Criterion Has A Need For Speed

Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -
You know, maybe it'd be cool if you put this guy in it? I don't know, just spitballing here.
G4's Patrick Klepek listens to webcasts so you don't have to. Or, really, so I don't have to. And for that, I salute him! EA's COO, John Pleasants, spoke at the William Blair Growth Stock Conference this morning, and in the process, he confirmed the previous rumor that placed Burnout developer Criterion on another game in the long-running Need for Speed series.

Here's what Pleasants had to say:
"We've taken the Burnout team and combined it with our Need For Speed franchise. So we now have that in our favor because that Burnout team is probably one of the more online-centric and notably high-quality game developers that we have out at Criterion."
Back when EA announced a pile of Need For Speed games to denote the game's different directions, a secret fourth NFS game was mentioned with no detail behind it. Looks like we now know who's working on that one. But what sort of game will it be? Surely they won't just make another Burnout game and slap the NFS name onto it, right? Right? No, seriously, they won't, right?

The specific mention of the "online-centric" nature of Criterion seems like it could make for an interesting non-crash-focused driving game. Those online features in Burnout Paradise and the team's persistent dedication to downloadable additions are a big part of why I've probably spent more hours playing Burnout Paradise than all of the Need For Speed games combined.

But if I may get cynical for a moment and jump the gun on a game that hasn't even been announced, let alone detailed, a Burnout-style game without a heavy focus on crashing doesn't sound like much fun.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -
You know, maybe it'd be cool if you put this guy in it? I don't know, just spitballing here.
G4's Patrick Klepek listens to webcasts so you don't have to. Or, really, so I don't have to. And for that, I salute him! EA's COO, John Pleasants, spoke at the William Blair Growth Stock Conference this morning, and in the process, he confirmed the previous rumor that placed Burnout developer Criterion on another game in the long-running Need for Speed series.

Here's what Pleasants had to say:
"We've taken the Burnout team and combined it with our Need For Speed franchise. So we now have that in our favor because that Burnout team is probably one of the more online-centric and notably high-quality game developers that we have out at Criterion."
Back when EA announced a pile of Need For Speed games to denote the game's different directions, a secret fourth NFS game was mentioned with no detail behind it. Looks like we now know who's working on that one. But what sort of game will it be? Surely they won't just make another Burnout game and slap the NFS name onto it, right? Right? No, seriously, they won't, right?

The specific mention of the "online-centric" nature of Criterion seems like it could make for an interesting non-crash-focused driving game. Those online features in Burnout Paradise and the team's persistent dedication to downloadable additions are a big part of why I've probably spent more hours playing Burnout Paradise than all of the Need For Speed games combined.

But if I may get cynical for a moment and jump the gun on a game that hasn't even been announced, let alone detailed, a Burnout-style game without a heavy focus on crashing doesn't sound like much fun.
Staff
#2 Posted by morningdrive (190 posts) -

the last good need for speed game was most wanted. If criterion is working on a new need for speed game what is going to happen to the burnout license?

#3 Posted by Rinkalicous (1339 posts) -

I guess it's time to find out if I dislike need for speed because of the people who made it, or i simply dislike need for speed because the game mechanics do nothing for me.

#4 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

True.

#5 Posted by TheBigBopper (68 posts) -

i doubt they will make another burnout game in next 2 years or so criterion takes there time with sequels e.g. black

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14352 posts) -

Criterion should be able to do the series justice.

#7 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I don't know about you, but I just want to play Big Surf Island.

#8 Posted by kitsune_conundrum (1202 posts) -

NFS:BO or BO:NFS?

#9 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

A good Need for Speed game finally?

#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Doesn't EA have enough Need for Speed titles in the works?

#11 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

not very excited, not sure how criterion will make the transition and not sure what this will do to the burnout series

but i guess i'll just wait until the final product comes out
#12 Posted by MrBeabo (37 posts) -

I'd prefer if they just added the option of cop pursuits in Burnout.

#13 Posted by GreggD (4482 posts) -

@RHCPfan: Yeah, I concur. Though, it will be interesting to see what they do with the Need For Speed license.

#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

I'm a bit skeptical about this one. Burnout Paradise was an excellent driving game but I'm not as into the NFS series, it'll be interesting to see how this one works out.

#15 Posted by SuperMooseman (358 posts) -

I just want Need for Speed to go back to how it should be.
Huge, varied open world.
Police chases.
Razor Callahan.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

Need For Speed: Razor's Revenge - Totally Burnout Edition

Why not just let 'Burnout' become their flagship racing brand?  'Need For Speed' is totally Top Gun... and not in a good way.

#17 Posted by agentboolen (1754 posts) -

EA is trying too hard to keep the Need For Speed license a live, let it die already most of those games suck anyway. Rather be playing Burnout!!!

