3279 posts) -

An 18th month? That's weird.

#36 Posted by Eribuster (489 posts) -

Explosions! Avalanches! Helicopters! Trains! All these things and more are after your racing car. Sounds like it might be really fun. I wonder who's developing it. Black Box, Criterion, DICE, Slightly Mad Studios, some other EA house, a new developer, or a combination of the above?

#37 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -
@Portis said:
" Not Criterion, therefore I do not care.

Also: it's another Need for Speed game with a story. It's guaranteed to be nothing more than average. Book it.
"
That about sums it up.
#38 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

I no longer have the need for speed.

#39 Posted by MrXD (240 posts) -

Hot Pursuit, Spit/Second and Burnout all in one?

#40 Posted by Duder_Me (307 posts) -

Alex it won't get pulled because the official NFS channel posted it as well.

#41 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2386 posts) -

The douchey goatee gives me hope that this story will be just bad enough to be fun. Intriguing!

#42 Posted by SharkMan (656 posts) -

man, i hope this doesn't suck complete ass.

#43 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

God dammit, EA. You build all this good will with Hot Pursuit and then throw it all away with this Michael Bay-like bullshit.

#44 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

EA is sure interested in flooding the market with Need For Speed titles. I mean, goddamn.

#45 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -
@solh0und said:
"Looks like Hot Pursuit meets Split Second. "

Which could be awesome!
#46 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

I am probably the only person waiting for NSFU3. : /

#47 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1369 posts) -
@Portis said:
" Not Criterion, therefore I do not care.

"
My sentiments entirely.
#48 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

I like Most Wanted. My favorite Need for Speed game of that era.....

Maybe it will be like that, but a little sharper....

@brokenpilot said:
" @OneManFreakShow said:
" I was severely disappointed in the repetitive and boring mess that was Hot Pursuit, so I do hope this one is better.Or that EA tells Criterion to make a new Burnout Paradise so I can end my three-year-long addiction with that game. "
You found Hot pursuit to be a repetitive and boring mess but have an addiction to burnout paradise? "
Tell me about it....
#49 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Oh EA do what you do.

#50 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

NO RAZOR CALLAHAN, NO SALE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.