#18 Posted by TOYBOXX (310 posts) -

I've personally lost interest with the Need for Speed franchise when they implemented driving for pink slips. It seemed that they were trying to cash-in on the The Fast and the Furious craze at the time which killed it for me. Burnout, on the other hand, was what I wanted and Paradise delivered. Whatever they do with NFS I don't care. I've got Burnout and that's all that matters right now. 

#19 Posted by Nadril (524 posts) -

A burnout style game with cop chases in an open world would be very, very awesome.

#20 Posted by bcrt2000 (53 posts) -

Sounds like a TDU competitor.

#21 Posted by PlatypusPlatoon (98 posts) -

I hope to God this doesn't mean the end of the Burnout series.  EA wouldn't go so far as to mess that up...   right?

#22 Posted by SilverShadow (187 posts) -

Razor Callahan + Criterion = Best NFS ever

#23 Posted by Coleslaw893 (409 posts) -

What is this? A possibly good Need For Speed game on the horizon?

#24 Posted by torus (1096 posts) -

Totally Speed, Totally Burnout.

#25 Posted by 1_879_116_9420 (96 posts) -

Burnout Paradise cops/robbers expansion seemed to please you guys in the quick look. I trust these guys to make a good Need For Speed game, and if there is one thing Burnout is lacking it is characters like Razor and Cross (in place of DJ Annoy and Annoyer)

#26 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

Awesome, the game will probably awesome. NFS needs that.

#27 Posted by Rio (592 posts) -

Criterion with licensed cars?  Im on board.

#28 Posted by idiotic_genius1 (416 posts) -

Man I just want a new Burnout game. The Need for Speed games are not for me, I have tried them but never liked any of  them. In fact the only racing games that I have been able to enjoy in recent years have been the Burnout games, mainly because when you crash it looks fucking awesome!

#29 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

I'm glad Burnout is taking a break.  I don't need a new Burnout Paradise any time soon, and I know for certain that Criterion isn't going to give me what I really want with the next Burnout (Burnout Revenge 2).  I hope Criterion is going in the more ridiculous, white-knuckle run-from-the-cops style of NFS, though, since that's the only Need For Speed I like (or rather, Hot Pursuit 2 and Most Wanted are the only Need For Speeds I like).

#30 Posted by lordofultima (6215 posts) -

This blows. Stay with Burnout, Paradise was the best racing game in existence.

#31 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

@lordofultima: They shouldn't try something new and different from their wheelhouse just because their last game was awesome?  That's an incredibly stupid thing to say.

#32 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Burnout should stick to its crashes

#33 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

We need more Razor Callahan.

#34 Posted by insanejedi (655 posts) -

We need a Need for Speed that isn't some bolt on wonder boy looking to get smoked by reviewers.

#35 Posted by Krisgebis (222 posts) -

The last good NFS was Underground (1). Everything from there has been shit. The last good before NFS:U was Porche Challenge. And up until that, every main title was a hit.
I don't know if they can bring it back, or if the world has just evolved past the NFS franchise.

#36 Posted by Jackel2072 (2239 posts) -

EA is just throwing everything at the wall and seeing if something sticks! To be honest i have not enjoyed a need for speed game in quite a while. the last NFS game i played and enjoyed was Underground, but mainly because the Fast and The Furious just came out, and the game satisfied that tuner craving i had after seeing that movie. I will remain optimistic though, i mean its criteron games. The news does make me a little sad, i really do want them to take another shot at making a Black game again.

#37 Posted by kuddles (87 posts) -

Guys, this is actually a good thing if you think about it.  You might prefer Burnout but the average consumer doesn't.  Even with the last Need for Speed having the most disappointing sales ever, it still sold much better then Burnout Paradise.  This move just lets Criterion make another great racing game but find a bigger audience due to the more popular brand name.

#38 Edited by ghostNPC (764 posts) -

Great. Now the cursed NFS franchise will infect Criterion with it's mainstream blandness and irritating Fast and Furious hiphop bullshit. Oh well, it was a good developer while it lasted.

#39 Posted by Kajaah117 (1070 posts) -

Woah, I must have missed something. Since when is Patrick working for G4? That's awesome.

#40 Posted by Kayrack (292 posts) -

i hope they keep working on burnout. 

#41 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Ok... if this isn't just the next Burnout, with the NFS name, i'm gonna go cry in a corner for a little while.

#42 Posted by ferrarimanf355 (404 posts) -

Criterion should be making a new Road Rash game, and NFS should be left to Slightly Mad Studios. That is all.

#43 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

Great, with Criterion at the reigns, this game has a chance to be good.

#44 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Meh, I've lost track of how many Need for Speeds there are...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.